U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,570,214 times
So true Jazz, it's like people moving next to a stock yard (that's been there for decades) than complaining about the smell. It was there first.
I laugh when people move to Cicero (Chicago) than complaining about the jet noise. Hello, that airport has also been there for decades. Bang head. RP
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM

7,479 posts, read 11,015,381 times
jazzlover wrote:
Suburban transplants seem unable to comprehend any type of shopping or retail experience different from the suburban ghettos they profess to wish to escape, so they transform every small town they infest with the very same thing that they had back in suburbia.
Although you are fond of blaming the BIG box stores on the transplant newcomers, in reality the presence of those eyesores and local business wreckers is due to the political influence of the corporations who own those things, coupled with the LOCAL politicians who are easily influenced by the lies they are told by the corporations.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM

35 posts, read 36,653 times
I don't know how some of you can regard the new stores in the south of town as eyesores. It's the only nice area in this cowtown. The rest is a blight, a total blight which should be bulldozed for new development.

Tell you what......I am an open-minded, educated person. Do you expect me to "fit in" with these people around here who have no conception of the rest of the country? They don't even take vacations to other states! You mention a national news figure to them and they look at you with a blank stare. I won't lower myself to their standards. THEY are the ones who should want to learn something from US, but they're too set in their ways. Jazz Lover is living in the past. I'm even surprised he owns and uses a computer.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Please enlighten us, why the h*ll did you move there then? RP

Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 PM

WhereToNext wrote:
I don't know how some of you can regard the new stores in the south of town as eyesores. It's the only nice area in this cowtown. The rest is a blight, a total blight which should be bulldozed for new development.
You are most welcome to your opinion, but for me, I think that part of town IS an eyesore. When driving thru there on my way to Ouray a few days ago, I pointed out to my friend from California that we are now driving thru the Californicated part of town, and he readily agreed. That part of town has absolutley no local character...it could be ANYWHERE USA! If you like that kinda stuff you can live almost ANYWHERE in the USA or Canada and feel right at home.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Please enlighten us, why the h*ll did you move there then? RP
I already told you why I moved here: the scenery. I didn't consider the rest, as I never had problems living anywhere before -- not with the calibre of people anyway. I will be smarter next time. Thank God I have the resources to go somewhere else. Lots of people, sadly, are stuck here. I feel sorry for them.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
WhereToNext wrote:
You are most welcome to your opinion, but for me, I think that part of town IS an eyesore. When driving thru there on my way to Ouray a few days ago, I pointed out to my friend from California that we are now driving thru the Californicated part of town, and he readily agreed. That part of town has absolutley no local character...it could be ANYWHERE USA! If you like that kinda stuff you can live almost ANYWHERE in the USA or Canada and feel right at home.
Local character? What's that besides "old and rundown." I don't like old stuff, as it depresses me. The past belongs in museums, and that's fine, as I enjoy history, but I don't want to live it on a daily basis.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM

7,995 posts, read 15,565,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
Jazz Lover is living in the past. I'm even surprised he owns and uses a computer.
I probably use more high-tech stuff than you do. I don't "live in the past," but I also don't think every stupid-ass idea that comes out of someplace like California or wherever is an improvement over some more "traditional" ideas and values. "New" isn't always better.

If you think that suburban big-box national chain retail clap-trap is the pinnacle of American society, then move--please.

As for "national news figures," you're right--I really don't give a crap what Paris Hilton or the Kardashian sisters are up to right now.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM

WhereToNext:
Local character? What's that besides "old and rundown." I don't like old stuff, as it depresses me. The past belongs in museums, and that's fine, as I enjoy history, but I don't want to live it on a daily basis.
Have you considered moving to Las Vegas? Just about everything there is pretty darn new. Seems like it might be your cup of tea.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:37 PM

If you have the ways and means to move somewhere on a whim (scenery) that's great. Most of us folks don't have those options.
It's not just Montrose, Kalispell and the entire Flathead Valley of MT has gone through the same thing.
Starting in the late 80's the CA crowd started their trek to the area and has never been the same since.
Lots of McMansions selling for $.60 on the dollar now. I guess that's what's they wanted. RP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado