U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM

45 posts, read 34,757 times

Advertisements

That's what this discussion is about, in part.

What's going to be the latest Western city to be "discovered"? I grew up in Gallup. It happened to some degree to Taos. (Fanta Se's been largely overdiscovered.) It's starting to happen to Silver City, I think. Another commenter mentioned Kalispell. I'm sure it will come to Idaho some day. Maybe even Wyoming.

Prices go up. Even before big boxes, yes, you get the Californicated frou-frou, a fair degree of which has already been run through the blender of either Fanta Se or Sedona. (Sister used to live in Prescott, so I'm plenty familiar with it, too.)

Flip side? Not all the newness is bad. I'll take a place with real coffee over the acid of an old diner. I will support the influx of newer opinion to such older places. (That said, we need about 50 million Western Europeans moving not just to small-town Colorado, but all parts of the U.S.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 PM

4,301 posts, read 3,974,924 times
The more the merrier. Although I think 50 million Western Europeans would be boring. Plus, what makes you think they'd want to leave Europe for Colorado or any other place in the US? Many countries in Western Europe have a higher standard of living than ours, the transportation systems are at least a 100 times better than ours and crime rates are far lower. Plus, the Alps have better skiing.

I say let's encourage 50 million South Americans to move to Montrose and the rest of Colorado. We have plenty of room for them with all these empty mountains on the Western Slope and the largely empty eastern plains. The Brazilians make a great cup of espresso and can teach us all how to do the samba. The Chileans turn out some great writers and poets - think Pablo Naruda. The Argentinians are great cowboys and the Mexicans make the very best Mexican food ever, plus no one can walk across hundreds of miles of desert like they can.

Water for all the new development and population influx? No problem. We'll just buy some more should the need arise. The land developers and the real estate folks will be in ecstacy and every former small town will now have skyscrapers and shopping malls. Civilization and prosperity at last. That's what Colorado needs and longs for - a population density greater than China's or India's. Everywhere in Colorado will be as perfect as Durango and Telluride. The Front Range will be even more wonderful than it is now with at least half of the 50 million new Coloradans choosing to live in Denver and Colorado Springs. Maybe Boulder could even lure in some garmet factories from Bangladesh! Let's go for it, people!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 AM

484 posts, read 678,179 times
If Montrose and Delta have now been discovered, then it might be useful to discuss formulas for NOT being discovered. How about the towns that DON'T have big box shopping, chain restaurants, friendly old-timers, scenery, health care, senior water rights, walmarts or good coffee? That might filter out most every town in Colorado, leaving only those fit to live in for us ornery types. Maybe only some eastern plains towns fit that profile.

On another positive note, the baby boomer relocation wave may be coming to an end, more states and countries will legalize cannabis, and the continued drought may discourage more population influx. If the front range cities and ski resorts go belly-up, then gas prices spike to $10/gal (as some predict) that could reduce Colorado popularity too.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 12-29-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM

I hope the Montrose discussion continues and hope I didn't stifle things. I look forward to visiting and maybe living there. It sounds like a lovely town with nice people, as are most Colorado towns that I have been to on the eastern plains and front range. I am proud to be a resident of this wonderful state - big boxes and all.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:23 PM

599 posts, read 804,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
If Montrose and Delta have now been discovered, then it might be useful to discuss formulas for NOT being discovered. How about the towns that DON'T have big box shopping, chain restaurants, friendly old-timers, scenery, health care, senior water rights, walmarts or good coffee? That might filter out most every town in Colorado, leaving only those fit to live in for us ornery types. Maybe only some eastern plains towns fit that profile.

On another positive note, the baby boomer relocation wave may be coming to an end, more states and countries will legalize cannabis, and the continued drought may discourage more population influx. If the front range cities and ski resorts go belly-up, then gas prices spike to $10/gal (as some predict) that could reduce Colorado popularity too.
Meeker is for you.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:29 PM

4,301 posts, read 3,974,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Meeker is for you.
Blech - too cold.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Meeker is for you.
intriguing suggestion. may follow up in a different meeker thread. i'm starting to love the cold.
maybe i would fit in if i don't talk politics or philosophy or religion. and its only a few hours from Montrose.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 PM

276 posts, read 585,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
I've been in Montrose since '04 and hate it with a passion. I wanted to live near the scenery. Well, I got that and that's about it.

Montrose natives are people who have no idea what's beyond the City Limit sign. They reject all forms of progress. This past summer, the City built a nice round-a-about at a formerly dangerous intersection which I happen to use every day. These locals hate it, as they never lived anywhere where you learn to drive to stay alive. They have no concept of what "Yield" means, so of course they have problems with a round-a-bout.

They complain about anything new coming in here, including national retailers. The south end of town is the only decent area here with the new stores and restaurants built in the last 4 or so years. I avoid anything north of there -- it's depressing as heck. Downtown? Forget it. I have gone to the TruValue and ACE hardware stores now and then, but I much prefer Home Depot, which the natives despise. They all go to the local places where their friends from high school now work. I have a whole network of people I rely on for various services around my house, but none of them are natives of this area -- I check that out when hiring people. If they're natives, I don't mess with them.

One good thing about this place, though, is that the taxes are low (property taxes, that is). But.....as friends have pointed out, you get what you pay for. They just dumped the curbside recycling program, so now if you want to recycle, you have to take your stuff to the putrid recycle center up there by the airport.

Most of the people here know little about current events, yet they are mostly Republicans. I ask, "How would they know what a Republican (or Democrat) stands for?!". Reading the Montrose Press surely is no educational adventure.

I have a nice house here with a gorgeous view, cable tv, internet, and a small personal library and Kindle, so I do keep up my mental health and further education. Good thing, as you will not find anything of challenge in this town, except that of putting up with the local ignorance and backward ways without your blood pressure going up every time you step out your front door.

I've lived all over the country, and Montrose is by far the worst place I've ever lived in. But it's SO pretty -- if that's enough for you, then move here, but it's not enough for me, and I'm looking for another place to call home, but I'll be cautious this time. I don't want to make the mistake I made in '04. I've had enough of The Clampetts, Western slope style.

Good luck.
I know that this is an older thread but this post echoes my feelings about Montrose to a T. The town's economy is stagnant and the natives seem to be just fine with it. They balk at any idea of growth even though such growth creates jobs and new opportunities. It seems like every month a new storefront becomes available.

Today, I noticed that the business with the best location in town (corner of Main & Townsend) is closing its doors. Buildings in prime locations all over town have been sitting empty since I moved here over a year ago and there's no end in sight. Meanwhile, the "big box" retailers and restaurants that natives despise on the south end of town seem to be doing just fine. Aside from the Safeway which is right in the middle of the neighborhood where I live, I do 90% of my dining and shopping in this area. The rest of the town is depressing.

I manage a branch for a large company and can tell you that the business climate in this town is VERY unfavorable. If you're an outsider who isn't part of the good 'ole boy network, you have no chance to succeed in the Montrose business climate.

The residents approved a ballot measure for a multi-million dollar recreation center which will probably become an albatross, yet they do nothing to improve the town's education system. There are a pair of decrepit schools that need to be replaced, yet money is wasted on other meaningless projects and initiatives. How about doing something to spur ECONOMIC GROWTH?

Old 08-10-2014, 03:14 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,684,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
I know that this is an older thread but this post echoes my feelings about Montrose to a T. The town's economy is stagnant and the natives seem to be just fine with it. They balk at any idea of growth even though such growth creates jobs and new opportunities. It seems like every month a new storefront becomes available.

Today, I noticed that the business with the best location in town (corner of Main & Townsend) is closing its doors. Buildings in prime locations all over town have been sitting empty since I moved here over a year ago and there's no end in sight. Meanwhile, the "big box" retailers and restaurants that natives despise on the south end of town seem to be doing just fine. Aside from the Safeway which is right in the middle of the neighborhood where I live, I do 90% of my dining and shopping in this area. The rest of the town is depressing.

I manage a branch for a large company and can tell you that the business climate in this town is VERY unfavorable. If you're an outsider who isn't part of the good 'ole boy network, you have no chance to succeed in the Montrose business climate.

The residents approved a ballot measure for a multi-million dollar recreation center which will probably become an albatross, yet they do nothing to improve the town's education system. There are a pair of decrepit schools that need to be replaced, yet money is wasted on other meaningless projects and initiatives. How about doing something to spur ECONOMIC GROWTH?
Perhaps California would be a better match for you?

Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 PM

276 posts, read 585,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Perhaps California would be a better match for you?
Absolutely not. But, seeing that people in California don't view growth and progress as an evil thing, maybe so. Keep in mind that I consider myself a conservative republican, but the stagnant economy in this town is a huge problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado