U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM

463 posts, read 948,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfeeney View Post
I was looking for more of an investment. I recently paid off all of my school loans and will have money spend. I saw low prices on some property in a great place with great people (most of them). I figure the housing market, although it may go down in the near future it has to rise eventually. My intention would be to buy some land now, sit it on it for a while until I find time way down the road to either build or sell. If I build, it would be a great place to visit and possibly live after retirement. The risk is low ($10-15k), and the possibly of reward seems pretty high.
Be very, very careful and do your homework. Colorado is ridiculously overvalued. Valuations are completely out of wack with market essentials. When you find a cheap place that's a "good deal" it may very well be worthless. You get what you pay for in this world. A lot of my neighbors have cabins in the high country and they love it. They love going up there and working on their cabins-to them, it's fun and not work. I've used their cabins and had a lot of fun doing so. It's great to get away and relax in the high country. But buying a remote cabin for consumption (for your own pleasure) is COMPLETELY different than buying one for investment. Ever try getting a sub-prime loan from a bank for a remote cabin with no utilities or infrastructure? Sure, you may be paying cash now, but when you go to sell it, you are severely limiting your market by selling to cash-only buyers. Money is tight. Liar Loans are a thing of the past.
If you want to buy a cabin, buy it for your own pleasure and enjoy it. Feel lucky if you can break even on it when you sell it. Along with the other caveats already mentioned, be aware that the Forest Service is closing roads that they feel are redundant. Just because you can drive to your cabin today doesn't mean that you can drive there 5 years from now. It doesn't matter if it's a public easement or not. They are the Forest Service and they do what they want.
Good luck in your search. It's really pretty up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,123,488 times
Hey OP, why not look at Hartsel or Fairplay? Both are reasonable in land price, and there's plenty of it. Close to recreation, hunting, fishing and only a few hours to breckenridge....

I constantly see 35 acre plots for sale in Hartsel, they may not have water and are in a valley, but if you find the right parcel, you'll have a few trees to look at.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM

7,170 posts, read 6,018,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What are you going to put on this piece of land? Why not save your money and go hiking in a National Forest when you get the urge? There are a lot of beautiful places in this country where you can pitch a tent and see nothing but nature at no additional cost other than what you already paid in taxes. For what you'd pay in property tax you could set yourself up with some pretty nice camping equipment.

smart man.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 27,980 times
My husband and I bought 5 acres in Blanca, CO last year. We spent $4700. I love the land! Its in a great location and even has road access on two sides! Nice!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-01-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM

87 posts, read 211,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
Here's my advice: interested in this area? FORBES PARK. Electricity: check. Snow plowing (for winter): check. You'll still get honky ass neighbors, half of which are crazy and occasionally a few who are running from the law (yeah, I've seen it with my own two eyes) even in the "rich" Forbes Park, but it's about the best thing available in the SLV outside of the northern valley by South Fork and what have you. Good views here, too, as well as trees. Rocky land, however.
I agree with Dr. Pepper. If you are looking for very affordable mountain land in a gated, restricted community, Forbes Park is the best bet in the SLV. It's far enough off the highway to feel remote and secluded, unlike some other mountain properties that seem to be a stone's throw from a major thoroughfare. The property is beautiful - aspens, spruce, pines and lots of wildlife (no hunting). You can camp there for 3 weeks at a stretch and there is a community center with restrooms, showers and RV dump. You can also get electricity and phone to your lot and the roads are plowed in the winter. The downside is the "honky ass neighbors" (bored retirees with nothing to do). However, I visit my property once or twice a year and have never had a problem with any of them, but full-timers may tell you different. However, as others have pointed out, if you need to be near big city amenties or a ski slope, it's not the place for you. Great place for summer visits though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or