U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 AM

15 posts, read 33,660 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm a former long time Leadville area person till certain things drove a lot of people away. I may need to move again and I really was wondering what things are like in that area now. I see the population has fallen by near a 1000 people Am not surprised.
Can anyone give any perspective or update what things are like. Don't really need a job but it would be nice to know they were done thinking they were Vail or Aspen on rentals and such.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM

3,869 posts, read 11,536,284 times
I know a family who recently move from Lead-ville,
I they cited a few reasons.
I don't think it has changed to much.

I believe the term south park was used...

Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM

463 posts, read 877,818 times
It's the same. As you say, there's a reason the population is falling, even though Climax is openning.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 PM

4,308 posts, read 8,357,231 times
Lugnuts, what's the latest on Climax. We hear it's opening, then it's not.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM

463 posts, read 877,818 times
Same old story. They keep promising to open. They guaranteed it would be open in the first quarter of 2012 and then that "deadline" came and went. People are working up there and my neighbor tells me that they are crushing a little ore and adjusting the new machinery. I really don't think it matters either way-the new Climax is only going to employ 350 people since it's so heavily automated. I guess that's better than nothing in an economic desert like Lake county. Here's an interview about Climax from the Western Mining Conference:
Colorado Mining Companies Say Markets Unpredictable | KUNC

Old 04-24-2012, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,915 times
I believe Leadville has a very affordable housing market compared to Aspen or Vail. There is a higher price to be paid when you live in such an amazing mountain community no matter which mountain community it is. Leadville also has some great things going right now. CMC-Timberline Campus is offering 4 year bachelor degrees at an extremely low rate which has potential to be a BIG economic driver, the Chamber also has an Economic Development arm which will be it's own entity by the end of the year. The ED group's focus will be on Business Retention & Expansion. I think to say nothing has changed up here is ignorant unless of course your involved in the community and volunteering your efforts to see changes made.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM

I would also like to add that even though Climax is only hiring 350 people, and yes the 1st bags of Moly have been completed, they have invested an incredible amount of money into Leadville since 2006.
The community park project has received $250,000 from Climax, the community college received $1,000,000. They have also awarded a large amount of $$ to the Advocates of Lake County for the crisis shelter.
Again, there are lots of great things happening you just have to poke around.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHVille View Post
I believe Leadville has a very affordable housing market compared to Aspen or Vail. There is a higher price to be paid when you live in such an amazing mountain community no matter which mountain community it is. Leadville also has some great things going right now. CMC-Timberline Campus is offering 4 year bachelor degrees at an extremely low rate which has potential to be a BIG economic driver, the Chamber also has an Economic Development arm which will be it's own entity by the end of the year. The ED group's focus will be on Business Retention & Expansion. I think to say nothing has changed up here is ignorant unless of course your involved in the community and volunteering your efforts to see changes made.
Well you may call it "ignorant" which what elitist do. I lived there a long time and the greenies moved in and got hold of govt and forced over 1000 people out there. That is why the population is what it is now. Climax is the same old story.
I would like very much to maybe go back and reopen my business I had up there. But not if its not friendly to those of us who don't tow the right political line. I happen to be a dirt biker, snowmobiler ( I guided for a Breckenridge company in the winter) I know they took the railroad from us to spend enourmous money so one person could have a practice track and put it under the guise of ding it for the whole community which while I was there never used it.

So How does that fit your elite lifestyle

Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM

My "Elite" lifestyle??? I'm not a rich person but my bills are paid. Sure-it might bee easier to make a living somewhere else but Leadville is where I chose to live. I am fed up with people talking about elitist and political climate.<br>It's pretty simple. If you want to see change then get involved and be proactive about change! I am a local volunteer and am proud to help organizations with my time and knowledge. There has been so many great things here in Leadville and I am a STRONG believer that there is room for everyone! The dirt biker, hiker, mountain biker, history buff, and just plain ol' hard working folks that choose to live in a rural mountain town.<br>Elitist????---I think not. I am just a simple mountain person that works hard and plays hard in what I consider to be one of the most special places on the planet. I have lived all over this great country of ours and I chose Leadville. I will raise my children here, retire here, and hopefully spend thousands of volunteer hours making my community better.<br><br>Oh and on another note, Leadville is not for everyone. To each his own <br>

Old 04-24-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHVille View Post
My "Elite" lifestyle??? I'm not a rich person but my bills are paid. Sure-it might bee easier to make a living somewhere else but Leadville is where I chose to live. I am fed up with people talking about elitist and political climate.<br>It's pretty simple. If you want to see change then get involved and be proactive about change! I am a local volunteer and am proud to help organizations with my time and knowledge. There has been so many great things here in Leadville and I am a STRONG believer that there is room for everyone! The dirt biker, hiker, mountain biker, history buff, and just plain ol' hard working folks that choose to live in a rural mountain town.<br>Elitist????---I think not. I am just a simple mountain person that works hard and plays hard in what I consider to be one of the most special places on the planet. I have lived all over this great country of ours and I chose Leadville. I will raise my children here, retire here, and hopefully spend thousands of volunteer hours making my community better.<br><br>Oh and on another note, Leadville is not for everyone. To each his own <br>

First of all if your not elitest the why call people ignorant. Second I lived there long before you did. So I think I have a pretty good idea of what Its all about.
My questions was put forward without malice to anyone looking for an answer. yet you decide I am ignorant. it was just this thing I was looking to

I know very well how it is to make a living there. I had a business there. Others had business there. I was a long time customer of the diner till they forced him out.
I would say if you are looking for people to bring the town back,get involved then your approach totally sucks unless you hope that it will be populated by only a "Certain kind" you deem not ignorant.

Evidently according to people like you my money is not welcome. I will keep that in mind. I can only hope your not representative of the entire community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado