U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 10,422 times

Advertisements

I am a single, twenty five year old woman. I am wondering what areas would be best in Colorado for me.

I am looking for somewhere that is dog friendly (at least a dog park, I don't need to bring him into stores), affordable, near hiking, and has a good town area.

I am not into the very preppy scene or in turn the hipster.

Ideally I would like somewhere that I could rent a small house with a backyard which isn't on top of my neighbors.

Although, I love kids, I don't want a place that is all families and am the only single person for miles.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

I am also willing to consider places outside of Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM

8,318 posts, read 23,771,642 times
Where you can get a job that pays a living wage--not an easy thing to find in Colorado these days--especially anyplace outside of Colorado's metropolitan "blobs."

Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 PM

319 posts, read 580,144 times
You probably need to start narrowing down your search. As jazzlover said, you'll have the best shot at finding a job along the Front Range -- the north-south corridor along I-25 that includes (starting in the south) Trinidad, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver/Boulder, and Fort Collins. There are lots of threads for those areas; searching them might be a good beginning for you. Each has its own pros and cons; strengths and weaknesses. Maybe start with Fort Collins...

Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM

19,417 posts, read 35,308,426 times
Zie, a bunch of cities in the I-25 corridor would work for you.

Can you tell us more about your job requirements? That would help.

Most cities are dog friendly with dog parks, though there are restrictions on pit bulls in some cities.

In terms of affordability, tell us your rent budget and we'll tell you what fits.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 PM

590 posts, read 1,869,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Where you can get a job that pays a living wage--not an easy thing to find in Colorado these days--especially anyplace outside of Colorado's metropolitan "blobs."
Yep, the employment opportunities for professionals out on the Front Range are way better than that blob you call the Western Slope.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 PM

590 posts, read 1,869,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie327 View Post
I am a single, twenty five year old woman. I am wondering what areas would be best in Colorado for me.

I am looking for somewhere that is dog friendly (at least a dog park, I don't need to bring him into stores), affordable, near hiking, and has a good town area.

I am not into the very preppy scene or in turn the hipster.

Ideally I would like somewhere that I could rent a small house with a backyard which isn't on top of my neighbors.

Although, I love kids, I don't want a place that is all families and am the only single person for miles.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

I am also willing to consider places outside of Colorado.
Denver or Fort Collins are probably your best bets. Boulder is nice but rentals can be expensive particularly if you want a fenced yard. What line of work are you in?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help and insight.

I am currently a preschool teacher, but my degree is in sociology. I am looking for a fresh start including a career change, but will use teaching as a fall back. I am interested in exploring my options in baking, real estate, administrative, human resources, or...anything else.

Right now I live just outside Washington DC in Alexandria, VA and in order to make ends meet I add a lot of nannying to my plate, but would like to only have one job when I move out to Colorado.

What other cities would you compare Denver or Fort Collins too?

Thanks again for your replies.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM

8,318 posts, read 23,771,642 times
Do not make the assumption that you can use teaching as a "fall back" in Colorado. Most Colorado school districts are in serious long-term financial distress. As a result, many are making teacher layoffs, not adding new ones. The simple fact is that the job market in Colorado is extremely competitive--and is likely to remain that way for a very, very long time.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 AM

I didn't mean fall back in that way. Just that if I can't find a job doing what I want, I think I will have the ability to babysitting or something like that until I decide what to do, but thank you for the heads up on the teaching thing.

Someone suggested Denver or Ft. Collins are they equally bad for teachers?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM

798 posts, read 1,133,973 times
A couple little stories:

My friend just scored a miracle and got a job in Denver. She's moving from Colorado Springs up to the big city. She beat out almost 90 applicants for her job- as an art teacher. Now, there aren't many art teachers around, so imagine how many more people would put in for jobs for elementary schools, high schools, for less specific positions.

If you were to look for jobs five years ago (when I did) there were pages and pages of jobs available. 50+ jobs to pick from. Now many school districts, at least here in Colorado Springs, have barely any jobs posted at all.

I don't think Colorado Springs would be a good fit for you, though! I think Denver or Ft Collins would be a good fit.

I know teaching isn't your desired area, but I'd really suggest looking in other states for teaching jobs, as teacher salaries here in CO are low and educational funding overall is very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado