U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 AM

208 posts, read 631,838 times

Advertisements

By Counties? Or whichever.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM

14,132 posts, read 24,645,036 times
Montezuma and La Plata.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM

8,318 posts, read 23,771,642 times
First of all, northern Arizona and southern Utah contain areas with very different climates. For example, Flagstaff and St. George have completely different climates, so what "similar climate" do you mean?

Instead of asking unclear questions on the forum, why don't you go to Weatherbase or NOAA Climate Summaries | Western Regional Climate Center and do some research on climate normals yourself? The Western Regional Climate Center even has a searchable map to locate weather stations and their associated data.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 PM

7,725 posts, read 15,617,456 times
jspyder136 wrote:
Are there any places in Colorado that has a similiar climate as Southern Utah/Northern Arizona
Since your questions is so broadly stated, I will answer in broad terms as well. There are just too many elevation differeces in such a vast area to provide you with a meaningful answer. Generally, the climate at a specific elevation in Southern Colorado will be roughly similar to the climate at the same elevations in southern Utah or northern Arizona. I wholeheartedly concur with jazzlovers suggestion to visit Weatherbase or NOAA Climate Summaries | Western Regional Climate Center

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-28-2012 at 07:19 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM

11,865 posts, read 18,901,429 times
I would say Pueblo. It's the most northern south west city and in many ways feels like New Mexico and Arizona.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM

15,391 posts, read 18,577,663 times
If I was going to do a comparison it would have to be with specific towns and cities and not a general area of a state.

Take Flagstaff. You can't compare the Flagstaff area with any part of the rest of Arizona. If I could match Flagstaff with a specific area of Colorado I would probably pick the Palmer divide area, specifically Larkspur. And I know about Flagstaff! Just six weeks ago I was headed to Phoenix to watch some preseason Rockies baseball, got caught up in a storm that went bonkers in Flagstaff. 2 days and 30 inches of snow later, I finally got to Phoenix.

With southern Utah, most of Colorado doesn't compare with the exception of the Grand Junction area. If you've never been on 191 south of Moab and never looked at a map, you would assume the drive to Monument Valley and Arizona is a piece of cake. NOT! Moab is 3990 ft. elevation and you really climb when you get to Monticello (fifty five miles south of Moab) as its elevation is just over 7000 ft. And the snow can really stack up in that area and to a lesser extent the town of Blanding. When you drop into Mexican Hat and Bluff you are down to an elevation similar to Moab with the climate being somewhat similar to Moab. As far as the southwest portion of Utah, Cedar City might be compared to Rifle in regards to elevation and weather. And one would assume that St. George, 50 miles south of Cedar City, could be compared to Grand Junction but you can't. St. George is 2881 ft. in elevation and its climate is more comparable to Tucson, Arizona with its elevation similar to St. George.

With Josseppie's suggestion of Pueblo, I would compare the New Mexico areas of Albuquerque, Socorro, and maybe Farmington regarding weather.

Just guessing anyway. I've logged a few hundred thousand miles in these areas though.

That storm that I got caught up on in Flagstaff last month wasn't a freak thing at all. That area always gets a lot of snow in the winter. Always.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: addition and spelling

Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 PM

40 posts, read 80,223 times
I would say based on climate the Four Corners Monument (the Colorado side) would be the closest in similarity.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 AM

7,725 posts, read 15,617,456 times
Good point Carson. If you have one foot in Arizona and the other foot in Colorado, the climate will be the same in both states!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM

178 posts, read 418,409 times
I went to Dixie Junior College in St. George, Utah and Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. What a huge difference! One climate resembling the Mohave Desert and the other where it could snow anytime from October 1st to June 1st. I think Colorado is going to more closely resemble Flagstaff when it comes to cold but there are desert areas of Colorado that will resemble St. George when it comes to precipitation. The climates of Kanab, Utah or Prescott, Arizona may fall somewhere in between the two extremes.

It seems like Durango, Trinidad, Cortez, Mancos, Delores, Walsenburg or Canon City might be climates that are somewhat similar to Kanab or Prescott. I say might be, because climates are always a tricky thing to compare in this part of the country. Prescott is also considered by some to be central Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado