U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 3,333 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NJ (have my whole life) and want to make a move to an area where I can do all sorts of outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding, etc. I'm not looking to live in the middle of nowhere as I would like to be near some stores for general shopping like a wal-mart, target, kmart or similar.
I am a 33 single man though looking to change that lol. I am looking at Colorado because that is where I have visited a few times (Denver & Boulder) and liked the overall vibe out there. If you have any suggestions outside of Colorado I would like to hear those too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 PM

8,318 posts, read 23,937,488 times
Figure out if or where you can make a living here--THEN worry about where you can go to goof off.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 PM

14,132 posts, read 24,840,173 times
How about Vermont? You can do all the same activities without having to fight the crowds or drive long distances to get to them. I prefer the vibe there to CO's.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM

319 posts, read 585,325 times
Default Are you ready to break ties with everyone?

If you've lived all your life in NJ, would you be moving away from all your friends and family? Unless you're truly wanting to start from scratch and totally reinvent yourself (which is fine of course), you might take that into consideration.

Like CAVA1990 suggested, there might be some New England possibilities for you, without living so far away from everything known and familiar. Aren't there some areas in North Carolina that might work, too? Unless, that is, you're looking for the BIG mountains, in which case you might add Salt Lake City UT or Bozeman MT or Oregon/Washington to your list. There are lots of threads here that discuss the question of living IN the recreational areas of Colorado vs. living in a more urban/suburban atmosphere and heading to the mountains for your outdoor adventures. It all depends on your preferences, values, priorities, work/career, and bank account.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 3,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
If you've lived all your life in NJ, would you be moving away from all your friends and family? Unless you're truly wanting to start from scratch and totally reinvent yourself (which is fine of course), you might take that into consideration.
Reinventing myself is pretty much what I plan on doing. I prefer the big mountains over the Northeast by far. I'll do some searching for threads about living in rec. areas vs. others as you suggested. Thanks all!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,531,711 times
Wink More options than maybe imagined

A place like Summit County in Colorado will give you big mountains and great access to hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding, etc.—at a price.

Included are lots of services, such as Walmart, as well as fairly ready access to all that in the Denver metro area at just over an hour's drive (under good conditions). But the reality most quickly run up against in this equation is where one can actually find employment, as well as afford to live. So for most, they end up in Denver metro and traveling into the mountains on occasion, rather than the other way around.

If you can swing the mountains, then you might consider something like Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Some great skiing there, and a beautiful area; also in close proximity to Teton and Yellowstone national parks. Services in the immediate area would not be as extensive as in Summit County (and all the more, as nothing like Denver anywhere near), but more so than a more remote ski town like Crested Butte, CO.

If thinking through practical necessity you might need to be in or near a metro area, then you might consider a place like Seattle, WA. Denver would be less expensive; culturally they are different as well; and the weather is distinctly different. No small consideration, so reflect on how much sunlight you prefer versus a landscape more green.

In most cases employment will be the deciding factor, but one might still land in an area with great to decent access to recreational activities. How much so will depend on part on how determined you are to see that happen.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM

7,735 posts, read 15,723,574 times
Unless you have a healthy cash reserve, take jazzlovers advice to heart.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM

590 posts, read 1,887,255 times
Colorado sure does have great mountains and outdoor activities, but employment is tight and wages are not always comparable to other parts of the country. Make sure you come with a job in hand. As others suggested Washington, Oregon, and Montana also have great outdoors opportunities. Washington probably has better employment opportunities, but it depends on your line of work.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM

11,786 posts, read 22,543,622 times
How about Idaho for mountains and employment?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:25 PM

7,735 posts, read 15,723,574 times
Beyond Boise, I don't imagine that employment possibilities would be any better in Idaho than Colorado, but I'm just guessing about that. Additionally, you would have more overall grayness to deal with in Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado