U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,873 times

Advertisements

Greetings all

I am currently in my 1st year of law school and this may sound silly, but ever since I first visited Colorado in high-school, I absolutely fell in love with the place. The outdoor recreation and the general attitude of the state aligns perfectly with my preferences and I feel that I belong in Colorado. I've spent a couple summers romping through the Rockies near the Estes Park and I find that through the school year, the mountains remain on my mind. The biggest hill I grew up around was my curb and the rockies absolutely blew me away the first time I saw them. This being said, I would like to try and make the move after law school.

I am currently in Kentucky and although I considered going West for law school, I decided for personal reasons that I wanted to stay east. I was wondering if anyone could offer me advice as to which cities I should be looking into and what steps I should take. I have a great legal job in Wyoming this summer and I'm hoping to make a few trips down to the Denver area to feel it out. I have a few friends who currently live in Denver and they just love it. While the Denver scene is probably bigger than I would hope for, I understand that Denver probably would be the best place to find a job. A lot of people also talk about Loveland as a wonderful place. What's the legal market like there?

My priority is to end up in a place that is closely linked with outdoor recreation. Some may think this to be a silly aim, but I find it extremely important. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,620,169 times
Seems to me there are too many lawyers here, especially the ambulance chasers who advertise on TV. There was a fairly large, long-established law firm that closed down last year: Report: Denver Firm to Fold at End of the Month

Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM

50 posts, read 98,815 times
A friend of mine is an attorney and moved here two years ago from New Orleans. She says that the lawyers here are way more cutthroat than in Louisiana! There are more lawyers here in CO per capita than any other state, so she's had to scrounge for work as do many other lawyers here. She's considering leaving the profession. She had to take a pay cut and isn't sure it's worth it to work amongst such unethical colleagues.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM

808 posts, read 1,175,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacadet View Post
A friend of mine is an attorney and moved here two years ago from New Orleans. She says that the lawyers here are way more cutthroat than in Louisiana! There are more lawyers here in CO per capita than any other state, so she's had to scrounge for work as do many other lawyers here. She's considering leaving the profession. She had to take a pay cut and isn't sure it's worth it to work amongst such unethical colleagues.
Interesting. I suppose its all a matter of perspective. I "practiced law" at a medium/larger law firm for several years in a smaller but high-end California coastal town. I put quotations around "practiced law" because it seemed to me the lawyers in the firm were billing hours so outrageously (to afford the cost of living in this desireable beach town) it made me go

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/files/images/march26.pic3.article.JPG (broken link)

If I wanted to participate in that firm and that community, I had little choice but to ... ahem ... play the game (like I imagine the Enron traders had to play the game while the music played). In Colorado, however, I can practice law without resorting to that nonsense. Not at the bigger firms, I imagine, which I suspect are the same everywhere. But I can afford to live (rather well) in Colorado on 1/3 to 1/2 the income it takes to eke out a living in a place where 2 bedroom shacks cost a million bucks.

Kudos to the OP for landing a "great" summer job in WY. If you want to end up in Colorado, that will be a good first step. Like anywhere else all throughout the history of the world, it's all about who you know. I made my own path more difficult by NOT knowing anybody BOTH times I moved to Colorado without a job (dictionary definition of "glutton for punishment"). The one (and perhaps only) thing that will solve this unfortunate but real fact of life is perseverance.

There are only as many professionals as a given market will bear. If there are gobs of ambulance-chasing lawyers in a particular area its probably because tons of people are getting injured by others and wanting compensation for it. The Soviet Union had almost zero lawyers per capita. For better or worse, lawyers are the by-product of a messy, free society. As an academic snob, I tend to agree there are too many unacreditted law schools pumping out too many "JD" degrees. Some will practice, others will not. The market (and who you know) will decide. So it goes.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
smdensbcs, great posting, thank you.

IIRC, that youngster in the photo grew up to be Don King....boxing promoter
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado