U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all for your input I truly appreciate it. I am traveling from Ky and it does sound like June is the best for me. I can see brilliant color at home and it is humid here most of the summer so I can tolerate the heat in Moab, I want to avoid snow driving through the mountains, especially from Durango to Ouray. I would be sweating it driving through there with snow on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM

8,861 posts, read 9,875,488 times
One thing in summer here. Even if it's 80 degrees, with the altitude it's going to feel warmer. Drink LOTS of water, then drink some more. And the best thing is, here if the humidity gets around 20% people complain, so it's very dry air, and very pleasant nights. This will sound silly, but bring a jacket. Have fun on your trip.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,872,228 times
It can still snow in June too btw at high elevations. It's not nearly as common as October of course, but freak snow storms do happen

and I don't know what you guys are talking about, the leaf change in the east coast vs here in the mountains? Lol

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM

19,399 posts, read 35,270,064 times
Chuckster, being from back east I understand that you're used to the hot and humid style of climate, even on a "hot" day out here, with the low humidity you'll find it much more tolerable.

Gotta warn you though, this climate will SUCK the water right out of your body. You must drink a lot of water when you get here.

With the thinner air, the sun can damage you quickly; we urge visitors to bring sunglasses, a hat with a visor or wide brim, sunscreen for fairer complexions, chap stick for the lips to they don't crack open and bleed, and a bottle of saline nasal spray else the linings of your nose usually dry out, crack and bleed. Most folks who move here get acclimated soon enough, but visitors can have a rough time of it, especially in desert-like area such as Moab and the Western Slope.

Please keep us posted on your trip and your opinions of the west.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM

19,399 posts, read 35,270,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
It can still snow in June too btw at high elevations. It's not nearly as common as October of course, but freak snow storms do happen

and I don't know what you guys are talking about, the leaf change in the east coast vs here in the mountains? Lol
Being from back east, the fall colors back there usually are much more vibrant and colorful, a rainbow of colors, unlike the largely green and gold of COLO.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Being from back east, the fall colors back there usually are much more vibrant and colorful, a rainbow of colors, unlike the largely green and gold of COLO.
Mostly golds, but we do have some red/orange here. But for me it's the combination of the colors and the sweeping vistas and high peaks which you don't really get on the east coast

Here are a couple I took last year

Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM

7,725 posts, read 15,604,834 times
chuckem wrote:
I want to avoid snow driving through the mountains, especially from Durango to Ouray. I would be sweating it driving through there with snow on the road.
Not if you keep the windows open!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM

15,380 posts, read 18,553,246 times
And while the high country can get a tad nippy at night in October, Moab's temperature is ideal. Temps will still be in the mid 80's with the low in the upper 50's. There will still be a fair amount of tourists but not like summer. Accomodations are plenty. And I would recommend the Moab Street Diner for breakfast!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And while the high country can get a tad nippy at night in October, Moab's temperature is ideal. Temps will still be in the mid 80's with the low in the upper 50's. There will still be a fair amount of tourists but not like summer. Accomodations are plenty. And I would recommend the Moab Street Diner for breakfast!
Moab Diner was good, I went in November and a few restaurants were shut down. I wasn't really impressed with any of the the food there. Moab Brewery was OK.

Some of the common places like Mesa Arch and Delicate Arch were zoos even in late November, can't imagine going in summer

Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM

7,725 posts, read 15,604,834 times
Snikt wrote:
Moab Diner was good, I went in November and a few restaurants were shut down. I wasn't really impressed with any of the the food there. Moab Brewery was OK.
IMO, Moab Brewery is about the best that Moab has to offer, but rather unimpressive as you noted. Eclectic Cafe is great for breakfast, but usually very crowded. For pizza lovers...no decent pizza in the whole town. Restaurants in Moab are very unimpressive overall. However, other than the disappointing food...I love Moab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado