U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
633 posts, read 770,749 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Not meant as a putdow. Just stating todays reality. A BS is todays equivalent of a 9th grade education in the 60s, but the wages it pays, doesn't provide the equivalent buying power.
Well...I beg to differ. Most jobs today won't even consider hiring you for a fast food job or a factory job without a HS diploma or at least a GED. So comparing a 9th grade education (in the 60's) to a BS degree today is respectfully...not accurate.

A BS in some fields does real well once you get a few years of experience under your belt...mine unfortunately does not. I agree a Masters is better but that is not what I have, so I have to make this work the best that I can.

However, what I have noticed about Colorado's job market so far is it is very competitive...so a BS might not mean much there in any field. But here a BS carries some weight in Marketing and Business fields, and Management.

Last edited by Mollym313; 05-13-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Bend, OR
2,648 posts, read 4,042,079 times
Reputation: 2139
You mentioned that Pueblo was out, but you might consider Canon City. With the prisons there, I imagine they might have a need for psych services. Canon is a smaller town/city and beautiful, although different from the mountains in NE Oregon.

Of course, as others say, Denver is probably your best bet job wise.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
633 posts, read 770,749 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
You mentioned that Pueblo was out, but you might consider Canon City. With the prisons there, I imagine they might have a need for psych services. Canon is a smaller town/city and beautiful, although different from the mountains in NE Oregon.

Of course, as others say, Denver is probably your best bet job wise.
I actually did like Canon City. The thing that concerned me about Pueblo is high crime for a town of 100,000. Thanks for your input.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:31 AM
 
9,609 posts, read 11,997,366 times
Reputation: 9125
I was looking around for a psych job for a psych RN I know who has years of experience in general psych and detox, along the Front Range. There is a surprising lack of facilities and services. I was rather taken aback.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
633 posts, read 770,749 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I was looking around for a psych job for a psych RN I know who has years of experience in general psych and detox, along the Front Range. There is a surprising lack of facilities and services. I was rather taken aback.
Did you try the hospitals in Denver? I noticed some have a psych units. Our hospitals are doing away with Social Workers and having the RN's become case managers. I have noticed that Co seems more difficult to get job information too.

I'm just seeing what's out there...who knows, Co may not be right for me as far as employment but it doesn't hurt to explore
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,289 posts, read 9,980,316 times
Reputation: 7930
Mollym313 wrote:
I'm just seeing what's out there...who knows, Co may not be right for me as far as employment but it doesn't hurt to explore
Keep exploring....you just might find your perfect job. In addition to experience and know how, being in the right place at the right time can open the door for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
 
565 posts, read 484,843 times
Reputation: 338
The farther out in the Eastern Plains you are, the higher chance of tornadoes for you. That doesn't mean that you won't find tornadoes in the cities (I remember one was over Miami a few years ago) or in the mountains (there's been one at Eleven Mile campground, in the valley between Pikes Peak and the Sawatch range, and a funnel cloud over Leadville)... all those tornadoes I just mentioned barely even rated on the EF scale.

Interesting pictures: Sunday morning funnel over Leadville | 9news.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
633 posts, read 770,749 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Mollym313 wrote:
I'm just seeing what's out there...who knows, Co may not be right for me as far as employment but it doesn't hurt to explore
Keep exploring....you just might find your perfect job. In addition to experience and know how, being in the right place at the right time can open the door for you.
Exactly! I learned that life is too short to not take some risks and try something different.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
9,365 posts, read 9,602,986 times
Reputation: 2858
I know you pretty much ruled out Pueblo but I thought I should tell you that the Colorado State Mental Health Institute in located in Pueblo and they just built a brand new forensic unit.

Here is the web site:

The Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo (CMHIP) is one of Colorado's two state-operated inpatient psychiatric hospitals. The hospital is under the direction of the Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS). The Mental Health Institute Division administers and oversees the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo and the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan. The Division is part of the Colorado Department of Human Services and is organized within the Departmentís Office of Behavioral Health and Housing.

CMHIP serves clients in the civil mental health system. Civil clients are referred for admission by the statesís Community Mental Health Centers. In addition, CMHIPís Institute for Forensic Psychiatry serves adults who are found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity or Incompetent to Proceed (defendants unable to assist in their own defense). CMHIP also provides evaluations of competency to stand trial for individuals referred for evaluation by the stateís courts. CMHIP has provided quality mental health services focused on sustaining hope and promoting recovery to Colorado residents since 1879.

The link: Colorado Department of Human Services | CDHS
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
633 posts, read 770,749 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
The farther out in the Eastern Plains you are, the higher chance of tornadoes for you. That doesn't mean that you won't find tornadoes in the cities (I remember one was over Miami a few years ago) or in the mountains (there's been one at Eleven Mile campground, in the valley between Pikes Peak and the Sawatch range, and a funnel cloud over Leadville)... all those tornadoes I just mentioned barely even rated on the EF scale.

Interesting pictures: Sunday morning funnel over Leadville | 9news.com
The low powered tornadoes don't scare me much...not after experiencing the worst. I can't even put into words how terrifying the Joplin tornado was to go through. People were sucked out of their bathtubs. It was horrible.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top