U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,181,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
If you live in Colorado, ask your insurance agent, about a windshield rider.
I pay $100 to get them replaced.
I have had three done this year, on two different vehicles, I had one done on a Tuesday, and it was cracked again in two days.
Be very careful if you have a star chip and go through the car wash on a hot day.
Good advice. We had a rider with our old insurance company and it saved us a lot of $$$. My '91 Honda Civic got 7 new windshields in 8 years!
Also, if there is a chip don't leave snow on your windshield if it's parked in the sun. When it melts the chip becomes a crack. Learned that lesson quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 AM

10,676 posts, read 28,491,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Define WE. Are you and cop getting hitched or flipping homes?
We as in he is buying a lovely town home for his puppy *Bruiser*, and I am his loyal, trusted real estate broker. I have too many children to bother with a new husband.

He did has not cited me for my current cracked windshield either. Yikes! Maybe I should get that fixed before Friday.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM

590 posts, read 2,007,406 times
I think most of those East Coast state inspection laws came from bygone days when road salt would eat through the frame so quickly the cars were in fact a danger to drive. With the galvanizing they have today it really isn't necessary on newer cars. Personally when I hear people talk about "junk on the roads in states that don't have state inspections" I think they drank the cool-aid and need to feel like they are getting something for their money.

A buddy of mine moved to VA on a short term work assignment. His truck failed for ball joints that didn't have any slop in them. He went someplace other than the shop to get them changed rather than deal with the "paint and pass" method at the first shop that wanted $1,500. This type of thing happens in many states with state required inspections.

I figure on 3-4 chips/cracks a year in Colorado. I replace the windshields when the crack makes it hard to see or when they become too pitted.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
I think most of those East Coast state inspection laws came from bygone days when road salt would eat through the frame so quickly the cars were in fact a danger to drive. ....
I knew a guy back in the early 1970's in Bal'mer whose Fiat convertible actually rusted in half from a corroded frame. He was driving down the road, hit a bump, and wham, grounded. He was unhurt, but after that he only drove his Harley.

The MD State Police used to issue inspection tickets for things like burned out or broken lights, obviously bald tires, missing mirrors, no mufflers, etc. You'd have to have that infraction inspected but in MD we didn't have routine inspections for all cars.

We had mandatory inspections in VA and I recall one bitter type who flunked me for a "loose" mirror. I switched to another gas station and always got passed by Mustafa, who I tipped $5 after each passing inspection. He looked like Saddam Hussein and he later opened his own gas station.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:02 PM

590 posts, read 2,007,406 times
Maryland is unique in that they only require safety inspections one time per owner, before they will issue metal plates. That's why you often see cars for sale that come with an inspection certificate. Buyers can be sure they are getting something halfway decent. Personally I think it would be even better if they allowed owners moving to Maryland to be exempt from the safety inspection. I lived in Maryland a short time and failed a safety inspection for brake discs that were too thin. As I recall, the shop replaced them with "used ones" that were a few thousands different in size, possibly even thinner.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:09 PM

13,632 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
...CDOT "cheaped out" a number of years ago and started buying road sand spec'd to less rigorous standards...bigger pieces of gravel are allowed in the sand.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Way back when--like 40 years ago--Colorado had a twice-annual vehicle inspection requirement, including a provision requiring replacement of cracked windshields.
Vehicle inspections are off-topic for those of us south of Colorado Springs and not in the CS to Fort Collins Front Range Corridor, I do believe.

I don't drive my old Chrysler in snow or the aftermath of the mag-chloride and gravel coated roads that we encounter during the winter.

It's bad enough to have a cracked windshield... especially if it's in the critical driver-side line of vision. But what's probably worse is a windshield that's so pot-marked that the afternoon sun renders it useless and should be replaced anyway.

I've got a theory that CDOT is in cahoots with the windshield companies and insurance companies. But in any case, our windshields and our roads leave a lot to be desired in Colorado.

Flashforward to Jazz; emissions inspections is what I was referring to. Old safety inspections predates me... sort of like the dinosaurs.

Last edited by McGowdog; 05-20-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
True.

Vehicle inspections are off-topic for those of us south of Colorado Springs and not in the CS to Fort Collins Front Range Corridor, I do believe.
Incorrect. The old safety inspection laws applied statewide and did until they were repealed. Emission inspections were a whole different matter.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:48 PM

I've had one windshield ding repaired since coming here in 2005; one of those roadside deals where they fix it while you wait; after they call your insurance provider and get the okay. Cost me nothing out of pocket.

A few years ago I replaced an old windshield in my 1999 Jeep as it had so many tiny nicks that when I drove into the sunlight it was like driving in fog. I took advantage of a special offer from a Jeep dealer on windshield replacements, they obviously recognize there's a market for replacing pitted windows.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-23-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM

833 posts, read 1,381,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Even for those of us on the East coast the law states that it either needs to be in the line of sight or be long enough that the windshield is a safety danger to its occupants to be ticketable. So if its not in front of me or the sun reflection on the star/crack is not annoying then I just leave it alone. If it annoying my ins co will send someone out at no charge and fill it in. I've only had one windshield that needed to be replaced and it was cheaper to deal with an independent shop than the insurance supplied shop and deal with the deductable.
That's in line with the unspoken rule I remember; so long as it isn't directly in front of the driver you can get away with the crack; once it crosses over to the driver's side it's fair game, especially if it is at eye level.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM

Topic is windshields.

Posts about rust, salt, mag chloride, etc, were moved to the Mag Chloride thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado