U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 PM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times

Advertisements

I will agree with most posts. I lived and owned a home moved from Climax. That area is called West Park. At the time it was to be the nice part of town. It has been allowed to run down badly now. So much is rented. Our home was a flattop and we were so proud to be buying our own home. Climax used to have housing on top of Fremont Pass for the workers and their families because of the difficulty of getting from Leadville to Climax. It really had about everything for them to get by. But with the improvement of roads etc. The sold the homes to employees first with no money down. I loved living in Leadville. The people were great and town had most of shopping we needed. Salida was not that far away down not up over passes. Summer is glorious. Myself, I did get cabin fever sometimes but then again I was a stay at home mom with 3 little kids 2yr and 15 mos. apart. Fishing and hunting and camping. For winter sport too. But you are 2 miles high and the history can be seen in old mines, old houses. Wonderful history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 03:49 AM

19 posts, read 90,517 times
Default Twin Lakes - Leadville

What do you think about this area? It looks very ncie but I am not sure about future growth.

Thank you.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Sid

12 posts, read 115,856 times
Twin Lakes is beautiful, as is the area around Leadville. Winter is long. Not much growth there.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 PM

19 posts, read 90,517 times
I also love the area (been there many times), but I am not sure if it would be a smart investment or not. It seems the prices of lots are kind of stable year after year.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:50 PM

210 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Twin Lakes is an area I'm pretty familiar with. Leadville is pretty depressed economically, especially since the Climax Mine was closed. But it has a lot of history and has a neat downtown area. Twin Lakes has seen a lot of construction over the past decade (15 years ago, there were about five houses on those hills, compared to all the houses there today) but there is not of change in terms of property values, so if you're looking for an investment that's probably not the place. There have been pushes in the recent past to develop nearby hills (especially the mountains across the lake, to the left in the picture posted above) into a ski resort, but the government has blocked any attempt to do this, and there has also been quite a bit of local resistance. There is a good mix of both people that live there full-time and people that only have vacation homes there and both in general oppose any large-scale development. I don't think there will be a lot more growth in that area in the near future-- many of the land parcels have been built upon already and few "desirable" parcels remain for development. I love Twin Lakes and find it to be a great area.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:31 PM

11 posts, read 130,127 times
Default Leadville

What is the crime like in Leadville

Old 06-30-2007, 08:33 AM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawleyA View Post
What is the crime like in Leadville
Google it to get actual numbers but it is low.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 PM

220 posts, read 700,972 times
Default Visited Leadville Once...

Visited Leadville Once... Not for me.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 AM

38 posts, read 178,524 times
Leadville is a town so small,if you sneeze riding thru,you'll miss it...lol......the only negative thing I know of is that it seems to be 20 degrees colder than everywhere else in the winter...but summers up there are relatively cooler on a positive note.I never hear of anything happening in Leadville per se as far as crime goes,but maybe gas and go's and dog theft?...lol....j/k

Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 PM

24 posts, read 48,866 times
Leadville is way bigger than a sneeze. Eagle County (Vail and Beaver Creek ski areas) has a bus that runs to Leadville. Leadville is not the coldest place in colorado and for those not familiiar with it, The dry cold is not nearly as bad as cold in humid areas. The road that the bus runs on is pretty scary by car but the road that goes to Copper mountain is not so bad. That will also get you to the Keystone, Breckenridge and Arapahoe Basin ski areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado