U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,647,995 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tempe for 4 years while going to ASU and still miss Arizona a lot. But when I lived there, I missed Colorado and wanted to come back. I like taking road trip vacations down there to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 AM

833 posts, read 1,431,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
I wouldn't agree with md21722's view on the climate in Colorado, but the possibilty of snow is from roughly Oct to April. That being said it rarely snows at a noticeable level in Oct, Nov and April. Even snow in December thru March will be spread out with only 15 days at the most of accumulation. The temperature will average around 45 degrees in winter.
There are times when the winter just won't end though - it starts to warm up and then it snows or a cold front comes through or something happens. The average date for the last frost in Phoenix is around March 16, in Denver it is May 20th. In Tucson I have planted tomatoes in the middle of February with no problem; of course I am doing that so they mature before it gets too hot and the fruit bursts on the vine, but if I were to try that in Denver I don't think they would last a week.

Compare this to Arizona weather. I have to speak from my Tucson experience, but Phoenix isn't too different in most respects. I like to say there is no weather in Tucson - it's sunny. There are no clouds in the sky and more often than not when the forecast talks about rain more than 4 days out it doesn't happen. We have the summer winds before the monsoon season starts, but even then it basically cloudless and hot.

In Denver (again I am focusing on the front range just because that is where most of the people and jobs are) it can be windy, it can be hot, it can be cloudy (everything from a few scattered happy clouds to overcast and gray), there may be gentle soaking rains, snow or thunderstorms that rival the monsoons down here (or what the monsoons used to be), and it can be any four or more of the above in a 24 hour period. It also cools off almost every night.

I remember one time in Denver when was 79 at 10:30 at night and I couldn't believe how miserable that felt. This is common in Arizona (both the late night heat and the misery).

In Arizona we all stand by the windows when it rains; staring in wonderment. In Denver there is usually an attitude of, "oh, yeah, they did say it would rain today, I might leave a little early to avoid traffic," or perhaps, "I'm glad I have covered parking because this hail is gonna smash up a lot of cars."

Quote:

One thing people must understand is that just because it can snow for 7 to 9 months of the year, all this means is that frozen precipitation is possible, and does not mean it accumulates and the temperature is 30 degrees the whole time. Usually January and March is when accumulation occurs, but it will melt within 3 to 6 days of falling, and is not the wet or damp snow that falls near the coasts. Snow always melts quickly in the Denver Area, and it never goes from 80 degrees to snowing in 24 hours but maybe once every other year, and when it does the "snow" falls briefly and does not accumulate.
Snow USUALLY melts fast there; especially in the spring and fall.

Personally, I HATE the Arizona weather; the monotony of it, the lack of seasons, the heat, etc, but some people love it.

New housing will look like new housing in Arizona, but perhaps a little less drab since the plain stucco look isn't as common so the houses will have more character, but they will still be on small lots with few trees (at least compared to the older neighborhoods).

There is a lot of brown, but there is also a lot of green, gold, white and other colors that come and go. And at the risk of sounding like Romney, the brown is the right color of brown. It isn't the same dusty, lifeless brown that dominates here.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM

49 posts, read 162,360 times
It's been some time since my OP and I thank everyone for all the wonderful information. With the help and ability of my husband'sjob we were able this past June, July and August to spend a second summer in Colorado,this time in Fort Collins. Was so helpful to be able to do this so that we could continue to check out even more areas of Colorado. I still love Colorado! I continue to check back here on this forum and read and research it has been incredibly helpful.
We have narrowed our decision on Fort Collins, for many different reasons and taken in and read many oppinions on this forum ,commute times,schools,etc., loved Longmont also but the job and commute time to his work we put first. Phoenix area is so sprawled out and I drive 45 min. to work and never think a thing about it because it was just part of life here. Reading on this forum I have found due to weather in Colorado that could be an issue.
Seriously, I love so many of the communities in CO it was somewhat difficult to narrow this decision down to even Longmont and Fort Collins.
There will be adjustments to the weather I know but since I HATE cloudy and rainy I knew that pacific northwest would not be for me.I am over the long hot summers here so extreme hot or humid would be out. I love dry and sunny! I know there will be some adjusting to the CO winters but when comparing the Front Range to Flagstaff AZ I think I can handle it.
It comes down to quality of life for me and I know that quality of life can be defined differently for each of us.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 20,716 times
Hi! I just happened upon this thread. We moved from Phoenix to Pueblo West, CO one year ago and I am so very homesick.
I told my husband that I can't stay here forever. I've agreed to maybe 2 more years then I'm going home. Colorado is beautiful but it's not home for me and never will be. I've never been so unhappy in my entire life. I literally hate it here. Everyday, I'm thinking about how much longer I have to live here. Hope you will feel differently after you are here. I thought I would too but I'm totally miserable.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM

129 posts, read 216,128 times
Would love to hear some reasons about why you hate CO so much.

My first thought would be the area of CO where you live.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM

10,612 posts, read 10,996,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymadison View Post
Hi! I just happened upon this thread. We moved from Phoenix to Pueblo West, CO one year ago and I am so very homesick.
I told my husband that I can't stay here forever. I've agreed to maybe 2 more years then I'm going home. Colorado is beautiful but it's not home for me and never will be. I've never been so unhappy in my entire life. I literally hate it here. Everyday, I'm thinking about how much longer I have to live here. Hope you will feel differently after you are here. I thought I would too but I'm totally miserable.
I am curious. Do you just miss the Phoenix area due to sentimental ties, or have you found your new home in Colorado to be less than what you had hoped for? Because if you moved from Phoenix to Pueblo West, I can see why there would have been a let down. Phoenix is a pretty big place and is certainly the center of the action in Arizona. Denver is similar for Colorado. I wonder if your homesickness would not have been so bad had you moved to the only Colorado city that is on the same level in terms of amenities and attractions as Phoenix?

Also, what was it that brought you to Colorado to begin with?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM

178 posts, read 486,853 times
I only lived in Phoenix for 2 1/2 years. Most of my time in Arizona was spent in the high country. I would take Pueblo West over Phoenix any day but I'm not a big city person. From Pueblo West you are close to the Springs and Pikes Peak and you are also close to the Wet Mountains, the Sangres and the Spanish Peaks. You also have the reservoir right out your back door.

On the other hand, if you live in Phoenix you can watch the Cardinals, Suns or Coyotes play, go to a mall or go gamble on the reservation. You have 2 zoos for the kids and all kinds of night life/culture.

It seems like if you're a city person you would hate Pueblo West. I lived in Canon City for awhile and I miss going out to Swallows Road at night to look at the stars. The only stars I saw in Metro Phoenix were the big jets coming into Sky Harbor.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 AM

10 posts, read 20,716 times
Hello! Well, Pueblo and Pueblo West is very depressing to look at for me. We moved here because my husband took a job teaching ROTC after retiring from the military. He wanted to be close to FT. Carson. I agree that I would probably be much
happier in areas that are north of Colorado Springs. But, that is not possible with my husband's job being in Pueblo. I miss my friends so very much and my 25 year old son who is still living in Phoenix. I absolutely cannot drive in snow. Can't do it. I have panic attacks every time I try as I remember spinning on ice in Flagstaff Az a few years ago. It's been one year since I have been here and I just want to go home to Phoenix. You would think after 1 year that I would have adjusted---but I have not adjusted at all. I have found the areas north of Colorado Springs to be beautiful---and I would most likely be much happier in that part of Colorado. But, I'm stuck here in Pueblo and I really don't like it here. There is nothing for me here. All of my neighbors are much much older than I am and I'm just so bored and lonely. A total "fish out of water". I'll take the summer heat in Phoenix over the lonely boredom that I feel here. Best wishes to all of you and thank you for responding.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,505,062 times
Living in Pueblo West would certainly depress anyone, so I can understand. However Phoenix to me is a total hole that is boiling hot.

If you are put off by winter driving you might want to try the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat Springs. They have day long classes on ice tracks with great instruction and you might find it will dramatically improve your confidence and knowledge of driving on snow and ice. They have a few more weeks of classes left before the season ends. Driving in snow and ice I don't find hard at all and half of it is having a positive attitude and believing you can drive in it. If you tell yourself it's impossible, that is the reality you will live.

Even as bad as Pueblo is, take advantage of the summers and explore Colorado. There is lots to see and do.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM

356 posts, read 512,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymadison View Post
Hello! Well, Pueblo and Pueblo West is very depressing to look at for me. We moved here because my husband took a job teaching ROTC after retiring from the military. He wanted to be close to FT. Carson. I agree that I would probably be much
happier in areas that are north of Colorado Springs. But, that is not possible with my husband's job being in Pueblo. I miss my friends so very much and my 25 year old son who is still living in Phoenix. I absolutely cannot drive in snow. Can't do it. I have panic attacks every time I try as I remember spinning on ice in Flagstaff Az a few years ago. It's been one year since I have been here and I just want to go home to Phoenix. You would think after 1 year that I would have adjusted---but I have not adjusted at all. I have found the areas north of Colorado Springs to be beautiful---and I would most likely be much happier in that part of Colorado. But, I'm stuck here in Pueblo and I really don't like it here. There is nothing for me here. All of my neighbors are much much older than I am and I'm just so bored and lonely. A total "fish out of water". I'll take the summer heat in Phoenix over the lonely boredom that I feel here. Best wishes to all of you and thank you for responding.
I would say no job is worth having an extremely unhappy and depressed spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or