U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times

Advertisements

My wife grew up in Prescott-AZ, so we visit there quite frequently. We lived in both Prescott and Sedona back in the late 80s. I really like the Prescott-Sedona-Flagstaff area, and every time I go there to visit, I wonder WTF am I doing in Grand Junction. Even in the Pheonix metro area which I despise, I love the desert vegetation, which looks so green compared to the relative barrenness of the Colorado desert in the Grand Junction area. Also, the Prescott climate is not nearly as extreme as the climate of Grand Junction. Usually, summers are not as hot, and winters are not as cold.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,462,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymadison View Post
Hello! Well, Pueblo and Pueblo West is very depressing to look at for me. We moved here because my husband took a job teaching ROTC after retiring from the military. He wanted to be close to FT. Carson. I agree that I would probably be much
happier in areas that are north of Colorado Springs. But, that is not possible with my husband's job being in Pueblo. I miss my friends so very much and my 25 year old son who is still living in Phoenix. I absolutely cannot drive in snow. Can't do it. I have panic attacks every time I try as I remember spinning on ice in Flagstaff Az a few years ago. It's been one year since I have been here and I just want to go home to Phoenix. You would think after 1 year that I would have adjusted---but I have not adjusted at all. I have found the areas north of Colorado Springs to be beautiful---and I would most likely be much happier in that part of Colorado. But, I'm stuck here in Pueblo and I really don't like it here. There is nothing for me here. All of my neighbors are much much older than I am and I'm just so bored and lonely. A total "fish out of water". I'll take the summer heat in Phoenix over the lonely boredom that I feel here. Best wishes to all of you and thank you for responding.
It is unfortunate you ended up in PW. As someone already suggested, you probably would be a lot happier if you were living elsewhere in the state. I've never really visited the town, only driven past it on I-25, but it's always struck me as particularly depressing. Do you have the opportunity to get out and visit other areas such as Colorado Springs or the Pikes Peak area or even come up to Denver? Road conditions here aren't that bad for very long and if you could take some weekend or day trips at least you'd get to see something a bit more uplifting. Is there any chance you could move closer to COS and have your husband commute? Even Fountain might be better.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM

49 posts, read 157,024 times
To Mindymadison, where to begin. First, I am sorry you are so homesick but I think you need more than a year. For me, this is not going to be a forced job related move and I am not sure how old you are either. I am 50 and have 3 kids and have loved Colorado and vacationed many times there and have spent two whole summers getting to know the area. I think are circumstances are much different. We are moving by choice, not because of a job relocation, however a job with his same company will make it an easy transition since the company he works for is also in Fort Collins.My oldest is 24 also, but she has graduated and is moving on with her life,fyi graduated NAU,Flagstaff and has plans of her own. We will visit each other often, Southwest Airlines has flights for under 100 dollars roundtrip,I love her dearly.

I don't really know the Pueblo area, so I can't really comment but driving thru it looked desert like with mountains in the background sort of like parts of AZ.Therefore, I am partial to other parts of CO, I don't want it to feel like AZ.

How much longer will you be in Colorado? Give it some time,maybe join a hiking group? What are your interests? Do you have other children living with you and maybe join parent groups? I could tell you places that I love and have seen in CO and go on about what I think of AZ versus CO but not knowing the Pueblo area well enough, I am not sure how much driving would be involved for you. I have heard great things about Canon city and Salida, we did a rafting trip and it was a blast,most of the things that we love to do there are outdoorsy.
I love to hike and here in PHX I go up Piestewa Peak and Camelback Mnt. often but they are a joke to me, compared to Pikes Peak and the hikes with scenery in CO (giggle).

Phoenix is full of restaurants,bars,shopping malls,theatres. I will miss parts of Arizona but not the summers and the huge city. Went horseback riding yesterday and even though it was a nice 80 degree day in February, I know what's coming,ugh.

Let me know if you would like some recommendations of things to do in CO, I just don't know anything about Pueblo. I think it is different when it's a choice and you want to move than have to move.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM

10 posts, read 19,198 times
Well, my spirits have been uplifted by all of you. Thank you for your understanding and your positive ways to think about my situation. That, alone, helps me a lot! Just a little conversation about the issue. I am 52 years old and lost my mom in Sept. of 2011. Then, I was forced to move to Pueblo in February, 2012 away from people that I have been friends with for over 40 years. (I grew up in Phoenix). I talk with my friends, of course, on the phone and have been back to Phx 3 times in the last year. It's like there are cement blocks on my feet when they drop me back off at the airport to fly back here. This is just not where I want to be. I miss my life. My husband and I are considering buying a condo in Phx. so that I can go there more often and stay longer. But, that would be weird to be there when he is here. So, maybe. I do want to visit Denver (when it is not snowing). I've heard that Denver has a nice zoo to visit and is a lot like Phoenix. I guess I resent having to move somewhere when I never wanted to move away in the first place. And Pueblo looks like a 3rd world country to me. The environment is all wrong for this city girl. I have no choice but to give it more time---but, I simply cannot be this miserable for the rest of my life. 2 more years seems like 200 years when you feel the way that I do. I miss my friends. I miss my life. It's the people in my life that I miss. Weather is really secondary. I will venture up north to Denver and explore that area one of these "warm" weekends. Thanks for talking with me.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
mindymadison....Good to hear that your spirits have been lifted. Seems like you are on the right track. IMO, the best thing you can do for yourself is to make peace with your current situation, then find a way to be a little bit happier than you currently are, and keep taking small steps to be a little bit happier still. From a happy state of being, you will be in better place to attract great ideas to live the life of your dreams.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,189,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
There are times when the winter just won't end though - it starts to warm up and then it snows or a cold front comes through or something happens. The average date for the last frost in Phoenix is around March 16, in Denver it is May 20th. In Tucson I have planted tomatoes in the middle of February with no problem; of course I am doing that so they mature before it gets too hot and the fruit bursts on the vine, but if I were to try that in Denver I don't think they would last a week.

Compare this to Arizona weather. I have to speak from my Tucson experience, but Phoenix isn't too different in most respects. I like to say there is no weather in Tucson - it's sunny. There are no clouds in the sky and more often than not when the forecast talks about rain more than 4 days out it doesn't happen. We have the summer winds before the monsoon season starts, but even then it basically cloudless and hot.

In Denver (again I am focusing on the front range just because that is where most of the people and jobs are) it can be windy, it can be hot, it can be cloudy (everything from a few scattered happy clouds to overcast and gray), there may be gentle soaking rains, snow or thunderstorms that rival the monsoons down here (or what the monsoons used to be), and it can be any four or more of the above in a 24 hour period. It also cools off almost every night.

I remember one time in Denver when was 79 at 10:30 at night and I couldn't believe how miserable that felt. This is common in Arizona (both the late night heat and the misery).

In Arizona we all stand by the windows when it rains; staring in wonderment. In Denver there is usually an attitude of, "oh, yeah, they did say it would rain today, I might leave a little early to avoid traffic," or perhaps, "I'm glad I have covered parking because this hail is gonna smash up a lot of cars."

Snow USUALLY melts fast there; especially in the spring and fall.

Personally, I HATE the Arizona weather; the monotony of it, the lack of seasons, the heat, etc, but some people love it.

New housing will look like new housing in Arizona, but perhaps a little less drab since the plain stucco look isn't as common so the houses will have more character, but they will still be on small lots with few trees (at least compared to the older neighborhoods).

There is a lot of brown, but there is also a lot of green, gold, white and other colors that come and go. And at the risk of sounding like Romney, the brown is the right color of brown. It isn't the same dusty, lifeless brown that dominates here.
I'll agree to disagree with you on the weather in Colorado. Colorado is also arid just less so than AZ, and both states have the brown areas as a result, though AZ has far fewer green areas than Colorado. The snow and frost in April and May is rare in CO, but if you can't handle two or three days of frost in April and possibly May with 70 degree weather occuring 90% of the time then CO is not for you. I'm always amazed how people can't see how great Colorado weather is, and the breif snow and cold is perceived as most of the time or forever. Of course it's cooler than Phoenix or Tucson, what place isn't? It sounds like you need to move back to Arizona.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My wife grew up in Prescott-AZ, so we visit there quite frequently. We lived in both Prescott and Sedona back in the late 80s. I really like the Prescott-Sedona-Flagstaff area, and every time I go there to visit, I wonder WTF am I doing in Grand Junction. Even in the Pheonix metro area which I despise, I love the desert vegetation, which looks so green compared to the relative barrenness of the Colorado desert in the Grand Junction area. Also, the Prescott climate is not nearly as extreme as the climate of Grand Junction. Usually, summers are not as hot, and winters are not as cold.
Anyplace looks green compared to Grand Junction, even Arizona! There's plenty of other places in Colorado that are green as I'm sure you're aware. You can live anywhere you want to!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM

49 posts, read 157,024 times
I flew to Denver to meet my realtor this past Friday and drive to Fort Collins to look at homes. Here I am getting off the plane prepared for very cold weather carrying my heavy down coat. To my surprise, that Friday in Fort Collins was crazy beautiful! It was warm enough to see some college students riding their bikes and believe it when I say some guys were riding with their shirts off! Then I heard it snowed lightly the day after I left. What I do know is Fort Collins on average from what I have researched is warmer than Flagstaff. All I can say is the weather was beautiful that day in Fort Collins, now I just have to get used to things there looking a little brown, but I am also looking forward to the change of seasons!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM

178 posts, read 463,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymadison View Post
Well, my spirits have been uplifted by all of you. Thank you for your understanding and your positive ways to think about my situation. That, alone, helps me a lot! Just a little conversation about the issue. I am 52 years old and lost my mom in Sept. of 2011. Then, I was forced to move to Pueblo in February, 2012 away from people that I have been friends with for over 40 years. (I grew up in Phoenix). I talk with my friends, of course, on the phone and have been back to Phx 3 times in the last year. It's like there are cement blocks on my feet when they drop me back off at the airport to fly back here. This is just not where I want to be. I miss my life. My husband and I are considering buying a condo in Phx. so that I can go there more often and stay longer. But, that would be weird to be there when he is here. So, maybe. I do want to visit Denver (when it is not snowing). I've heard that Denver has a nice zoo to visit and is a lot like Phoenix. I guess I resent having to move somewhere when I never wanted to move away in the first place. And Pueblo looks like a 3rd world country to me. The environment is all wrong for this city girl. I have no choice but to give it more time---but, I simply cannot be this miserable for the rest of my life. 2 more years seems like 200 years when you feel the way that I do. I miss my friends. I miss my life. It's the people in my life that I miss. Weather is really secondary. I will venture up north to Denver and explore that area one of these "warm" weekends. Thanks for talking with me.
I remember Phoenix back in the early 70's. It was a very different place then. I can understand why it would be difficult to leave family and the place where you grew up. Good luck getting back home.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbndgrl123 View Post
I flew to Denver to meet my realtor this past Friday and drive to Fort Collins to look at homes. Here I am getting off the plane prepared for very cold weather carrying my heavy down coat. To my surprise, that Friday in Fort Collins was crazy beautiful! It was warm enough to see some college students riding their bikes and believe it when I say some guys were riding with their shirts off! Then I heard it snowed lightly the day after I left. What I do know is Fort Collins on average from what I have researched is warmer than Flagstaff. All I can say is the weather was beautiful that day in Fort Collins, now I just have to get used to things there looking a little brown, but I am also looking forward to the change of seasons!
55 to 60 degree winter days are common along the Front Range. The snow that fell Saturday was just a flurry that accumulated and melted in 12 hours. Flagstaff is colder and snowier than Denver/Ft. Collins on average. Colorado Springs and Pueblo get about half the snow that Denver and Ft. Collins get as well. The mountains just west of Ft. Collins have many areas of large forests and greenery. The Arapahoe National Forest, and Roosevelt National Forest are nearby. In the summertime grass and deciduous trees are much greener in the city itself. I agree the desert brown of AZ is not as boring as the desert brown of CO though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or