U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 AM

529 posts, read 1,190,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymadison View Post
Well, my spirits have been uplifted by all of you. Thank you for your understanding and your positive ways to think about my situation. That, alone, helps me a lot! Just a little conversation about the issue. I am 52 years old and lost my mom in Sept. of 2011. Then, I was forced to move to Pueblo in February, 2012 away from people that I have been friends with for over 40 years. (I grew up in Phoenix). I talk with my friends, of course, on the phone and have been back to Phx 3 times in the last year. It's like there are cement blocks on my feet when they drop me back off at the airport to fly back here. This is just not where I want to be. I miss my life. My husband and I are considering buying a condo in Phx. so that I can go there more often and stay longer. But, that would be weird to be there when he is here. So, maybe. I do want to visit Denver (when it is not snowing). I've heard that Denver has a nice zoo to visit and is a lot like Phoenix. I guess I resent having to move somewhere when I never wanted to move away in the first place. And Pueblo looks like a 3rd world country to me. The environment is all wrong for this city girl. I have no choice but to give it more time---but, I simply cannot be this miserable for the rest of my life. 2 more years seems like 200 years when you feel the way that I do. I miss my friends. I miss my life. It's the people in my life that I miss. Weather is really secondary. I will venture up north to Denver and explore that area one of these "warm" weekends. Thanks for talking with me.
It only snows every few days in the winter in Denver and Colorado Springs. When it does it melts very fast. Last week it was 55 and 60 degrees most days, and the Colorado sun always makes it feel warmer and melts the snow quickly. The last big blizzard in Colorado was 2006, and in the 10 years I've lived here we have only had two blizzards. In comparison the east coast has had 5 in the same time period. Colorado is not a cold antartic state. Realize that you are from Phoenix and this is why you may think this.

Pueblo has the most mild climate of any front range city, with the least snow and highest average temps. I agree it is not the most flattering or happy city to live in, and I reccomend moving to Denver or Colorado Springs.

Try to Realize that you are from Phoenix and to you any snow even a tiny amount will seem like alot. Please realize that it's only snowed 14 inches this entire winter in Denver! We usually get and need alot more! so snow is in no way an issue and there's no reason not to visit Denver. Snow has been non-existent this year, and all a weather report means when there's snow in Denver is that snow will fall and by the next day it will begin melting. Think of it as a rain storm that lasts all night and is gone by morning.

Hope this helps and best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 AM

529 posts, read 1,190,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
I'll agree to disagree with you on the weather in Colorado. Colorado is also arid just less so than AZ, and both states have the brown areas as a result, though AZ has far fewer green areas than Colorado. The snow and frost in April and May is rare in CO, but if you can't handle two or three days of frost in April and possibly May with 70 degree weather occuring 90% of the time then CO is not for you. I'm always amazed how people can't see how great Colorado weather is, and the breif snow and cold is perceived as most of the time or forever. Of course it's cooler than Phoenix or Tucson, what place isn't? It sounds like you need to move back to Arizona.
Colorado is also definitely not a rainy state. It's not too far behind Arizona in terms or arid and dry climate.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,163,977 times
I sympathize with you Mindy. Even though I despise Phoenix, Pueblo isn't much better. The whole town looks like that run down area near 43ave and Indian School (Maryvale). I assure you though, that other cities in Colorado such as CO Springs, Denver, Durango, Boulder, FT. Collins, Glenwood Springs etc.. are much much nicer.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,252,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
There is a lot of brown, but there is also a lot of green, gold, white and other colors that come and go. And at the risk of sounding like Romney, the brown is the right color of brown. It isn't the same dusty, lifeless brown that dominates here.
Huh? Having just spent a week in the Tucson I was once again reminded of how the surrounding desert areas look very much more alive then anywhere in Colorado (or almost all of the northern states) in the winter.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM

895 posts, read 1,201,104 times
It is very very easy to go from Colorado to Phoenix. Trust me. I know dozens of people who have done it.

Phoenix to Colorado??? Not in this lifetime. Phoenix spoils you massively with abundant sunshine and near perfect weather, and even the summer mornings and evenings are amazing.

You'll miss it. Want Colorado? Drive to Flagstaff or the Mogollon Rim.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,163,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Huh? Having just spent a week in the Tucson I was once again reminded of how the surrounding desert areas look very much more alive then anywhere in Colorado (or almost all of the northern states) in the winter.
Desert foliage is much more dense in the Tucson area than in other parts of the Sonoran Desert. Just jump on I-10 or I-8 and head towards California....nothing but brown dirt, mesas and the occasional creosote bush.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 PM

49 posts, read 157,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Desert foliage is much more dense in the Tucson area than in other parts of the Sonoran Desert. Just jump on I-10 or I-8 and head towards California....nothing but brown dirt, mesas and the occasional creosote bush.
so, so true! I grew up in Dateland east of Yuma, I should know.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,252,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I know. But I was addressing Tucson and Phoenix versus cities on the Colorado plains. The natural vegetation of the latter will only be greener than the former in the months of May and June (when it is both warm enough and wet enough for the native grasses to green up).

Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 AM

129 posts, read 210,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I know. But I was addressing Tucson and Phoenix versus cities on the Colorado plains. The natural vegetation of the latter will only be greener than the former in the months of May and June (when it is both warm enough and wet enough for the native grasses to green up).
Phoenix has vegetation? When I was there I only saw concrete! Colorado Plains ... who mentioned there? Scary place!

Some of the area around Tucson definitely has green. My in-laws live there and also have a ranch in SE AZ. When I am there, I feel like everything is brown, but when looking at the photos there is a decent amount of green. I think it is the pervasive dirt that gets to my mind, though. When you look at this photo, do you see brown or green? There is really quite a bit of both, but its what the mind sees. For me, even dead winter grass conveys a better feeling than the dirt here. In Colorado I have not the dirt feeling, except over by Montrose.

These are both winter photos. One is at the ranch and one is Saguaro Nat Park.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM

49 posts, read 157,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Phoenix has vegetation? When I was there I only saw concrete! Colorado Plains ... who mentioned there? Scary place!

Some of the area around Tucson definitely has green. My in-laws live there and also have a ranch in SE AZ. When I am there, I feel like everything is brown, but when looking at the photos there is a decent amount of green. I think it is the pervasive dirt that gets to my mind, though. When you look at this photo, do you see brown or green? There is really quite a bit of both, but its what the mind sees. For me, even dead winter grass conveys a better feeling than the dirt here. In Colorado I have not the dirt feeling, except over by Montrose.

These are both winter photos. One is at the ranch and one is Saguaro Nat Park.

lovethehighcountry
Where is your in-laws ranch? My parents farmed cotton all over SE and SW arizona. My mom is in Tucson too. Is their ranch south of Tucson? I agree with your evaluation. Colorado has 4 seasons, the first summer was green all summer but they had more rain, last summer it started getting brown in August from lack of rain, but then you have fall with the changing of seasons and fall color, so IMO if you can get thru winter looking at the brown it's not like it is all year and I personally think the light snowfall breaks it up some with the blanket of white. There was the occasional afternoon shower last summer but sunny everyday!
Everyday in Arizona looks EXACTLY the same, and not to mention the summer heat. But I guess if you are from the East Coast it would be a nice change, which I would never move to the East Coast anyway. Colorado is a nice change but not to much of a change, I like dry and sunny no humidity for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or