U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,060,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Phoenix has vegetation? When I was there I only saw concrete! Colorado Plains ... who mentioned there? Scary place!
I don't know Phoenix that well but I assume areas north of the city look pretty similar to Tucson. As for the concrete jungle aspect, you can see that in any large urban area. And the Colorado "Front Range" cities ARE on the plains, and share it's natural vegetation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Some of the area around Tucson definitely has green. My in-laws live there and also have a ranch in SE AZ. When I am there, I feel like everything is brown, but when looking at the photos there is a decent amount of green. I think it is the pervasive dirt that gets to my mind, though. When you look at this photo, do you see brown or green? There is really quite a bit of both, but its what the mind sees. For me, even dead winter grass conveys a better feeling than the dirt here. In Colorado I have not the dirt feeling, except over by Montrose.

These are both winter photos. One is at the ranch and one is Saguaro Nat Park.
I see a lot of green in your Saguaro National Park photo. And the other (less lush because of colder winter temperatures) still has more green than you see in the Denver-area pictures below. Actually dry grassland is pretty extensive in Arizona as is coniferous forest so you could argue that in terms of natural vegetation Arizona has everything that Colorado has, but I've never seen a saguaro (or evergreen oak tree) in Colorado.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM

652 posts, read 530,509 times
I'm in a similar situation, moving from Phoenix to Denver soon.

Here's my take on it: Arizona's landscape, abundant sunshine, fabulous winters are phenomenal.. I love the desert and will miss it dearly.

But from a practical standpoint, living here 365 days a year is just not a viable option. Six months out of the year you're forced to either stay inside, or get out of state just to get away from the heat.

I am an active outdoorsy person,and living in AZ just doesn't work for me. Summers are atrocious, period. At the end of October I was just about ready to pack up and move to Alaska without any hesitation. After having spent a lot of money traveling to San Diego last year to get away from AZ's scorching summer heat, I made the decision to move to the awesome city of Denver . Summers are fabulous, and in the winter my Burton will help to stay warm ).

I still will be visiting Arizona as much as I can afford time-wise and money-wise, but in the winter only.

Last edited by Flavia84; 02-13-2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 PM

7,725 posts, read 15,626,133 times
jamesbndgrl123 wrote: last summer it started getting brown in August from lack of rain,

Not in Grand Junction. In 2012, there was NO green season in the nearby deserts. No grasses and almost no wild flowers. On the plus side however, no mud season either. The trails were walkable/rideable all year round.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM

129 posts, read 197,370 times
xeric ... it was kind of a rhetorical question.

Saguaro Nat Park is beautiful!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,743 times
Default Retirement areas in Arizona

I am in my early 60's and would like to look at Arizona as a place to retire. I am getting more sensitive to the cold weather, plus I work full time. I just feel more alive when I can get out on a daily basis and not be hindered by cold weather. I love the summers here so I might see how I can work something out. I would like a home in safe area with good public transportation. Can you recommend areas?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM

833 posts, read 1,282,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwins30010 View Post
I am in my early 60's and would like to look at Arizona as a place to retire. I am getting more sensitive to the cold weather, plus I work full time. I just feel more alive when I can get out on a daily basis and not be hindered by cold weather. I love the summers here so I might see how I can work something out. I would like a home in safe area with good public transportation. Can you recommend areas?
I'd suggest checking out the Arizona forums. They aren't as active as the Colorado forums, but they will be able to help you out. Have some budgetary info as well as other desirables ready so they can point you to the right area of the state; Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma would all meet your warmth requirements, but they are very different cities and where one might make you happy another would likely make you miserable.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 AM

10 posts, read 16,700 times
Default Phoenix AZ

When I move back to Phoenix, I will live in the North Valley. There are nice communities off of I-17 heading north to Flagstaff AZ. There is a new hospital being built on that corridor as well. Stay away from the area in the west valley called "Maryvale". Maryvale is not a safe area. But, that being said, there are safe communities to live in all over Phoenix. I am living in Pueblo West, CO and am not happy here. I am longing to return home to Arizona. I am preparing financially to be able to move back to Arizona in the next year. Colorado is nice to visit but it's not the life style for me. I love the heat and hate cold weather. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:55 AM

469 posts, read 628,298 times
I think there is something missing from the discussion. mindy mentioned it as one of her most important aspects of a cross-country move - friends. Leaving old friends behind can be heart-wrenching and making new, good friends can be difficult. That gap between old and new friends adds the element of loneliness that can make all the other adjustments in climate and scenery and culture seem insurmountable. Long distance phone calls or Skype video calls may not be enough to fill that gap. Sometimes a few visits with a therapist or minister can be enough to overcome the problem, but even then the advice given may or may not be in the best interests of the person. There is a lot of serious introspection needed, not to mention advanced social skills, and those are not easy skills to learn at an advanced age.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM

49 posts, read 147,647 times
Default So sad

We have been working on this for 2 years,my husband's company that he works for is also located in Loveland and Greeley, for the last two summers we were able to stay in Colorado on contracts with his company.

However, there are no positions available this summer for a contract nor a permanent position. I keep hoping something will come up but we started filling out apps in February and they have either closed the positions or decided not to fill them.

I know that I am trying to stay positive but I am so sad about this, kids are registered for school and I also have a job waiting for me and our eyes on several houses that would fit our budget. I really didn't think that his job would be the hold up.

I can't even look at pictures of CO right now Had hopes of climbing my first 14'er this summer. It hit 100 here yesterday, April 30th. Gonna be a long summer.....

Is this where I say you can close this thread?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM

19,425 posts, read 35,333,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbndgrl123 View Post
.... Is this where I say you can close this thread?
Sorry to hear that the good news has yet to arrive, but I'm going to leave this thread open for the good news that is bound to come your way, if not now, for sure in the future.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado