U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM

49 posts, read 157,094 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mike, you will be the first to know, when it happens
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 AM

73 posts, read 161,921 times
I am an AZ native as well. Born in Phoenix and raised in the 12th street and Camelback area mostly. I say 'mostly' because there was one brief moment in my life, as a child, that I was truly happy living in AZ. That one moment was back in the sixties when my dad took a job in Prescott and took us away from the hustle and bustle of big city living. I relished that one year when I was able to walk to school in the snow, live in a rental next to a small creek (I loved exploring), going to school where the teachers made sure you understood the lesson they taught, observing the attitude of local people being mostly 'laid-backed' and (or) honest and watching the seasons come and go. Speaking of "seasons", you're right OP! The only season in the valley of the sun as of late it seems is "hot", "hotter" and "are you kidding me?" This, however, is only one tiny factor in the vast equation of the reasons my wife and I are finally 'bugging-out' of AZ to our new home in Salida (CO). Our new home was also my final career project in design and in the development of construction documents.

Will I miss AZ as we are hauling the last load across the four corners area?...No! I know that CO is no utopia...Especially as of late (then again, name one place that is). It just that AZ's future tends to scare me more in the critical areas of just living here. I refuse to "list-bash" AZ on here. Some, such as yourself, know the problems here and those that look forward to moving here will find out soon enough. For the moment, this place (AZ), is still home to us that remains tolerable. Even through the hot 'dog-days' of summer!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:52 AM

536 posts, read 422,408 times
When I left Arizona I cried and cried, and cried some more. Of course I was just starting second grade and missed my friends. But I acclimated and adjusted to California and it's all been good since then.

You won't miss the heat for sure.

Your friends probably so, but you will make new. I know this from personal experience.

Have fun!

I of course will be reporting to Music forum to listen to some James Bond theme songs now.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotzonie View Post
I am an AZ native as well. Born in Phoenix and raised in the 12th street and Camelback area mostly. I say 'mostly' because there was one brief moment in my life, as a child, that I was truly happy living in AZ. That one moment was back in the sixties when my dad took a job in Prescott and took us away from the hustle and bustle of big city living. I relished that one year when I was able to walk to school in the snow, live in a rental next to a small creek (I loved exploring), going to school where the teachers made sure you understood the lesson they taught, observing the attitude of local people being mostly 'laid-backed' and (or) honest and watching the seasons come and go. Speaking of "seasons", you're right OP! The only season in the valley of the sun as of late it seems is "hot", "hotter" and "are you kidding me?" This, however, is only one tiny factor in the vast equation of the reasons my wife and I are finally 'bugging-out' of AZ to our new home in Salida (CO). Our new home was also my final career project in design and in the development of construction documents.

Will I miss AZ as we are hauling the last load across the four corners area?...No! I know that CO is no utopia...Especially as of late (then again, name one place that is). It just that AZ's future tends to scare me more in the critical areas of just living here. I refuse to "list-bash" AZ on here. Some, such as yourself, know the problems here and those that look forward to moving here will find out soon enough. For the moment, this place (AZ), is still home to us that remains tolerable. Even through the hot 'dog-days' of summer!
Oh, how very lucky you are! We stayed at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort and went whitewater rafting near Beuna Vista/Salida for a week during our time in Colorado last summer! Gorgeous area, but then all the areas that we visited while there were beautiful,IMO! Congratulations to you. I am not giving up hope, I just don't think we will get transferred this summer. I guess we just need to keep trying and if it's meant to be it will happen. We, at one point, thought about Prescott but found the schools were not so good. Arizona has changed drastically over the last 25 years! What was the deciding factor for your choice on Salida? Job?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 PM

Job? No. My career and business came to an end when I finished our blueprints for our home in CO. I am currently semi-retired (early retirement). The "semi" part is only because I still hold the responsibility of being a "long distance construction manager" with a very reliable, very efficient contractor 650 miles away. A lot of road trips and still a lot to come. It's exciting when we drive on our acreage and note the progress of the construction. Right now they're at finishing up the insulated concrete forms of the exterior walls.

I have always wanted to move to Colorado Springs for some 30 odd years. Family ties kept us in AZ during that time. Prior to seven years ago we never visited CO for about 20 some odd years. If we had road trip on our mind, we would settle going to the greater NW into Canada or to California. My father-in-law, on the other hand, would head off to ND from Sun City (AZ) to visit his relatives. His road trips always routed through CO. When it came to road trips, that man would pull double time to get to his point of designation without placing a single cent on the registration desk of even the cheapest motel (my mother-in-law would be exhausted each time they returned). They did have friends, along the way, where they would spend the night...Guess where? If you said Salida, you nailed it. My father-in-law was completely enamored with the area and even told his daughter (my wife), prior to his passing, that if he had an another opportunity to pick another place to live out his life...It would be Salida.

About a year after his passing, my wife came home from work and said, "Let's go to CO." She didn't need to tell me twice and off we went. Of course she had it planned and we drove directly to Salida, passing through Montrose and Gunnison. During this road trip, it hit me how absolutely gorgeous this state (CO) is and how much I wanted to move there. The change in venue from rocks, cactus, scorpions and 40 different varieties of dangerous snakes in AZ to trees, creeks, lakes and life in CO re-settled back into my memories. While we were in Salida my wife kept asking, "Well, what do you think?" I couldn't tell her right there. I knew what was on her mind, but Colorado Springs was still my selection to settle...That was until we drove there during this trip. Remember, our last visit to the Springs was a looooong time ago! To state that it has grown would be under-rated. Colorado Springs, to me, has grown into another mini-Phoenix.

Our choice for Salida came quick. Once we returned home, we talked about it and decided we needed to plan another road trip to look into Salida's real estate and to investigate the surrounding areas. A few months later we were off on another road trip to CO. When we arrived in Salida, we contacted a broker and she handed us a selection of available land to check out. It took us two days of looking at different properties. We went through every detail over every piece of property (a few of those details included water, electricity, septic, taxes, cost, trees, CC&Rs and of course views). On the second day, we were down to our last selections, when we spotted some land we liked. It had it all with the exception of it being offered by another realtor. In short...We bought it!

This will be the view from our Great Room and Covered Deck. It's all BLM straight across for about a mile. Again, "will I miss AZ?" Not a chance!

Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
^^^^^Pretty nice view to say the least! Do you know the names of the peaks?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotzonie View Post
Job? No. My career and business came to an end when I finished our blueprints for our home in CO. I am currently semi-retired (early retirement). The "semi" part is only because I still hold the responsibility of being a "long distance construction manager" with a very reliable, very efficient contractor 650 miles away. A lot of road trips and still a lot to come. It's exciting when we drive on our acreage and note the progress of the construction. Right now they're at finishing up the insulated concrete forms of the exterior walls.

I have always wanted to move to Colorado Springs for some 30 odd years. Family ties kept us in AZ during that time. Prior to seven years ago we never visited CO for about 20 some odd years. If we had road trip on our mind, we would settle going to the greater NW into Canada or to California. My father-in-law, on the other hand, would head off to ND from Sun City (AZ) to visit his relatives. His road trips always routed through CO. When it came to road trips, that man would pull double time to get to his point of designation without placing a single cent on the registration desk of even the cheapest motel (my mother-in-law would be exhausted each time they returned). They did have friends, along the way, where they would spend the night...Guess where? If you said Salida, you nailed it. My father-in-law was completely enamored with the area and even told his daughter (my wife), prior to his passing, that if he had an another opportunity to pick another place to live out his life...It would be Salida.

About a year after his passing, my wife came home from work and said, "Let's go to CO." She didn't need to tell me twice and off we went. Of course she had it planned and we drove directly to Salida, passing through Montrose and Gunnison. During this road trip, it hit me how absolutely gorgeous this state (CO) is and how much I wanted to move there. The change in venue from rocks, cactus, scorpions and 40 different varieties of dangerous snakes in AZ to trees, creeks, lakes and life in CO re-settled back into my memories. While we were in Salida my wife kept asking, "Well, what do you think?" I couldn't tell her right there. I knew what was on her mind, but Colorado Springs was still my selection to settle...That was until we drove there during this trip. Remember, our last visit to the Springs was a looooong time ago! To state that it has grown would be under-rated. Colorado Springs, to me, has grown into another mini-Phoenix.

Our choice for Salida came quick. Once we returned home, we talked about it and decided we needed to plan another road trip to look into Salida's real estate and to investigate the surrounding areas. A few months later we were off on another road trip to CO. When we arrived in Salida, we contacted a broker and she handed us a selection of available land to check out. It took us two days of looking at different properties. We went through every detail over every piece of property (a few of those details included water, electricity, septic, taxes, cost, trees, CC&Rs and of course views). On the second day, we were down to our last selections, when we spotted some land we liked. It had it all with the exception of it being offered by another realtor. In short...We bought it!

This will be the view from our Great Room and Covered Deck. It's all BLM straight across for about a mile. Again, "will I miss AZ?" Not a chance!
So jealous! I loved reading your story! I so agree with wanting to get out of Phoenix(heat) and the size of the city it has become! There are many other places in CO that I love, but decided on Fort Collins and Longmont due to the fact that our kids (14 and 16) would need to be in school and both Longmont and Fort Collins have great schools but still only a fraction of population compared to the greater Phoenix area!

We loved loved Buena Vista/Salida area!

Another factor was possibly getting a job transfer with the same company in Loveland/Greeley for my husband but like I said earlier,has not come through yet. Trying to stay positive.

Have you spent a full winter in CO yet? From everything I have researched Fort Collins is 5 degrees on average warmer than Flagstaff and gets less snow then Flagstaff. I can handle Flagstaff so not a problem. I just need mountains,arid and sunshine! I would love to follow your progress.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,253,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The are called the Collegiate Peaks.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
^Thanks Xeric. What are the names of each peak?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The one in the middle is Mt Shavano. Just left of that peak is the Angel of Shavano.

Mount Shavano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one right of and I hope I am not mistaken is Tabeguache Peak at 14,155 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbndgrl123 View Post
Have you spent a full winter in CO yet? From everything I have researched Fort Collins is 5 degrees on average warmer than Flagstaff and gets less snow then Flagstaff. I can handle Flagstaff so not a problem. I just need mountains,arid and sunshine! I would love to follow your progress.
Not a full winter and last winter was unusual. Even our contractor and his subs said it was mild this year compared to past winters. We went to Salida, for a few days at a time, during October, December, January, February, March and for the most part it was tamed...That is until April! We finally saw more snow on the peaks, a little in town and enough late afternoon wind to blow straight though the best denim pants. Yes!...It was cold! When we were there in April, the funny thing about the wind was, during the day it was nothing more than a breeze. Doable! Just before sunset, it would gain strength and made it as such where you couldn't feel your face. All-in-all, it was a crazy winter this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or