U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 AM

73 posts, read 161,921 times

Advertisements

I thought a few readers might be interested in a few 'quik pics' on the progress of our new place.

Crane lifting trusses into place.

Openings for windows and sliding glass door (left). Deck 1 will be constructed on the flip side of the exterior wall.

Front of home from driveway. Stucco, rock & gingerbreading (architectural features) yet to be added.

I have pics on the inside in the framing stage. It's really mind boggling and confusing to look at. I know it will be easier to see and understand once the drywall is applied.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:10 PM

49 posts, read 157,094 times
Gorgeous and congratulations, so jealous, lol! Still working on our transition, we just didn't realize that the nursing, RN jobs paid so much less in Colorado, but we have a new plan and hope to try again in the spring of 2014. We did get to spend 2 weeks this summer in the Breckenridge area and going to visit in September to finally get to see all the leaves change (on my to do and see list in Colorado). Keep posting pictures, I love looking at pictures of scenery in Colorado!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM

73 posts, read 161,921 times
Thanks jamesbndgrl123!

Yes! RN jobs, for some reason, seem to take a hit with take home pay. When I first heard about it, I thought it only applied to rural hospitals. Not so! One of our daughters is an RN at T-Bird and was looking into a job in the Lakewood area. It's going to be awhile before she and her husband make that move simply because of the reduced pay scale. Same holds true with our youngest daughter. She is a surgical x-ray tech, currently working out of T-Bird and found out she would take a hit on her pay scale as well. For what reason remains to be a mystery to us since no one wants to do the added homework on figuring out "Why?"

Anyway, before we bugged out for another week in the Rockies, I thought I would post some pics from our last trip. I finally had an opportunity to travel an easy designated backroad (per Guide Book). Enjoy!

Can you believe you can drag a camp trailer to this spot from the main road?

Same spot looking up the valley.

It was right about here where I begin to wonder if I was ever going to lock it up in four wheel drive. (Keeping in mind we had to drive this truck back to AZ)!

Another photo op down the road and "Yes" that is remaining snow packs in July on the highest peak.

Keeping a sharp eye out for critters while we eased over the "Whoops."

Just about the end of the trail and I only engaged the front once (LOL). Gentle rain off in the distance.

That's all I have for now.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM

4,119 posts, read 4,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotzonie View Post
Thanks jamesbndgrl123!

Yes! RN jobs, for some reason, seem to take a hit with take home pay. When I first heard about it, I thought it only applied to rural hospitals. Not so! One of our daughters is an RN at T-Bird and was looking into a job in the Lakewood area. It's going to be awhile before she and her husband make that move simply because of the reduced pay scale. Same holds true with our youngest daughter. She is a surgical x-ray tech, currently working out of T-Bird and found out she would take a hit on her pay scale as well. For what reason remains to be a mystery to us since no one wants to do the added homework on figuring out "Why?"

Anyway, before we bugged out for another week in the Rockies, I thought I would post some pics from our last trip. I finally had an opportunity to travel an easy designated backroad (per Guide Book). Enjoy!

It was right about here where I begin to wonder if I was ever going to lock it up in four wheel drive. (Keeping in mind we had to drive this truck back to AZ)!

Another photo op down the road and "Yes" that is remaining snow packs in July on the highest peak.

Just about the end of the trail and I only engaged the front once (LOL). Gentle rain off in the distance.

Awesome pictures....I miss the mountains!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 PM

49 posts, read 157,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotzonie View Post
Thanks jamesbndgrl123!

Amazing photos, onehotzonie! Keep posting. Yes, I am not sure either why RN's take such a hit in Colorado, but maybe more to do with so many people wanting to relocate to CO and just not enough jobs to go around, I suspect. Reading a lot on this forum has helped. My husband worked for Motorola for 28 years in the Valley before getting laid off. We knew his job was going away, but were prepared for it with a second career as an RN. We were looking forward to the change and freedom it would bring to look at other options besides living in AZ. I guess in some ways it's all a trade off, quality of life you desire vs less money. Putting the relocation off for now till next Spring.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:29 PM

10 posts, read 19,212 times
Hello! Well I thought I would look up city-data and look at my old posts. I was so very homesick having moved from Phoenix AZ to Pueblo West, CO. back in 2012. I am happy to say that we have been able to move back home to Phoenix and I'm so happy to be back home. I would love to visit Colorado again-- but not to live. Arizona is where all of my friends and family live and I will never move anywhere else again. To me, the important thing in life is to be around the people that mean the most to me. Arizona is my home and it is where I belong. Home is where your heart is!

Old 11-11-2015, 02:58 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
IMO, this is something I don't think people put enough value in before evaluating their move here. Colorado does a very good job of making good impressions on people who visit here. Its very easy to get sucked into the whole experience and think you can easily transition into the lifestyle. While many can, there are just as many who can't and once you factor in jobs, pay, and the cost of living on top of the loss of friends, family, and established support networks, it can be more effort and sacrifice than some want to take on.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:58 AM

5,602 posts, read 3,469,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStone777 View Post
I only lived in Phoenix for 2 1/2 years. Most of my time in Arizona was spent in the high country. I would take Pueblo West over Phoenix any day but I'm not a big city person. From Pueblo West you are close to the Springs and Pikes Peak and you are also close to the Wet Mountains, the Sangres and the Spanish Peaks. You also have the reservoir right out your back door.

On the other hand, if you live in Phoenix you can watch the Cardinals, Suns or Coyotes play, go to a mall or go gamble on the reservation. You have 2 zoos for the kids and all kinds of night life/culture.

It seems like if you're a city person you would hate Pueblo West. I lived in Canon City for awhile and I miss going out to Swallows Road at night to look at the stars. The only stars I saw in Metro Phoenix were the big jets coming into Sky Harbor.
You mention CO's mountains nearby as an option to hike, but dont forget in Phoenix we have the McDowell Mountains, Superstition Mountains, White Tank Mountains, South Mountain, Estrella Mountains, Camelback Mountain, etc, right here in town, and the hiking is absolutely superb. As for stars, where Im at in north central Scottsdale, there is a blanket of wonderful stars every night. If youre closer to central Phoenix, radiant light will no doubt cloud out the star visibility.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:18 AM

2,048 posts, read 1,457,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymadison View Post
Hello! Well I thought I would look up city-data and look at my old posts. I was so very homesick having moved from Phoenix AZ to Pueblo West, CO. back in 2012. I am happy to say that we have been able to move back home to Phoenix and I'm so happy to be back home. I would love to visit Colorado again-- but not to live. Arizona is where all of my friends and family live and I will never move anywhere else again. To me, the important thing in life is to be around the people that mean the most to me. Arizona is my home and it is where I belong. Home is where your heart is!
You're a wise person. Surround yourself with loved ones, and your locale becomes secondary...

Old 11-18-2015, 09:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,269,926 times
I also agree with mindymadison's statements above. Though from a different state, I experienced the same problem with moving to CO (also in 2012). I'm glad she was able to return to her homelands. I'm still working on doing the same (maybe next year). Once I move back, like mindy, I'll never move away again.

Relocating can become sad and heartbreaking at times, and sometimes it takes moving away to fully see what one really is blessed with in their roots and home area. It kind of reminds me of the holiday movie "It's a Wonderful Life", and how in the end, the main character sees all the good he has at home (even despite problems and unpleasantness at times). It really is people and family - not location - in my opinion, that makes the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or