U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:14 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,567,658 times

Advertisements

I also moved to CO from Phoenix. I was in CO for a little over a year before moving back in early August this year (great time to move back to the desert, right?). My wife grew up in CO for the most part and when we went back for her brother's wedding she really missed it. I had been to CO many times and really loved it, so we decided to take the plunge and try out moving up there. I was able to transfer with my job so it worked out. We sold our house and moved out with my wife 7 1/2 months pregnant, and 5 weeks later our daughter was born.

Despite moving into a nice updated townhome in a great location in Centennial, across from a nice park and close to my work, we both realized after about 6 months how much we missed Phoenix. Turned out my wife's romantic remembrances of winter snow went away after the first big snowstorm, and while we absolutely loved going for beautiful drives into the mountains on the weekends and had romantic dinners in the great downtown, it never quite felt "right". We missed being able to afford a really nice house like we had in Phoenix, walking the golf course at night in December, the food in Phoenix (yes, we found many of the food options for what we like disappointing), and most of all our network of friends and family. Having a baby exacerbated the latter, and we never anticipated how hard it would be living in another state without that family support. So...we moved back after one year.

My wife was able to get her old job back, and my mother is now able to watch my daughter during the day while we're both at work. I had to leave my old job and it took me some time to find a new one, but I finally did and now am in a higher position in a better place. My commute isn't as good as it was, but almost everything else about our quality of life went up aside from having access to those glorious Rockies. I will miss that for sure, but Arizona has plenty of beauty of it's own and we'll have plenty of time to explore it even more since we don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 04:36 AM

32 posts, read 23,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You mention CO's mountains nearby as an option to hike, but dont forget in Phoenix we have the McDowell Mountains, Superstition Mountains, White Tank Mountains, South Mountain, Estrella Mountains, Camelback Mountain, etc, right here in town, and the hiking is absolutely superb. As for stars, where Im at in north central Scottsdale, there is a blanket of wonderful stars every night. If youre closer to central Phoenix, radiant light will no doubt cloud out the star visibility.
I visited AZ this summer, hands down the worst place I've ever seen for parks and walking/ biking paths, very little green space. Watched a documentary on AZ and that was true. All about cars and driving home to a yard full of concrete. Sedona and the grand canyon were far better and made up for it. The Phx metro looks like a sparsly treed dustbowl. Do you guys find this depressing overtime or is it nobody wants to pay for parks or trees/ more desert plants there?

On that note we did go check out the Camelback's which were OK. The mountains in your list how bad are the for rattlesnakes, scorpions ect. Can't say it seemed too inviting to sit and have a picnic.

I'm honestly not criticising I'm just trying to wrap my head around it as I am looking to buy property there.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 AM

1,753 posts, read 1,246,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbus View Post
I visited AZ this summer, hands down the worst place I've ever seen for parks and walking/ biking paths, very little green space. Watched a documentary on AZ and that was true. All about cars and driving home to a yard full of concrete. Sedona and the grand canyon were far better and made up for it. The Phx metro looks like a sparsly treed dustbowl. Do you guys find this depressing overtime or is it nobody wants to pay for parks or trees/ more desert plants there?

On that note we did go check out the Camelback's which were OK. The mountains in your list how bad are the for rattlesnakes, scorpions ect. Can't say it seemed too inviting to sit and have a picnic.

I'm honestly not criticising I'm just trying to wrap my head around it as I am looking to buy property there.
When I was in Phoenix last summer, I've noticed the lack of green areas at the parks. Denver city park in Phoenix would make a big difference and add a ton of green to the area without changing alot of the natural landscape. Yes it may use more water having to plant all the trees and grass in the desert, but it would help cut down on dust, and heat in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado