U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 PM

486 posts, read 1,234,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It's good that it's not on your radar but that town/county has a big drug/meth problem... statistically... from what I've heard from folks who work in law enforcement.

yeah, people hear a lot of *stuff* about Canon City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 PM

13,628 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Well from... ummm... family members.

How about personal experience? The only time I've ever seen someone get their head blown off by a sniper was at a Canon City pharmacy when an oxycotin addict had hostages taken.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 21,406 times
Default McGow Dog - For Real?

When did this "sniper attack" happen and in which pharmacy. Is this for real or is it one of those mythical "I heard from somebody who knows somebody who..."?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Default Ms Kitty x3 -yes! For Real.

Yes. I was there and I saw it with my own eyes.

It was about 9 years ago now and it was right there on that historic downtown main street.

Maybe try googling Canon City + pharmacy + robbery + oxycotin + sniper + bullet - addict's head.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yes. I was there and I saw it with my own eyes.

It was about 9 years ago now and it was right there on that historic downtown main street.

Maybe try googling Canon City + pharmacy + robbery + oxycotin + sniper + bullet - addict's head.
That was at the old Palace pharmacy at 6th and Main - long before my time here. The place is still there and today it is a peaceful old-time mom & pop shop. Obviously, witnessing that event marred your view of Canon City, and that's understandable.

Much like those highschool marching band kids that witnessed the escape prisoner shot dead a few feet from them in the 1970's. Just part of Canon's maccabre history.

But no, you are not accurate to paint a picture of CC being over-run with meth addicts. It's just not. And I live here and have worked in social work here.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM

I'm not saying it's overrun by meth nor am I painting any picture.

I'm just saying that if there's any crime around there, these would probably be the sources of it. I'd tried to mention that it was a Fremont County problem than a CC problem as well. Some of your drug rehab social work may be shared by treatment in Pueblo as well, so you may not see the whole picture.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying it's overrun by meth nor am I painting any picture.

I'm just saying that if there's any crime around there, these would probably be the sources of it. I'd tried to mention that it was a Fremont County problem than a CC problem as well. Some of your drug rehab social work may be shared by treatment in Pueblo as well, so you may not see the whole picture.
I actually worked in Pueblo, so I think i am getting a fuller picture than you think.

Meth is not just a "Fremont County" problem - anymore than it is a problem anywhere. And it is everywhere. No need to single out Fremont County or Canon City.

There is crime here, yes, some of it legendary like the Palace Drugstore shoot-out, but it is not endemic.

Generally, Canon City is a safe place to be. I feel much safer here than living in big cities in Colorado where crime is currently very rampant and police response is sketchy at best.

And as I pointed out before, if there is any crime or mischief going on in CC, the cops are very responsive - another reason to feel safe.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,507 times
Thumbs up Canon City Safety

It would seem that Canon City is a safer place given that a large portion of the population works at the prison and they tend to look out for their neighbors more than the average citizen. And when you're constantly trained in 'situational awareness' you are constantly assessing everything around you....

My wife and I are looking for a place to live and retire in a few years that doesn't cost a lot for a couple on SSI. I have about 5 more years of work before I pull the plug and would prefer to be settled in somewhere first.

We visited the area back in 1995 and were captivated with the town's general atmosphere. Granted that was lots of years ago and the area's population has grown since that time too which is good. We don't want to be forced to retire in Reno, Nevada where we are now.

Paul

Old 07-29-2012, 02:53 PM

36 posts, read 85,431 times
Default Canon City through Non-Rose Colored Glasses

Canon City, Colorado is a small town, roughly 17,000 residents. Just like ANY city in America, they have issues. I'm taking emotion and hometown biases out of this and going to answer the original post as direct and statistically accurate as possible. Canon City has an 11.6% unemployment rate, 2% higher than the national average, with a job growth rate listed as negative. With common sense, one could easily assume with a negative growth rate, and a climbing unemployment rate, people tend to get more desperate when there is no income floating in, and stoop to such socially unacceptable things such as crime, to try and pay their bills. No one is going to broadcast that they engage in criminal activity, nor is a city going to proudly state "We have a higher unemployment rate, and negative job growth" as a slogan. That's why you NEVER check out the homepage of any city you're looking to move to. It's spun in a positive light so that people move there. If you believed many city websites, every city in America is the "best place to live", a "great place to work and play", or "peaceful and serene".

I do think that the national crime average is a great stat to look at. It's an average, granted some towns may spike higher than the "national average", but out of every city in America, you get a great picture of what the crime is in one city, against the average crime in America.

With that being said, based on the "average", this is where Canon City, Colorado stands:

- Violent crime is 25% higher than the national average.

- There were no murders reported.

- Rapes are almost 70% higher than the national average.

- Aggravated assaults are almost 50% higher than the national average.

- Property Crimes are about 10% higher than the national average.

- Thefts are even with the national average.

- Motor Vehicle thefts are about 70% lower than the national average.

- Meth is an issue facing Canon City, however there are numerous successful meth treatment programs in Canon City. Meth is an issue facing many similar sized cities with negative job growth and climbing unemployment.

Canon City is a small-town, with a small-town feel, but it has real world problems just like the rest of the cities in America. Talk to residents, look at data, and visit any place before you just move there on a whim. Just make sure your decision is educated. I had a numerous people butter me up about a place that I moved to once, and I (lesson learned) just packed up and moved. Granted, I had a job lined up, I didn't enjoy the place one bit. That's why I stress the importance of researching a place, talking to residents, getting positive AND negative feedback, and evaluating all of that before you move. I was looking at moving to an area and I looked up videos on YouTube about the place. Well, a citizen of that location apparently didn't want anyone moving to his town, and put a video of him driving down a street with one building, and saying, "This is all there is in this town, that's the post office and town offices, and there's nothing more here but hills and trees"...LOL Explore all you can...

Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 21,406 times
Default Crime Rates

I've been told by law enforcement that the crime stats are required to include in-prison crimes (prisoner on prisoner), which drives the stats higher. Having visited quite recently and monitored the newspaper for over a year, I tend to believe that's true. If not, everyone in the town, the Chamber and the Colorado news bureaus is in massive denial, which I seriously doubt. There's virtually no industry, so not a lot of opportunity for job growth. It seems people work in the prisons, retail, tourism or are retired. Just my observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado