U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM

52 posts, read 65,544 times

Advertisements

Been to CC once last year. First time in Colorado ever actually for me. The mountains in person are quite impressive versus seeing them on tv or print.

Drove up through the Oklahoma panhandle(now there is some exciting mile munching) and up to Pueblo. Stayed in Pueblo overnight. Had a lovely breakfast at the conveniently located Ihop next to the hotel.

Then onto Canon City for the Royal Gorge rail trip. Stayed at the hotel right across the street from the train station. Got up and walked across to the train and got tickets. Did the tourist thing. It is a dead end rail trip by the way. They reach the end and then engineer has to walk from one end of the train, all the way to the other end and you head back the way you came. But all in all it takes a while and is quite scenic. The food was good. We went out to the open air car and the one man was giving really great info about the area and what we all were seeing as we rolled along. It was fun. Would suggest going if you have never been.

Our stay in Canon city was brief. Just the one night. We did eat at Chilis. And we stopped at the winery and got a nice tour and picked up some wines. Drove right by the Supermax prison on the way into the city. I thought it would be located much further back behind some hills for some reason.

At no point did we get mugged, beaten up, accosted, verbally abused, robbed, or had our car stolen. But that was just over 24 hours of time there. Maybe if we stayed a week a few, or all, of those things would have happened. I doubt it, but you never know. If you are weak and feeble looking, you have a greater chance that you may get targeted by criminal types. If you look like you will run them down and beat their ass with a 2x4, pretty good chance they will leave you alone.

Bit of a quirky town it seems. Yes. Didn't get to really explore since we were on a circle route up through Boulder and around west a bit and then back down into New Mexico.

Today, I pulled up the single family homes for sale search on Trulia for Canon City with no price parameters set. Sorted the list from high to low price. It wasn't until page 9 that prices dropped to 200k. Same search in Manitou Springs brought up 3 pages, none of them affordable.

Anyway, we put quite a few miles on the vehicle in CO and were not the victims of nor did we see any crimes. Well, there were some clearly criminal choices in clothing, but that is another topic altogether.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 PM

7,425 posts, read 4,744,343 times
I've never felt unsafe when I've visited Canon City, lots of people enjoy living there. It should be safer with all the law enforcement around. The previous posters are right though, rural Colorado has had a long history of drug running and other illegal stuff. Plenty of empty space and law enforcement is spread out. Shoot, half those old UFO sightings were planes landing on dirt airstrips.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,997 times
Take a look at the police blotter in the Canon Daily News. May not be much "big time" crime but there is a lot going on in this little town! I am quite shocked at the amount of petty crime, etc. Many assaults, drunken people, theft and some I don't know how to characterize. This citizen is not real proud of our little area sometimes.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 466 times
lots of meth and meth users. we just moved here and are living above an active meth lab. we are leaving very soon because of this. i'd stay away. also, research the Cotter Mill uranium spill before moving here. i wish we had.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 PM

53 posts, read 37,071 times
I don't live in Canon but do all of my shopping and work there as it is the closest city to me. I have never felt unsafe at all. In fact I would say compared to most mid sized to large cities across the country canon feels much more safe in my opinion. There may be some meth addicts, they do tend to gravitate towards rural communities but it is nothing like cities where I lived previously.

I do notice more homeless people in the area than I am acsutomed to seeing but the same can be said for most of the front range cities.

If you don't feel safe in rural Colorado then there aren't many populated places where you will feel safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado