U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Fort Collins, CO
166 posts, read 359,050 times
Reputation: 288

Advertisements

We rented a 22' moving truck and tow dolly for one car and drove it out 'old school' from Michigan 18 months ago. Truck was approx 1200.00 (Penske)+ 350.00 gas and gas for the other car we drove out about 200.00, hotel and food (2 days total) about 200.00. We purged like crazy and brought only what we really needed or loved. Alot of work for a couple of 50-somethings, but TOTALLY worth it. Really can be done on the cheap if you have a strong back and a sense of adventure Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
R2F R2F started this thread
 
26 posts, read 70,802 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
R2F wrote:
Was it worth it you ask? You bet it was. I'd do it again, but much sooner. The longer you wait, the older you will be.
Good to hear. Our original plan didn't put us out there until 2017, so 2015 is a major feat. I wish I could make it even sooner. If I had my way we'd already be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
R2F R2F started this thread
 
26 posts, read 70,802 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemac View Post
We rented a 22' moving truck and tow dolly for one car and drove it out 'old school' from Michigan 18 months ago. Truck was approx 1200.00 (Penske)+ 350.00 gas and gas for the other car we drove out about 200.00, hotel and food (2 days total) about 200.00. We purged like crazy and brought only what we really needed or loved. Alot of work for a couple of 50-somethings, but TOTALLY worth it. Really can be done on the cheap if you have a strong back and a sense of adventure Good Luck!
I was pricing this out tonight and discussing with my wife. I actually had pretty similar numbers to what you had, except a little more for gas. I hit a wall with the dogs though... unless I can find a dual cab moving truck. My back isn't great but I'm not opposed to paying loaders at each end of the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 PM
 
590 posts, read 2,015,818 times
Reputation: 417
If you decide to do it yourself, it is probably cheaper to have your wife drive the car rather than put it on a tow behind trailer. Trailers can cut the fuel economy of the truck up to 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,867 posts, read 7,117,362 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
You can't put your car on a semi.
yes, you can. Many of the moving companies have lowboy trailers that can, and will accomodate a small to medium sized vehicle. They have the ramps for them too. I know, I had Allied do this for me a few years ago. It was awesome, all I had to do was get on a plane. it was just me and my dog, all in all, I spent abut $3500 to move. It would have been cheaper if I elected to move everything myself, but I'm pretty lazy, and my employer paid for the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 09:25 PM
R2F R2F started this thread
 
26 posts, read 70,802 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
yes, you can. Many of the moving companies have lowboy trailers that can, and will accomodate a small to medium sized vehicle. They have the ramps for them too. I know, I had Allied do this for me a few years ago. It was awesome, all I had to do was get on a plane. it was just me and my dog, all in all, I spent abut $3500 to move. It would have been cheaper if I elected to move everything myself, but I'm pretty lazy, and my employer paid for the move.
Good to hear. How far was your move? I assume mid size doesn't include 6,000 lb SUVs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 PM
 
Location: The North
4,981 posts, read 8,721,530 times
Reputation: 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2F View Post
I was pricing this out tonight and discussing with my wife. I actually had pretty similar numbers to what you had, except a little more for gas. I hit a wall with the dogs though... unless I can find a dual cab moving truck. My back isn't great but I'm not opposed to paying loaders at each end of the trip.
Loaders are cheap relative to what damage you will probably do to yourself. Shop around and you can find some that will charge about $20/hour per person for the first two or three hours and then $12/hour per person after that. I just moved locally and paid about $200 for six hours of labor from two guys. Since I make over $100/day it was money very well spent because if I did all that work myself I would have never made it in the next day or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,867 posts, read 7,117,362 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2F View Post
Good to hear. How far was your move? I assume mid size doesn't include 6,000 lb SUVs?

Mid size SUV, probably not. However, there are shipping companies that will move your vehicle for roughtly what you'd spend in gas driving there lol.

I was in Ohio for a job, then I got a new one, moved back to Colorado. Luckily my employer paid for the move.

Doing it yourself with a U-haul and a pull behind trailer, you're gonna have over $3000 invested in just the rental fees and fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM
R2F R2F started this thread
 
26 posts, read 70,802 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Mid size SUV, probably not. However, there are shipping companies that will move your vehicle for roughtly what you'd spend in gas driving there lol.

I was in Ohio for a job, then I got a new one, moved back to Colorado. Luckily my employer paid for the move.

Doing it yourself with a U-haul and a pull behind trailer, you're gonna have over $3000 invested in just the rental fees and fuel.
Yeah, agreed. If the final cost is even close, I'd rather fly and not sweat the trip. I think it would take about 3x 9 hour days to get there. I'd probably rather get there, get the rental paperwork done (assuming I have one by then), and start getting some stuff settled.

I was looking into flights last night and it appears that the only direct carrier doesn't allow large pets. I'm not thrilled about doing a plane change with two large dogs in cargo. I could see them ending up in the wrong city already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Fort Collins, CO
166 posts, read 359,050 times
Reputation: 288
Maybe just drive out one car with the pups and pay to have the rest brought here? Lots of pet friendly hotels along the interstate. We brought one dog in the rental truck with my husband (but mine's a jack russell, so pretty manageable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top