U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2006, 03:31 PM

145 posts, read 330,006 times

Advertisements

I recently priced flights from Washington Dulles to Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise, and Billings. We were planning to fly and then drive to see Yellowstone and Grand Teton in WY as well as parts of MT (just for fun since we already own our retirement land in CO). Denver was the cheapest with the most available flights (cheaper car rentals, too). With increased competition you'll see more flights where the demand is high. Denver is a major hub with good prices and availability from multiple air carriers. I'm hoping that spreads to C Springs in the future! But the drive from Denver to the Springs really isn't bad, especially compared to traffic here in the DC area.

Great comments, by the way, regarding diversity and respect. Perhaps people's concerns stem less from religious or political leanings and more from the fear of change in general. There are many stereotypes about people from the west (and the east) and yet we're really not all that different from each other. And frankly, that can be a bit boring. It's good to mix things up a bit!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 03:34 PM

853 posts, read 884,964 times
Post Getting to Idaho

We moved out west in August of 2004 and made two visits to Vermont (both in 2005) when my father-in-law was ill and then again when he passed on. Neither my husband nor I have a burning desire to travel back east anytime soon. If/When you relocate to either Colorado or Idaho; you will understand what we mean. Our feeling is that Idaho (and the western part of the United States) is so incredibly beautiful with numerous recreational activities - why leave? Instead, our friends and family from New England travel out our way to experience the incredible beauty of the Inland Pacific Northwest.
If you want to visit northern Idaho (Coeur d'Alene, Hayden Lake, Sandpoint, etc.) your best bet is to fly into Spokane Airport in Spokane, Washington. Spokane is only about 30 to 40 minutes west of Coeur d'Alene via I90. We were living in New Hampshire when we made our initial fact finding visit to Coeur d'Alene and if memory serves me right, we flew out of Manchester, New Hampshire into Chicago and then on to Spokane on United Airlines. My personal recommendation is to avoid Chicago O'Hare if possible since it is entirely likely that you will be one of the frequently seen "runners" literally running full speed in order to make your connecting flight. This happened to us all three times we've flown back and forth between Idaho and Vermont/New Hampshire.
Try this link: http://www.spokaneairports.net/airline.htm for a list of airlines serving Spokane Airport (GEG). If visiting Boise (BOI), try this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_Airport for general information as well as a list of airlines serving Boise Airport. Should you wish to visit both the Boise area and northern Idaho, flight time between the two airports is approximately 60 minutes and both Southwest or Horizon/Alaska Air have several flights throughout the day.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:20 PM

393 posts, read 1,712,727 times
Default Interesting Thread

It has also come down to ID vs CO for me too.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 PM

827 posts, read 4,540,806 times
Bande1102, Denver would be the best on airline flights. Denver Int'l Airport is huge and one of the most beautiful airports I have ever seen. Denver has an incredible amount of jobs for about any occupation you could imagine. I respect other people and their views. I just feel my votes would be for naught if I voted Democratic in a Republican state, the way the electoral college is set up. Idaho will go Republican and will for the foreseeable future. Mormons consistently vote Republican as well. I do understand Wurd4wurd's love for Idaho. I feel the same with my love for Colorado. It is a passion and I think Wurd4wurd and I are alike in our passion for the states we love. I think one thing to do is visit both, stay in both for a while, maybe during the winter and during the summer and seeing what works for you. If I did live in Idaho, I would pick the panhandle. Colorado though, is in my heart and forever will be.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-23-2006 at 12:16 AM..

Old 09-23-2006, 01:11 PM

853 posts, read 884,964 times
Default Additional thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Bande1102, Denver would be the best on airline flights. Denver Int'l Airport is huge and one of the most beautiful airports I have ever seen. Denver has an incredible amount of jobs for about any occupation you could imagine. I respect other people and their views. I just feel my votes would be for naught if I voted Democratic in a Republican state, the way the electoral college is set up. Idaho will go Republican and will for the foreseeable future. Mormons consistently vote Republican as well. I do understand Wurd4wurd's love for Idaho. I feel the same with my love for Colorado. It is a passion and I think Wurd4wurd and I are alike in our passion for the states we love. I think one thing to do is visit both, stay in both for a while, maybe during the winter and during the summer and seeing what works for you. If I did live in Idaho, I would pick the panhandle. Colorado though, is in my heart and forever will be.
Crackerjack, it is obvious from all your posts (and I think I've read most of them!) that you love Colorado. After reading all the enthusiastic posts (yours and others) and accessing links to photos of Colorado (provided on this forum), my husband & I put your fair state on our list of places to visit - hopefully during the spring of 2007.
Speaking of Idaho versus Colorado, the other day I met a young man (30-ish) who grew up in the Loveland area and now lives in Coeur d'Alene. He and his wife relocated here about 2 years ago and interestingly, he yearns to return to Colorado while his wife is very happy in Idaho. I don't know whose vote will outweigh the other, but there is definitely a struggle of sorts going on in their home.
Another way to look at making your vote count is that there is a better chance of affecting a change by voting differently than the majority - over time perhaps. For instance, if you live in a "blue" state and you vote "blue", you're one of the crowd and everyone already knows which way the vote will go. Whereas, if you live in a primarily "red" state and you vote "blue" at least you're fighting to be heard. Again, at some point, your vote may affect change in the political climate of your area and eventually your state. In the meantime, we can always hope that we “deep six” the Electoral College someday soon and instead allow the popular vote (each individual's vote) to elect our President.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:17 AM

827 posts, read 4,540,806 times
Wurd4wurd, I also agree that the Electoral College is antiquated and needs to go. It would be nice then that every vote truly counted. I know you love Idaho like I love Colorado and it reflects in your posts too. I think we both agree that out west has better weather compared to the northeast. I lived in Pittsburgh and it was so cold! I could never feel warm even by a fireplace! Out here in the west, many times I don't even wear a coat in the winter or just wear a jacket. It is so much better, weather wise due to our dry climates. Thanks for your kind post and I wish you the best in Idaho. When you come to Colorado, put on your list to visit Durango, Ouray, Pagosa Springs and Telluride as well as the bigger metro cities of Colorado Springs and Denver. Take care!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:06 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,760,113 times
Default thanks

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions on flying West. And I love how apparent it is that you (crackerjack and wurd4wurd) love your states. I'm not sure where I'll be in my future, but I can guarantee that I'll definitely be visiting both states at some point. They both sound absolutely beautiful.

Thanks, Amy WJ, for the tip about Denver and driving to the Springs. B/c that was going to be my next question. Good to know that the drive's not too bad.

As for the electoral college....grrrrrrrr

Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 PM

56 posts, read 339,046 times
If I could add my 2 cents. I grew up in Colorado, and have lived in the northeast, the northwest and most recently spent 8 years in Idaho before moving back to Colorado for 4 years and now I live in Salt Lake City. I love Colorado and think it is a beautiful state with very much to offer. However, the Denver and front range area has become VERY crowded, congested with traffic and, though it has improved, the air pollution during inversions can be pretty bad. The Denver International Airport is beautiful and an easy jump to most everywhere, but it is a long way out of Denver. It takes my mother an hour to get there from her home on the southwestern edge of Denver. But that might not be a concern for many. I lived in Idaho Falls, Idaho and I can confirm that the winters can be brutal, cloudy, cold and freezing. But if you love to ski, as I do, the very best powder can be found within an hour and a half drive at Targhee and Jackson Hole. Not to mention the Tetons, the Sawtooths, and many other great outdoor recreation spots. And housing is still very reasonable. There are other issues about that part of Idaho that I won't go into here, but would be happy to talk about if asked. But if I had to pick now between all the spots in Colorado and Idaho I think I would vote for Boise. It is a very progressive town with much more going on culturally than other towns in Idaho and also close to lots of beautiful mountains, hot springs, rivers, wilderness areas and such. The weather in that part of Idaho has the reputation of being MUCH better than just about anywhere else in the state. And the city is a manageable size for someone like me who really doesn't like a HUGE city. I have a couple of friends who have moved there from the east and they say they will never leave.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:15 AM

171 posts, read 946,067 times
We lived in Denver for 10 years and currently live in Boise. We have the opportunity to move back to Boulder and we will probably do it. Boise is a great area, especially to raise children. The attitude is changing and it is becoming more progressive. Great access to wilderness, without tons of people. What we miss is the access to amenities that a larger city has to offer...such as the arts, gourmet groceries, fine dining. Boise does have these things to a much smaller scale, it does well for a city of its size. Boise has weather that is fairly similar to Denver, although they see the sun much less in the winter in Boise. I think the average winter temperatures are a bit warmer in Boise but it stays much moer constant where Denver gets the amazing variation where you are shoveling snow one day, riding your bike the next. I do feel that the overall attitude in Colorado is more progreesive though....

Old 10-13-2006, 03:09 AM

257 posts, read 983,044 times
Default Help! Torn between CO and ID

Has anyone been to/lived in both areas that can give me a perspective or comparison of them both?

It would help me a great deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or