U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 AM

45 posts, read 307,749 times

Advertisements

I have lived in both states. I lived five years in Colorado Springs in the nineties and am currently in my fifth year in North Central Idaho.

The states have many similarities. However it depends upon where in Idaho you mean. Idaho has three main regions that have differing economies and even many cultural differences. Southern Idaho is mostly dominated by Boise/Nampa/Caldwell/Pocatello. This area is arid and crowded. It is also the most like the front range of Colorado--high plains, large population and economic heart of the state.

North Central Idaho is made up of smaller close knit communities. This region is dominated by the Quad-cities: Lewiston and Moscow, ID and Clarkston and Pullman, WA. You have two big univeristies WASU and U of I as well as smaller LCSC. The economies are more tourist based and depressed since logging went away.

Northern Idaho is dominated by Coeur D'Alene. This town has been discovered by out-of-staters with money to burn. As a result the prices of houses and property has skyrocketed. It's a beutiful region with lakes, mountains and lots of water.

In most regards I prefer the front range of Colorado--at least some of the smaller mountain communities. As a matter of fact I am preparing to leave Idaho and move back to Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 05:58 AM

3,785 posts, read 8,762,556 times
Hi Putty--Do a search on Idaho vs Colorado, there was a really interesting thread about the differences on this board a while back. I wondered the same thing b/c on paper they do seem kinda similar. I think Cluckk did a huge service by explaining the regions--it took lots of research on my part to figure all of that stuff out.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:16 AM

257 posts, read 983,146 times
Just curious bande, what did u come up with? My research is even on both sides of the scale. Did u choose CO, or ID and why?

Old 10-22-2006, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 8,079 times
Default Co vs ID

Anyone out there with good advice. We recently returned from a trip to Idaho, covered the whole state. I fell in love with it and would move tomorrow if I could. Mostly, the Northwestern side of the state, Boise is too big. (Won't retire for another 20 months) Both my husband and I have been to Durango, CO at different times in our life and loved it. Me about 15 years ago my husband about 10 years ago. Has it changed and is it turning into Mexico?

I am not prejudice and I don't want to get off the subject, but due to CA political correctness, the schools are failing due to the overcrowding, the gangs are taking over and cops are being killed by repeat offenders who are illegal. Now instead of " legal immigrants" working hard to become proud Americans, they are trying to turn CA into Norhtern Mexico. I am an American of Mexican decent, done the legal way and proud to be American. Enough said.

Back to CO vs Idaho, for my husbands sake we are taking a trip to Durango in February to experience the winter, but for now does anyone have an opinion?

Old 10-22-2006, 07:33 PM

649 posts, read 2,648,992 times
Durango is a beautiful area, just from what I have heard, alot of people are wanting to move there. But there are so many beautiful places to live in Colorado that I would strongly suggest you check out all of Colorado when you come out in February! bashep

Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 8,079 times
Default CO from BASHEP

Thanks for the Reply I'll have to do that. What do you hear about Bayfield? When I was there it was not much of a town, very basic from what I can remember. What is the development like?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
SickofCA, I returned recently from a trip to Durango and it hasn't become Mexico. It is still mostly a white city, but it does have many people moving in from Germany, France, England, Sweden, Norway and the northeast of the USA as well as California, Florida and really everywhere else. I think the higher costs for housing make it hard for illegals to live in Durango. They do have some Hispanics like most everywhere else today, but are not in large numbers. Bayfield even more so being a white area. I have Hispanics in my family and other races too, so I am just giving you the facts. Bayfield is growing with new subdivisions like Dove Ranch. It still is small, but growing. Their schools are top rated, so many of the newbies are families wanting to tap into their great schools.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 PM

93 posts, read 417,640 times
I moved to Boise 3 years ago from Olympia Washington. Prior to this move I have lived in D.C., Mass, NJ, NY, Albuquerque, and San Francisco.

Boise has a lot going for it. It's funny because it is still trying to sell itself, yet people are already sold- they're moving there in droves. In fact, Idaho natives can be less then friendly to Californian newcomers. I saw a lot of this. I still had a CA driver's license when I moved there and used alternate forms of ID as much as possible. There are a lot of CA folks snatching up houses and rental properties, and this is not sitting well with a lot of peopl. At this point, Boise needs to figure out how to have sustainable growth rather than continuing to focus on attracting new residents.

What surprised me most about Boise:
How red it actually is.
How Fundamentalist and Mormon it actually is.
How hot it is. It really is a desert! People do not know this.
How dry it is. VERY dry.
How little crime there is. (We never locked our house doors even while on vacation.)

There is approximately one neighborhood in Boise that suited our needs for being within walking and biking distance to interesting useful things/stores, community, trees, liberal politics, etc. So, we lived in this neighborhood and had a nice little life for a couple of years (avoiding driving in the city at large as much as possible). Ultimately we felt too oppressed by all the religious fanaticism and fundamentalism that seemed to pervade almost all aspects of life and politics in Idaho. Having said that, it is a very family friendly, clean, accessible city that has huge potential.

I have spent much time in the rest of the state and agree much of it is beautiful but still far too conservative for us to make the investment.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 9,573 times
Default Access to the wilderness

I'd like to re-open this thread.

I'm moving back to the States at the end of the summer. I've lived in Mountain Home, ID for several years during one of my duty assignments with the Air Force. I did not have the opportunity to live in Colorado Springs and work for one of the bases while active duty. My family and I love the northwest and rocky mountains. We are very much outdoorsy people and we've decided between Colorado Springs and Boise, ID.

I remember McCall being 2 hours north of Boise and a very beautiful drive following the Payette River and scenic byway. I remember Redfish Lake near Stanley being another incredible drive of 3-4 hours. It seemed like the Boise and Sawtooth Nat'l Forests were in your backyard. And no tourist! On most of my trips in I felt like it was all mine to appreciate.

I am afraid that Colorado Springs will not be able to offer the same level of remoteness. I do not want to wait for someone to move out of the way of my camera view before taking a picture. How accessible are the lakes, trailheads, and major rafting and back country areas in comparison to the accessibility of living in Boise? I am making my decision primarily on the accessibility of one place over the other, as I would want to grab my pack at a moment's notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or