U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,762,556 times

Advertisements

Or anyone else who might have an opinion

I've really enjoyed reading your posts and wondered if I might pick your brain a bit more.....did you ever consider Boise? We're in md-dc-va area right now and looking to get out. I read the post "why colorado springs.." post, but didn't see mention of Idaho. Just wondering if it was ever in the running for you. Or if you never considered it, just wondering why not. By the way, we're not retired so that wouldn't be an issue. What is an issue is things for the kids to do (preferably outside), jobs, and air quality. My SO is in restaurant management. I telecommute so I'm portable TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 05:00 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Never really considered Idaho. If I did, I've forgotten it. I probably would've considered it too remote, possibly too cold and snowy, but I'd have to go back and reconstruct my research.

I sure liked the Front Range, the wealth of things to do, places to live and the affordability of it.

s/Mike

Old 09-20-2006, 06:16 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Bande1102, I know Idaho pretty well so I will just add to Mike's post. Idaho is very pretty up in the panhandle like Coeur d'Alene. Sun Valley is nice but it costs a bundle to live there - the "Aspen" of Idaho. The southern part is for the most part, a desert. There will be areas where it will go into the mountains but usually desert. I don't like the long cloudy winter season. It will stay cloudy for months on end in winter but the summers are great and sunny. The sun doesn't show up for most of the winter months which is when I like the sun the most. It can snow a great deal, less in Boise. It is a very conservative state with overwhelming Republicans in the region, which is a minus or plus depending on if you are a liberal or not. There are a lot of Mormons there, sometimes whole towns are Mormon and you will be somewhat of an outcast if you aren't Mormon. In Boise there are so many newcomers, that won't be an issue but I did want to mention it.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the replies, both have given me some things to consider. I think at this point I'm going to concentrate on Colorado. I happened to see Boise popping up on quite a few of the "best places" lists and wondered if I was missing something.

Crackerjack, thank you for giving me your honest opinion--I appreciate it and, actually, it confirms some of the things I'd been hearing.----bande

Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 AM

You are welcome Bande1102. I just want to add that I really think Colorado has a lot going for it and you can't beat all that winter sunshine! Good Luck on your search and move!

Old 09-21-2006, 03:29 PM

853 posts, read 885,073 times
Thumbs up Thoughts on Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Or anyone else who might have an opinion

I've really enjoyed reading your posts and wondered if I might pick your brain a bit more.....did you ever consider Boise? We're in md-dc-va area right now and looking to get out. I read the post "why colorado springs.." post, but didn't see mention of Idaho. Just wondering if it was ever in the running for you. Or if you never considered it, just wondering why not. By the way, we're not retired so that wouldn't be an issue. What is an issue is things for the kids to do (preferably outside), jobs, and air quality. My SO is in restaurant management. I telecommute so I'm portable TIA
I wanted to take a few minutes to give you a little input regarding Idaho. We relocated to the Panhandle of Idaho (outside the city limits of Coeur d'Alene) in August of 2004 by way of southern New Hampshire, but we're originally from Vermont. The summers in Idaho are hard to beat - beautiful, bright sunny days for months on end! Typical temps are anywhere from high 80s to mid 90s with several 100+ degree days thrown in for good measure. It's a dry heat - nothing like the oppressive humidity common in the northeastern part of the U.S. Winters are much more mild with considerably less snow as compared to Vermont and/or New Hampshire. Our house is located on 5 acres about 8 miles outside of the city of Coeur d'Alene (approximate population 35,000). Every morning I wake up to the most glorious territorial mountain views outside my bedroom window; it truly is breathtaking.
While we chose to settle in the Panhandle, our older, adult children opted for the Boise area. In fact, my son purchased his first house within walking distance of Boise State University. As a result, I have had the opportunity to visit Boise many times and must say that it is a lovely, clean city with many recreational opportunities in the surrounding area. Boise is called The City of Trees, has numerous city parks, the Green Belt, and let's not forget that the Boise River flows through there as well. Summers are warmer and winters have even less snow than we get in Coeur d'Alene. While Boise is considered "high desert", the mountains really are a hop, skip and a jump away. There is skiing at Bogus Mountain, and there is a new ski resort (Tamarack) in Cascade (about an hour away) as well as Brundage Mountain Resort in McCall (about another 30 minutes beyond Cascade). I could go on and on, but rather than take up valuable space in the Colorado Forum - let me just say that I highly recommend taking a closer look at Boise and if you're feeling extra adventurous - Coeur d'Alene is definitely worth checking out too. Just a little side note, Coeur d'Alene was named one of the "top 5 most beautiful alpine lakes in the world" by National Geographic Traveler.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:07 PM

Summers are great in Idaho but the winters are dreary. Some years Idaho can get an incredible amount of snow up in the panhandle, so I don't know if you have experienced that living in Vermont and moving to Idaho, but be prepared for some massive amounts of snow. Lately it hasn't had much snow but other years - a big surplus. Coeur d'Alene is beautiful and I mentioned that. Boise does have trees in the city, but all around it is barren except if it is irrigated. Idaho has a huge amount of conservatives, which if that is what you are, you will like that. I know someone from NY who is very liberal and was miserable in Idaho and moved to Boulder and is happy now. Idaho has a great number of Mormons and in some towns, almost all are Mormons. It just isn't my kind of thing but if you like that kind of thing, you might like it, but not me. Again though, you are right about Coeur d'Alene, it is a beautiful city.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:47 AM

853 posts, read 885,073 times
Post Dreary winters etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Summers are great in Idaho but the winters are dreary. Some years Idaho can get an incredible amount of snow up in the panhandle, so I don't know if you have experienced that living in Vermont and moving to Idaho, but be prepared for some massive amounts of snow. Lately it hasn't had much snow but other years - a big surplus. Coeur d'Alene is beautiful and I mentioned that. Boise does have trees in the city, but all around it is barren except if it is irrigated. Idaho has a huge amount of conservatives, which if that is what you are, you will like that. I know someone from NY who is very liberal and was miserable in Idaho and moved to Boulder and is happy now. Idaho has a great number of Mormons and in some towns, almost all are Mormons. It just isn't my kind of thing but if you like that kind of thing, you might like it, but not me. Again though, you are right about Coeur d'Alene, it is a beautiful city.
The prospect of winters with large amounts of snowfall or large snowstorms isn't enough to scare us out of northern Idaho. According to my neighbors, who are native Idahoans as well as other friends who are long time residents, every 10 years or so the Coeur d'Alene area gets hit with some impressive snowfall. Vermonters are used to lots of snow and incredibly long, cold winters (temps frequently dipping down to -30 to -40 below zero Fahrenheit) for weeks at a time. As for dreary winters, honestly I haven't noticed that, but again Vermont and New Hampshire aren't the sunniest of states during the wintertime for that matter. As far as our family is concerned, the outstanding summers in Idaho more than compensate for any grey winter weather.
We are neither Mormon nor regular church going folk. We ascribe to the live and let live philosophy of life and choose not to participate in organized religion. Oddly, since moving here and given Idaho's reputation of conservatism, we haven't experienced any discomfort whatsoever in regard to religion/faith etc. In fact, while living in New Hampshire and Vermont we regularly had Mormon elders and Jehovah Witnesses call on us, but have experienced neither since our relocation to Coeur d'Alene.
What I find incredibly amazing about Idaho is that no matter where you travel (Boise and the outlying areas, the Panhandle, the Grangeville area, Whitebird, Hells Canyon, and so on) it is all incredibly beautiful in its own way! Please keep in mind that Vermont is known as the Green Mountain State and I lived there for 26+ years. Still, I am able to see the beauty in the diversity of terrain throughout Idaho. I hesitate to stop there since when we traveled back and forth from New Hampshire to Idaho via automobile, I was in awe throughout our trip.
As a native of Vermont and former resident of New Hampshire, I feel compelled to comment on Idaho's reputation of conservatism. Many years ago, Vermont was a conservative state until the influx of New Yorkers, former residents of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, and so on. While things did change to a degree, and maybe some Vermonters were less than thrilled with these changes, it certainly made things more interesting politically. More recently, New Hampshire is in the midst of going through similar changes, which again may be attributed to former residents of Massachusetts, Connecticut, etc. relocating to the Granite State. Similarly, in recent years Idaho has experienced a pretty significant influx of former residents from California and Arizona as well as other states, which in turn may over time change the political climate of the Gem State. I guess my point is, I find it interesting that people who think differently (politically, religiously, etc.) are so concerned about being surrounded by like minded people; so much so, in fact that many people who post on the city data board will rule out the possibility of relocating to a particular state or region of a state based solely on religion and/or political ideology. Because truthfully, when you get right down to it, we are all Americans and should be able to celebrate (heck - even listen to) differing opinions without feeling threatened or pressured to change. Conversely, let's not forget that change can frequently be a good thing.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:58 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Default Thread Name Change

All: I've renamed this thread to better reflect the content.

s/Mike from back east
also a moderator

Old 09-22-2006, 02:10 PM

Thank you Crackerjack and Wurd4wurd. I truly appreciate the information and I love that this has been such an interesting and respectful conversation. Kudos to you both.

The other thing I was wondering about for both Colorado and Idaho is the difficulty of getting back East to visit. I've been trying to plan a few trips out west and seem to be having a bit of a problem finding flights from the East Coast. Not nearly as easy as those trips to Disney World in Orland

Oh, and thanks Mike from back east for changing the title of the thread. Much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or