U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, eh? For instance, I find overly lush or alpine settings to be suffocating, and find the southeast possesses its own stark, still beauty. The recent moisture has given us a green landscape that no one out here takes for granted. Perhaps we treasure it even more, knowing that this too, shall pass, and in the meantime we celebrate its fragility and splendor, no matter how short-lived.

That's how we roll out here on the remote, rural grasslands.
How very true. Colorado--and much of the Rocky Mountain West--is a place that must be accepted on its harsh geographic and climatic terms, especially if one lives in the rural parts of the state. That point, unfortunately, is lost on a lot of Colorado's metro residents where they are often insulated from the harsh realities of an arid to semi-arid unforgiving natural environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
personal favorite is Limon....I was there 2 years ago for my 50th reunion...had rarely gone back....ran into a guy that I had NOT seen since Graduation day in 1959....he said "Hi Rod, haven't seen you in 50 years."

Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,872 times
I appreciate yall's comments...maybe colorado is not the place im looking for. Im just looking for a small town with low humidity...wherever that may be :-) guess its pretty hard to find.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 PM

29 posts, read 108,363 times
Lots of small "mayberry" towns in Southern Colorado - check out the San Luis Valley - as others mentioned, jobs are a commody, but where else can you buy 5 acres of land for about $3500 (TOTAL) with $100 per year taxes?

Like anything, you have to take the good with the bad. WONDERFUL summers, -25 below winters on the SLV floor at different times, but very little snow unless you are over 7500 feet and in the foothills or mountains.

We live 100% off grid - grew up in Northern IL, lived on the NJ Shore for 13 years and in SoCo for the past 3 years.

A 3 br / 1-2 bath manufactured home on 5 acres in our area is running around $65000+, grid tied so you are buying electric from a company. Satellite dish is not uncommon for TV and internet unless you live in a town that has cable/fios.

Unlike the south, lots of CO is high desert country - so, brown, shrubby, low growing cacti. You do NOT find lush green here growing naturally.

So, yes, cheap and rural, some places charming, other dusty old towns where the restaurants all close by 8 pm - Light on job opportunities, but lots of season farming jobs.

Good luck in your quest.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
Where in the south are you currently living? Low humidity often means something very different to people in Colorado vs. people deep in Georgia (or another very hot, humid state). I know for me personally, growing up in Colorado, low humidity means almost none. However, for my friends in the south it means anything less than about 50%.

Perhaps you can find something with more of a southern culture (which is what Mayberry really is, right?) that would still be less humidity than where you currently live.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidimille View Post
I appreciate yall's comments...maybe colorado is not the place im looking for. Im just looking for a small town with low humidity...wherever that may be :-) guess its pretty hard to find.
I guess you have to define "west" to get a good answer. There are TONS of small mayberry-ish towns in the farm belt towns in the midwest, though still a lot of humidity. Further north I'd bet you can find them in MI, WI, MN but the winters can be rather rigorous; possibly the northern parts of IL, IN, IA, OH.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
Fountain?

Old 05-30-2012, 06:33 PM

16,165 posts, read 20,172,692 times
Good suggestions on the towns on the plains. I have a few other suggestions.

The Fort Morgan-Brush area. I worked on the power plant out there from 1977-80 and got a place in Brush to stay during the week. Loved it! You're a little over an hours drive from the Denver area.

Another group of small towns that aren't that far from a bigger city (this case being Pueblo) would be Fowler, Ordway, and the Rocky Ford area. You are a half hour from Pueblo and an hour from the mountains. We're not talking brand new communities but older agricultural towns. Though it's been a few years since I've scooted through that part of the state, I've always liked it.

Someone mentioned the San Luis Valley area. Though it gets COLD in the winter, Monte Vista gets the nod here by me regarding towns I like visiting.

And like so many other people have said in so many different threads on so many different forums, come on out and spend a few days in each locale to see what is right for you and your son. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I guess you have to define "west" to get a good answer. There are TONS of small mayberry-ish towns in the farm belt towns in the midwest, though still a lot of humidity. Further north I'd bet you can find them in MI, WI, MN but the winters can be rather rigorous; possibly the northern parts of IL, IN, IA, OH.
Haha, so true! My inlaws, who live in Western PA, always remind me that they once lived in the west too...Kansas City, MO, that is! It's west of PA. That's "the west" to them!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
A woman in Vallecito told me,
"We're from back East- St. Louis."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado