U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,874 times

Advertisements

I live in the south and it is hot as blazes here. I as trying to relocate me & my children out towards the west where the humidity is less. My son has Asthma and the south does not benefit him any. We are accustomed to slow paced life style, small town, everyone known everyone...that type. I need to know if anyone knows if there may be a town like this out west....& possible where sidewalks and trees exsist and even maybe not to terribly expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,661,462 times
Lots of small towns, but very few jobs. The west is much different than the South. Most people and jobs are in the city, and many small towns are either dying or insanely expensive. (Paging Jazzlover)

Your best bet might be somewhere on the plains like Sterling or Fort Morgan, or even in Nebraska or Kansas.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Small towns in the Rocky Mountain West that are "mayberry-ish" are relatively few and far between. Resort towns do not fit that bill at all. People who say they do are generally urbanites or immediately ex-urbanites who don't know what a "real" small town is. Resort and mountain areas also tend to have very high real estate prices that are often not affordable on a local income.

That leaves a relatively small number of agricultural and resource-extraction dependent communities. A lot of the latter are "boom-bust" towns with a lot of population turnover--not very family-oriented. The agricultural communities--most of which are not in the mountains, by the way--are pleasant enough culturally, but can be brutally difficult places in which to make a living. There are a few communities in the western valleys of Colorado that might fit the bill of a relatively small affordable town (Delta or Olathe come to mind, though the latter, according to the FBI, is under "significant" influence of the Mexican drug cartels), the San Luis Valley (generally very impoverished and very cold in the winter), or the Eastern Plains (lots of nice farm towns, but also pretty impoverished in many cases, with few jobs).

That mix is pretty much the same for most of the Rocky Mountain states--though the rest of the Rocky Mountain states lack (fortunately for them, in my opinion) the huge metro blob that is the Front Range of Colorado. Wyoming, as an example, has less people living in the whole state than work in downtown Denver.

There are some very nice communities in western Nebraska, western Kansas, and western South Dakota that, while not in the mountain and not as dry as far as humidity, still are "low humidity" by Southern standards.

If you have not been to this region, it is essentially nothing like the South--culturally, geographically, or climatically. You might love it, but you might hate it.

By the way, your son's asthma may be better or worse in this region. Lower humidity may help, but dust is a frequent problem and Colorado has the highest average altitude in the United States. One of nations foremost asthma research hospitals, National Jewish Hospital, is in Denver, however.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,874 times
thank u so much for your help. No, i havent ventured out of the south...i just know we didnt really have a winter...so thats going to make for a "hell" of a summer. Its already in the upward 90's and our hottest month is August. Just looking to get away, not nessesarilly colorado, just somewhere small and comfortable where it isnt so scortching. Thanks so much for responding :-)

Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,021,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidimille View Post
I live in the south and it is hot as blazes here. I as trying to relocate me & my children out towards the west where the humidity is less. My son has Asthma and the south does not benefit him any. We are accustomed to slow paced life style, small town, everyone known everyone...that type. I need to know if anyone knows if there may be a town like this out west....& possible where sidewalks and trees exsist and even maybe not to terribly expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall so much!
As pointed out, it's a bit different out west. There isn't as much in the way of reasonably spread out communities of all sizes like back east. Most of Colorado's population lives in a suburban blob along I-25.

Of the nice small towns in mountain Colorado, they are mostly very expensive with million dollar real estate and of those that are not, they tend to be isolated with few job opportunities.

There are other towns on the prairie that are small, but they are agriculture towns in the middle of farms and grassland, which is not the thing for a lot of people or what they imagine when it comes to Colorado.

First thing I would do is come out and visit, as it is a 180 degree change from the south and then see what you like or don't like.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 PM

486 posts, read 1,235,127 times
always makes me giggle when someone is looking for "Mayberry"

Canon City in Colorado has been called Mayberry on this forum before... but it's also been called a lot of other unsavory things.

It depends on what you are looking for. But if you are from a small town in the south, Canon City might be worth checking into. It is very affordable, I'll tell you that much.

There's lots of threads & discussion about Canon City on this Colorado forum.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM
R2F

26 posts, read 70,454 times
I really recommend that you take at least a short trip to Colorado to see if its what you want. In fact, you should take a few trips during different times of year, and be sure to bring your asthmatic son. I've lived in the South most of my life but was fortunate to land a consulting gig that flew me out there weekly for nearly 2 years so I was able to experience the different seasons, areas, terrain, and various activities. I absolutely love Colorado and plan to move there in a few years, but it definitely isn't for everyone.

If you are looking for that small town feel, you are going to have to consider what kind of market that provides and what kind of work you will be able to land. These area's aren't small and cheap by coincidence. For what you described though, you aren't limited to CO.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 AM

319 posts, read 620,135 times
Default ...And Aunt Bea Will Bring The Pie!

Mayberry? We've got your Mayberry right here in tiny Branson, Colorado.

Here's a story in The Pueblo Chieftain about our graduating class of One! Unfortunately, the reporter got half the facts wrong...

Pueblo Chieftain

And the Jail is always unlocked in case Andy and Barney have to go to Trinidad to be in Court:

jail1.JPG

Visiting birders from the recent Colorado Field Ornithologists' Annual Convention enjoy the view North from "Downtown" Branson. The green won't last, but the peace, serenity, and downhome friendliness will...

Just North of "Downtown" .jpg

Branson Thread. Ask Your Questions.

Seeking a rural, SE ranch town w/grasslands & mesas?
Attached Thumbnails
small mayberry-ish town anywhere in the west please-jail1.jpg   small mayberry-ish town anywhere in the west please-just-north-downtown-.jpg  

Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
I've seen the area around Branson and on down into northeast New Mexico when it has looked its best and when it's looked its worst. The right picture above shows it at its best and it is gorgeous, but--as bovinedevine noted--it doesn't last, often not more than a few weeks per year. Now, take your Photoshop and turn the whole landscape brown--that is what it looks like most of the year. If you can like that, then southeast Colorado and northeast New Mexico can be a great place. If not, better look elsewhere. I personally like the area around Trinidad, Hoehne, etc. heading out toward Branson, but I'm used to Colorado's often harsh, brown landscape.

One of the great "deceptions" that Colorado promoters perpetrate (including on this forum) is to cherrypick photos that show Colorado at its best--green landscapes, snow-covered peaks, uncrowded open highways, etc. They conveniently fail to mention that most of those pleasant scenes don't happen every year, may be the exception rather than the norm, etc. I have a personal catalog of Colorado photos that would have any prospective resident salivating about how wonderful Colorado is. I can also go to that catalog and display photos that would have people recoiling in horror about how barren, brown, and unattractive Colorado can be.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM

319 posts, read 620,135 times
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, eh? For instance, I find overly lush or alpine settings to be suffocating, and find the southeast possesses its own stark, still beauty. The recent moisture has given us a green landscape that no one out here takes for granted. Perhaps we treasure it even more, knowing that this too, shall pass, and in the meantime we celebrate its fragility and splendor, no matter how short-lived.

That's how we roll out here on the remote, rural grasslands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado