U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,025,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If this is true, he is UNFIT for any public office. Period.
Oh, it's true!

Then there's the matter of his hit and run accident a few days ago.........

A woman called 911 to report an erratic driver. He was weaving all over the road. Then, while at a traffic light on Eagleridge Blvd, he put his car in reverse and backed into her then left. She gave the dispatcher his license plate number.

Anyone else would have been ticketed, not Jerry. Nothing was done.

Instead of firing him, they had him resign his position and go back to his previous job as city planner.
WTF?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM

11,861 posts, read 18,890,867 times
Quote:
If this is true, he is UNFIT for any public office. Period.
Keep in mind there is noting illegal with having a affair and it would be illegal to fire someone simply because they had one. I am not going to argue the morality of it as that is not a bases for hiring or firing someone. Now as far as the "hit and run" it was a minor incident at a stop light and I don't think there was any damage. While I do not approve of it its not like he left the scene of a accident so demoting him back to this original job was really the only option the city had and like I have said the best option for him and the city of Pueblo as he is a great city planner just not a good city manager.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-30-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Lol. Maybe not, but we seem to be trying awfully hard to emulate Chicago.
In someways Pueblo has been a mini Chicago for years which is why I used them as a example to begin with. Pueblo is obviously much smaller thus everything we have is on a smaller scale but one example is the mafia as it ruled Pueblo politics just like it ruled Chicago politics. There is a good book about it called Mountain Mafia and KKTV did a story on it a few years ago this is it:

Quote:
As for PSR, let's just agree to disagree.
Fair enough.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Keep in mind there is noting illegal with having a affair and it would be illegal to fire someone simply because they had one. I am not going to argue the morality of it as that is not a bases for hiring or firing someone. Now as far as the "hit and run" it was a minor incident at a stop light and I don't think there was any damage. While I do not approve of it its not like he left the scene of a accident so demoting him back to this original job was really the only option the city had and like I have said the best option for him and the city of Pueblo as he is a great city planner just not a good city manager.
It's not the severity of the accident that's the issue.
He hit another vehicle, he was aware that he hit another vehicle yet he felt that he was entitled to leave the scene without even exchanging insurance information with the woman who's car he damaged. Worst of all, the police, by their inaction reinforced his apparent "special" status.

His behavior speaks volumes about his character.

As a public official he should be, at the minimum, held to the same standards as the rest of us. IMHO, he should hold himself to a higher standard.

Out of curiosity, why was demoting him the council's only option?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:52 PM

19,412 posts, read 35,292,948 times
Quote:
A lack of morality on the part of public officials is a case of moral turpitude and should be prima facie basis for dismissal. Just like those Secret Service dudes who "broke no laws" in that recent escapade in Columbia.

Voters can elect whomever they like, even confirmed druggies like Marion Barry in DC and our alleged wife-beating mayor in COLO SPGS. It's a shame, but voters are like that, so we need statutes of various sorts to boot out the bums. IIRC, even the great silent film star, Charlie Chaplin, was once deported for bad morals, and most hollywood types, including Charlie Sheen, have a moral turpitude clause in their contracts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
It's not the severity of the accident that's the issue.
He hit another vehicle, he was aware that he hit another vehicle yet he felt that he was entitled to leave the scene without even exchanging insurance information with the woman who's car he damaged. Worst of all, the police, by their inaction reinforced his apparent "special" status.

His behavior speaks volumes about his character.

As a public official he should be, at the minimum, held to the same standards as the rest of us. IMHO, he should hold himself to a higher standard.

Out of curiosity, why was demoting him the council's only option?
He rolled back and bumped the car busting the license plate frame. He might not of even known he hit the car I am sure it was not noticeable. Since there are no formal charges being filed the city has nothing to fire him for as they would leave themselves open for a wrongful termination law suite. Now by both parties agreeing for him to resign and go back to being a city planner there is no chance for a lawsuit from anyone.

It looks like I am defending him and I have tried not to because what he has done was morally wrong but lets keep things in perspective. I think what the sate patrol did last weekend on Pueblo Blvd when for some lame reason they had to chase the teens because of a stolen care where two lost their lives destroying multiple families for the rest of their lives is much worse morally and I would rather see the state patrol officers charged with murder in the second degree and put behind bars for the rest of their lives without the possibility of parole then anything that Pacheco might have done. I mean it was a stolen car not worth anyone's life over especially teens. Just being honest.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-30-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
A lack of morality on the part of public officials is a case of moral turpitude and should be prima facie basis for dismissal. Just like those Secret Service dudes who "broke no laws" in that recent escapade in Columbia.

Voters can elect whomever they like, even confirmed druggies like Marion Barry in DC and our alleged wife-beating mayor in COLO SPGS. It's a shame, but voters are like that, so we need statutes of various sorts to boot out the bums. IIRC, even the great silent film star, Charlie Chaplin, was once deported for bad morals, and most hollywood types, including Charlie Sheen, have a moral turpitude clause in their contracts.
I think you just made the case for why Pueblo needs a strong mayor like Denver and Colorado Springs. Then it will be up to the voters and not the city council.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
He rolled back and bumped the car busting the license plate frame. He might not of even known he hit the car I am sure it was not noticeable. Since there are no formal charges being filed the city has nothing to fire him for as they would leave themselves open for a wrongful termination law suite. Now by both parties agreeing for him to resign and go back to being a city planner there is no chance for a lawsuit from anyone.

It looks like I am defending him and I have tried not to because what he has done was morally wrong but lets keep things in perspective. I think what the sate patrol did last weekend on Pueblo Blvd when for some lame reason they had to chase the teens because of a stolen care where two lost their lives destroying multiple families for the rest of their lives is much worse morally and I would rather see the state patrol officers charged with murder in the second degree and put behind bars for the rest of their lives without the possibility of parole then anything that Pacheco might have done. I mean it was a stolen car not worth anyone's life over especially teens. Just being honest.
Yes, it does look like you're defending him.

As I said before, his behavior speaks to his character.

As for the accident on Pueblo Blvd. The trooper was doing his job, he did not cause the accident.

The kid who was driving a stolen vehicle at an excessive rate of speed, running red lights and trying to evade said state trooper was the one at fault. Not to mention that he was possible drunk and had a firearm in his possession.

I'm sure my background as a first responder adds to my opinion but let me ask you this..... How many dead teenagers does one need to scrape off the pavement before they get fed up with this stupidity? I feel for the families of course, i'm a mom. If that had been one of my kids I would be devastated.

I also feel for the trooper. Believe me, he will see that accident scene every time he closes his eyes for a very long time. But, he was doing his job, he was doing exactly what he was supposed to do.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does look like you're defending him.

As I said before, his behavior speaks to his character.
Then lets have a mayor so the people can decide not the city council.

Quote:

As for the accident on Pueblo Blvd. The trooper was doing his job, he did not cause the accident.

The kid who was driving a stolen vehicle at an excessive rate of speed, running red lights and trying to evade said state trooper was the one at fault. Not to mention that he was possible drunk and had a firearm in his possession.

I'm sure my background as a first responder adds to my opinion but let me ask you this..... How many dead teenagers does one need to scrape off the pavement before they get fed up with this stupidity? I feel for the families of course, i'm a mom. If that had been one of my kids I would be devastated.

I also feel for the trooper. Believe me, he will see that accident scene every time he closes his eyes for a very long time. But, he was doing his job, he was doing exactly what he was supposed to do.
It was a car. The minute they took off doing stupid teen stuff the state patrol should of been the adults they were and said let them go we will get them later. Once they started a high speed chace, over a car, they became the villion in my mind. I mean let me say it this way. I have a Mercedes Benz 500 ML. It is my dream car and I adore it but its only a SUV and if it got stolen I would much rather never see it again then have some kids who were driving it get chased and die in the process over my SUV. Something that can be replaced. No I think what they did was a lot worse and if I was on the jury have no problem giving them life in jail without the possibility of parole.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM

811 posts, read 807,011 times
Quote:
It was a car. The miniute they took off doing stupid teen stuff the state patrol should of been the adults they were and said let them go we will get them later. Once they started a high speed chace, over a car, they became the villion in my mind. I mean let me say it this way. I have a Mercedes Benze 500 ML. It is my dream car and I adore it but its only a SUV and if it got stolen I would much rather never see it again then have some kids who were driving it get chased and die in the process over my SUV. Something that can be replaced. No I think what they did was a lot worse and if I was on the jury have no problem giving them life in jail without the possibility of parole.
Wow. So the operator of a vehicle that is breaking numerous traffic laws should just be allowed to do so because it's "stupid teen stuff"?

The police did not pursue the turds because the car was stolen, they pursued because the vehicle wouldn't stop, ran several red lights, and broke numerous traffic laws. Fortunately, only the occupants of the pursued vehicle were harmed instead of another vehicle that could have ended up getting t-boned by these idiotic kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado