Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:59 PM

977 posts, read 1,327,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Keep in mind there is noting illegal with having a affair and it would be illegal to fire someone simply because they had one. I am not going to argue the morality of it as that is not a bases for hiring or firing someone. Now as far as the "hit and run" it was a minor incident at a stop light and I don't think there was any damage. While I do not approve of it its not like he left the scene of a accident so demoting him back to this original job was really the only option the city had and like I have said the best option for him and the city of Pueblo as he is a great city planner just not a good city manager.
That's absolutely not true. While it is not illegal to have an affair, it's absolutely justifiable to fire someone for doing so, especially if they are having an affair with a subordinate.

Sounds like this guy was saved due to his connections. Another example of the entrenched nepotism found in Pueblo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That's absolutely not true. While it is not illegal to have an affair, it's absolutely justifiable to fire someone for doing so, especially if they are having an affair with a subordinate.

Sounds like this guy was saved due to his connections. Another example of the entrenched nepotism found in Pueblo.
Ya like that never happens in Denver.

I still say this is why Pueblo needs a strong mayor versus a city manager.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Wow. So the operator of a vehicle that is breaking numerous traffic laws should just be allowed to do so because it's "stupid teen stuff"?

The police did not pursue the turds because the car was stolen, they pursued because the vehicle wouldn't stop, ran several red lights, and broke numerous traffic laws. Fortunately, only the occupants of the pursued vehicle were harmed instead of another vehicle that could have ended up getting t-boned by these idiotic kids.

My understanding is the high speed chase made it worse. They are going to do a investigation so I will wait to see what they find.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
My understanding is the high speed chase made it worse. They are going to do a investigation so I will wait to see what they find.
No, you already rendered judgement with your comment that two State Troopers deserve to be charged with murder for pursuing a vehicle that was breaking the law.

Care to walk back your statements?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
No, you already rendered judgement with your comment that two State Troopers deserve to be charged with murder for pursuing a vehicle that was breaking the law.

Care to walk back your statements?
From the current information I have I stand by those statements. If the formal investigation finds out something that I am not aware of then I would be willing to reevaluate my position.

I have always been against high speed chases as to many times the outcome can be like this one.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
I think you just made the case for why Pueblo needs a strong mayor like Denver and Colorado Springs. Then it will be up to the voters and not the city council.
You have it backwards.

Letting the people elect "one belly button to push" has more risk than not. It only takes a majority of one voter to elect trash like Marion Barry, or alleged wife beaters like Steve Bach. Once these "strong men" are in office, they are hard to stop or recall and can do real damage to a city. A city council with several viewpoints usually provides a more balanced leadership, but it depends on who gets elected, with 3 dolts out of 5 you still have dolts in charge.

Beware of putting all your eggs into one basket. This Pacheco chap sounds like a bad apple, so why put any city into the hands of such a person in the guise of a mayor. As a city manager the council should be able to fire him at will. Hopefully that position is written up in such a way that this person serves at the discretion of the council, i.e., can be terminated immediately by a majority vote of the city council - THAT is accountability.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Ya like that never happens in Denver.

I still say this is why Pueblo needs a strong mayor versus a city manager.
Nope, we're perfect up here. It's what makes us better according to the latest list of best cities published on some obscure website.

(Asides from our Mayor trying to hush a prostitution-sting investigation prior to his being sworn into office. Oh, and the Adams County commissioners. Then there's the DPD's handling of Rep. Bradford's little traffic stop....)

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You have it backwards.

Letting the people elect "one belly button to push" has more risk than not. It only takes a majority of one voter to elect trash like Marion Barry, or alleged wife beaters like Steve Bach. Once these "strong men" are in office, they are hard to stop or recall and can do real damage to a city. A city council with several viewpoints usually provides a more balanced leadership, but it depends on who gets elected, with 3 dolts out of 5 you still have dolts in charge.

Beware of putting all your eggs into one basket.
Pueblo would still have checks and balances with a city council much like congress with the president. I mean can you tell me what major city has a outdated form of government like Pueblo's with a manager who is only accountable to the city council with a president who is again elected by the city council?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Nope, we're perfect up here. It's what makes us better according to the latest list of best cities published on some obscure website.

(Asides from our Mayor trying to hush a prostitution-sting investigation prior to his being sworn into office. Oh, and the Adams County commissioners. Then there's the DPD's handling of Rep. Bradford's little traffic stop....)
I can't give you rep points but good points.....

Old 05-30-2012, 05:33 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Pueblo would still have checks and balances with a city council much like congress with the president. I mean can you tell me what major city has a outdated form of government like Pueblo's with a manager who is only accountable to the city council with a president who is again elected by the city council?
Having a "strong mayor" is just another way to let one guy, financially backed by ????, run wild with your city, regardless of voter expectations. I see nothing wrong with Pueblo's council set up. You have several council members who are elected (hopefully) from various precincts, who then pick their leader and hire a city manager. To me that is very accountable to the people, much more so than one character who is owned by who knows what vested interests.

Having a strong mayor isn't going to magically cure any city's problems, and may make them worse. Believe what you want.

Let's all get back to the topic; Jerry Pacheco, who seems to have proven himself worthy of BEING FIRED.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado