U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM

2,857 posts, read 4,692,865 times

Advertisements

Calm down now folks. Those of you on both sides of this coin are short-sighted. Don't we all know it completely depends on what type of company you're talking about here? I worked at a very well-known company in Denver and there's no way they would have paid to fly someone in for an inertivew unless the postion was C-level. And, for the most part, they flat-out ignored those who applied from out of state who claimed they would pay to fly themselves out or had relatives in the area.

That said, while living in the Denver area, my spouse was flown down to Austin to interview for a Fortune 500 company and they flew him down at a moment's notice, then paid our relocation.

If you can't believe that the second scenario does still exist, you may want to broaden your employer horizons.

I do believe the days of new employers helping you BUY YOUR HOUSE by working directly with the bank, after they pay for your cross-country move, are over, even though my mother can't fathom it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM

833 posts, read 1,381,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Calm down now folks. Those of you on both sides of this coin are short-sighted. Don't we all know it completely depends on what type of company you're talking about here? I worked at a very well-known company in Denver and there's no way they would have paid to fly someone in for an inertivew unless the postion was C-level. And, for the most part, they flat-out ignored those who applied from out of state who claimed they would pay to fly themselves out or had relatives in the area.
That's what makes job hunting so difficult. I have relatives in the area, will fly myself out and can almost always take any day(s) off with little to no notice so I can be there as quickly and for as long as they need me, but most of the time I don't even get a form-letter rejection.

One nice thing about the companies that say they will not pay for relocation is that it shows they will at least entertain the idea of getting someone from out of state. We can always sort out who pays for the trip.

Quote:
That said, while living in the Denver area, my spouse was flown down to Austin to interview for a Fortune 500 company and they flew him down at a moment's notice, then paid our relocation.

If you can't believe that the second scenario does still exist, you may want to broaden your employer horizons.
I came close to this situation myself on the very first resume I sent out, but I think I priced myself out of the job. The funny thing is this was with a well known company that I didn't expect to be interested in someone from out of state. If I were cheaper I may have made the move to Denver a year ago...

Quote:
I do believe the days of new employers helping you BUY YOUR HOUSE by working directly with the bank, after they pay for your cross-country move, are over, even though my mother can't fathom it.
I'd be happy with a few weeks in corporate housing/extended stay hotel and maybe helping with the moving costs. Anything beyond that and I would start to wonder if I was being Punk'd.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Calm down now folks. Those of you on both sides of this coin are short-sighted. Don't we all know it completely depends on what type of company you're talking about here? I worked at a very well-known company in Denver and there's no way they would have paid to fly someone in for an inertivew unless the postion was C-level.
It probably depends on the industry, right? I work in high tech (computers) and in this industry it's almost unheard of for a company not to pay your travel expenses for the interview. AS I mentioned before, I personally would not interview with a company that didn't.

However, if i worked in a different industry, I would have to do whatever was the norm for that industry.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
I would think if you are going for a common job that is less skilled and already there exists a large pool of local applicants that can be drawn from, likely you'd have to pay to get yourself there.

But with more skilled positions where companies need specialized talent, they'll have to spend to bring in those qualified and exceptional talented candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado