U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:22 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times

Advertisements

josseppie wrote:
Walking to school up hill (both ways) in snow.
You forgot to point out that it was hip deep snow, and the wind blew into your face both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Ya cus it was so hard living in Colorado in the early 80's.

Walking to school up hill (both ways) in snow. Then having to do the chores around the house like clean the cloths by hand or get the wood ready so the house will be warm at night and of course the once a week bath in the tub was sure a treat since it was hard to boil all the hot water.

Joss can be a smarty, but I actually did walk about a mile to class and back every day in brutal subzero (often -30 F.) winter weather during my years in Gunnison. Back in my younger years, among all the other hard outside work I did, I also unloaded umpteen railroad cars of grain in subzero weather or 100 F.+ weather. Real fun when you're down in the hopper in all the dust under those conditions. Real easy for people who have never done anything more difficult than to sit at a computer to joke about, but I have done REAL work out in the REAL elements.

By the way, Ed Quillen would have understood. He cut his teeth as a young man working in his father's industrial laundry. Not exactly a "country club" job.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
jazzlover wrote:
Real easy for people who have never done anything more difficult than to sit at a computer to joke about, but I have done REAL work out in the REAL elements.
Like you, I've done both...I've sweated my butt off and froze my butt off working mostly outdoor construction during my high school / college years, and for the past 15 years, I've sat in front of a computer. I'm not sure which is worse! Most grueling job of all.....by a wide margin....was tree planting in British Columbia. Joking about the hard work makes it all a bit more tolerable, for me anyway. Life is serious enough without taking it too seriously.

I could have taken the bus to school when there was snow on the ground growing up in PA, but I ALWAYS chose to walk becasue walking thru the drifts was such an adventure, whereas riding the bus was boredomville supreme. Ed would have been proud of me.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-05-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM

874 posts, read 923,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Joss can be a smarty, but I actually did walk about a mile to class and back every day in brutal subzero (often -30 F.) winter weather during my years in Gunnison. Back in my younger years, among all the other hard outside work I did, I also unloaded umpteen railroad cars of grain in subzero weather or 100 F.+ weather. Real fun when you're down in the hopper in all the dust under those conditions. Real easy for people who have never done anything more difficult than to sit at a computer to joke about, but I have done REAL work out in the REAL elements.
Sounds easy. A bit of shielding from the elements, variety of scenery, a chance for exercise... sounds like a good time. The danger of a deep leg thrombosis from sitting at a computer is far worse.

BTW, was the walking a mile to class and back done at Western State?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Sounds easy. A bit of shielding from the elements, variety of scenery, a chance for exercise... sounds like a good time. The danger of a deep leg thrombosis from sitting at a computer is far worse.

BTW, was the walking a mile to class and back done at Western State?
True and yes.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 PM

874 posts, read 923,637 times
I'm going to miss Ed Quillen's column's as they were already quite entertaining and provided some good like lessons (I enjoyed his pieces on his decision to improve his health by undertaking most of his trips by walking). Another early loss for this world and a loss to the journalism of the Denver Post.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:03 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
RIP, Ed. Yours was the first column I read in the Sunday Post every week.
"The Comittee That Really Runs America."
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
RIP, Ed. Enjoyed your witty columns and grouchy sense of humor. Please say hello to some other men of words I miss, too, from our Denver press, namely Gene Amole and John Coit.
They were wonderful writers who always tried to tell the truth.
Quote:
On a lighter note, I hope Ed gets to meet this character up there. Im sure they'd hit it off.
Michael "Flathead" Blanchard Obituary: View Michael Blanchard's Obituary by Denver Post
That's a great send-off.

Edit: From Quillen's obit: He is also survived by his latest beloved dog, Bodie, and "a bunch of obnoxious cats."
::sigh:: Always did like that guy.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:42 AM

833 posts, read 1,382,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
RIP, Ed. Enjoyed your witty columns and grouchy sense of humor. Please say hello to some other men of words I miss, too, from our Denver press, namely Gene Amole and John Coit.
On a lighter note, I hope Ed gets to meet this character up there. Im sure they'd hit it off.
Michael "Flathead" Blanchard Obituary: View Michael Blanchard's Obituary by Denver Post
Not to take away from Ed, but I too thought of Gene Amole immediately. I had been gone from Colorado several years when he started his final diary series, but there are bits and pieces of what he wrote that echo in my head when I think about moving back to Denver and I know that is where I belong.

Colorado has been blessed with more than its fair share of superb columnists and potential bad joke aside, they are a dying breed. I have some close ties to journalism and see a lot things that are happening in the background; even if another equally talented columnist comes along it will be almost impossible for them to have their voice heard in the same way the Ed or Gene did and we will be poorer for that.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM

I liked Gene Amole, as well. He and I did not always see eye-to-eye on politics, but I loved his commentary and writing just the same. My parents knew Mr. Amole personally, and had the utmost respect for him.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I liked Gene Amole, as well. He and I did not always see eye-to-eye on politics, but I loved his commentary and writing just the same.
Same here, and there were a couple other things that I disagreed with him about (Marilyn Van Derbur), but his heart and his writing skills were in the right place.

I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but there were several years where his article included the poem October's Bright Blue Weather. He always felt (and I agree) that the poem perfectly illustrated Colorado's crisp clear autumn skies during October. I still have a clipping that my mom sent me.

I once emailed him telling him about how back in the 70's, whenever I helped my dad at the office, we would listen to his KVOD radio broadcast (complete with chirping birds) during the drive out to Stapleton. It was such a peaceful beginning for a work day. He replied "Thanks for the memories."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or