U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 8,017 times

Advertisements

hello me and my wife are planning on moving to colorado in the near future, we currently live in the mountains of upstate new york and are getting tired of the cost of living and are planning on selling our house and moving to colorado. we have 2 kids both of which ski and rodeo and own three horses and 6 cattle. we are a big rodeo family and have been for the past 30 years or so and are looking to move to a place where we can buy a nice plot of land for my horses and cattle as well as being close to a good ski mountain and near an area with a sufficient amount of rodeos so that we can continue the lifestyle that we love. Any advices on good places to live would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM

347 posts, read 714,119 times
No offense.. but it sounds like things are pretty much the way you like them where you are now... others will have some suggestions for you, but just be careful... the grass is not always greener (in this case... literally).

Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Time for a big reality check. First, it will take a considerably larger tract of land to sustain your horses and cattle in Colorado, unless you plan to supplemental feed them most of the time, unless you purchase land with good water rights. Unlike New York and other Eastern states, water rights are not "riparian"--that is legally tied to the land--in Colorado, and having irrigation water is pretty much essential in arid to semi-arid Colorado. You can have the Colorado River running through the middle of your property, but if you don't have a decreed water right to use water from it, you can't use a drop. Land with decent water rights associated with it is very expensive in Colorado, likely far higher priced than your land in New York. Even then, you will need a sizable acreage and you must be prepared to supplemental feed for a good chunk of the year. If you are trying to buy land "near a ski area," cost will be astronomical--well into 7 figures for just a few acres. The cost of living in the resort towns is likely much higher than where you are now, and local incomes are generally paltry.

Colorado is also straying away from its Western roots in many areas. Rodeos are the not the big deal that they used to be in many places. There are far more rodeos in Colorado's neighboring and nearby states--Wyoming, South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Texas, etc. than there are in Colorado, anymore. My suggestion would be to look in those places for a suitable small town with stronger ties to ranching for a place for relocation.

Frankly, population growth and in-migration is doing its best to destroy what is left of Colorado's agricultural industry and Western heritage. That is both an economic and cultural tragedy, in my opinion, but that is what is happening more and more in the state. I speak of this as a former agriculturalist with long-standing ties to the farming and ranching industry in Colorado. Sadly, more and more of the "real" farmers and ranchers in Colorado (and I know a number of them), not the 35-acre ranchette "posers," are relocating to states like Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, etc. where ranching and farming is still treated as an essential and desired industry.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen0218 View Post
hello me and my wife are planning on moving to colorado in the near future, we currently live in the mountains of upstate new york and are getting tired of the cost of living and are planning on selling our house and moving to colorado. we have 2 kids both of which ski and rodeo and own three horses and 6 cattle. we are a big rodeo family and have been for the past 30 years or so and are looking to move to a place where we can buy a nice plot of land for my horses and cattle as well as being close to a good ski mountain and near an area with a sufficient amount of rodeos so that we can continue the lifestyle that we love. Any advices on good places to live would be greatly appreciated
That kind of lifestyle these days takes a multi million dollar buy in if you want to be close to a ski area, have water rights, plenty of land for your animals. If you want to be more isolated you can bring the price down some.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 PM

we have no problem with being isolated we live pretty deep in the woods here in new york, we also have no problem with being a little distance from any ski mountains anywhere within a half hour is fine for us as we are used to traveling to the mountain. i dont need a big plot of land just enough for an arena and some space for the horses. We plan on buying a house out there and not building our own im just wondering what places are good for these living conditions. We dont want to live somewhere like a city, a small town is just fine for us as we are used to it and we just want to know of some towns that are small but not too far from any rodeos or a ski mountain, and not too far from a small city. To get an idea my son has around 40 kids in his class and the population of the town is around 2,000. We live 30 minutes from the nearest small city which has a population of around 14,000.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 PM

we also live about 20 minutes from the nearest ski mountain and the nearest rodeo, as well as 15 minutes from the school that my children attend, the population of the town that we actually live in is only 900 or so

Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,199,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen0218 View Post
we have no problem with being isolated we live pretty deep in the woods here in new york, we also have no problem with being a little distance from any ski mountains anywhere within a half hour is fine for us as we are used to traveling to the mountain. i dont need a big plot of land just enough for an arena and some space for the horses. We plan on buying a house out there and not building our own im just wondering what places are good for these living conditions. We dont want to live somewhere like a city, a small town is just fine for us as we are used to it and we just want to know of some towns that are small but not too far from any rodeos or a ski mountain, and not too far from a small city. To get an idea my son has around 40 kids in his class and the population of the town is around 2,000. We live 30 minutes from the nearest small city which has a population of around 14,000.
I'm gonna' suggest that you need to come visit Colorado and get a dose of reality as to land/property values, distances, accessibility, productivity of land, water availability, etc. Once you are out of the Front Range major cities, 14,000 population "towns" aren't what you'll find here. The mountain towns near ski resorts are much much smaller populations, and the land values are expensive due to limited availability of private property.

The big difference about developable land in the Rocky Mountain States ... outside of water issues with limited availability ... is that much land is owned by the Fed or State, not available for private ownership. Supply and demand controls the marketplace, with limited acreage available for private development. Ever heard of the BLM? Nat'l Parks? Nat'l Forests? Best look at a map of Colorado and get a clue ....

Your combination of wanting a modest sized piece of property near a "small town" with "30-minute access" to a rodeo venue and skiing ... I can think of a few places that will meet this requirement. Bring $1 mil for the downpayment on these places .... try Steamboat Springs area.

FWIW, "winter driving" conditions present in rural New York are entirely different than what you'll find in dry high altitude Colorado with substantial sunshine during the winter months. The difference in the moisture and temperatures here becomes very significant; wet, slushy driving on snow is not common here. Dry snowpack and black ice is more prevalent.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:11 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times
I live within 20 minutes of Vail, a 1200 sq/ft 1970's townhome in my neighborhood goes for about $350k. If you go an hour out to Gypsum you can get a house on less than a quarter acre for $500k. Reasonable priced acreage with water rights, near a ski area and with rodeos sadly doesn't exist in Colorado. As Jazz suggested take a look at some of the surrounding states, I've lived in Colorado ski areas for 15 years and there is no reasonable land anywhere near them.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 AM

319 posts, read 640,478 times
Yes, somethng in the Steamboat Springs area is what came to my mind, too. Surely the OP knows that moving a family, cattle, and horses is no small feat in itself. He asked for ideas on "good places to live," and it seems that the rural areas outside Steamboat fit the ticket. Gorgeous country! Who knows? Maybe they have a big stash of cash and they're not feeling the need to mention that...

Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,199,644 times
LOL, reading the comments about looking for such a property to meet the wish list of the OP ... and coming to Wyoming ...

Essentially, the only place in Wyoming with acreage for horses/arena/cows that would approach meeting the 30 minutes to a ski area and rodeo venue is around Jackson.

Good Luck on finding anything affordable ... and I note that the OP was concerned about the high cost of living in NY as a reason to be leaving there.

I asked a friend from upstate NY about the costs of living there compared to Front Range Colorado expenses ... he lives in the Fort Collins area in a subdivision, not a place where he can keep livestock, let alone enough land to build an arena ... and his comments were to the effect that rural NY was substantially less expensive than Colorado. He's going "back home" as soon as his years of service vest his retirement at the company he works for and he can retire with SS and his defined benefit plan. He can't afford to live in Colorado on that income, but he can live in rural NY with the proceeds from the sale of his Colorado house to buy an acreage in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or