U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 21,427 times

Advertisements

Recently returned from a vist to Canon City. At a coffee house we stopped at there was this senior "macho" guy in camo dress, not military type. I understand there are different hunting seasons for different animals in the area. How big a thing is hunting in CC? Do you stop at a light on Royal Gorge Blv. and look over at a pick up next to you with a dead doe eyed deer tied on it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM

486 posts, read 1,236,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskittyx3 View Post
Recently returned from a vist to Canon City. At a coffee house we stopped at there was this senior "macho" guy in camo dress, not military type. I understand there are different hunting seasons for different animals in the area. How big a thing is hunting in CC? Do you stop at a light on Royal Gorge Blv. and look over at a pick up next to you with a dead doe eyed deer tied on it?
Being a semi-rural area, you do see a few of those "macho hunter guys" around town on occassion. But if it's not hunting season, those guys look like out-of-place idots and they get the stink-eye from local vegan folks like me.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM

346 posts, read 375,751 times
I'd rather see camo wearing men than noodle spined, chino wearing metrosexual "men", any day!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,105,716 times
Hunters are common scene, even in the Springs. Hell, go to a Denny's during Elk season and you'll see people with guns on their hip all over the place.

Colorado is HUGE hunting mecca, get over it.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 27 days ago)

10,323 posts, read 10,476,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Hunters are common scene, even in the Springs. Hell, go to a Denny's during Elk season and you'll see people with guns on their hip all over the place.

Colorado is HUGE hunting mecca, get over it.
Yeah it is. I am from Colorado and am currently stationed in Virginia. I was never a hunter while living in Colorado, but an avid hiker/camper type. I've recently become interested in hunting and am grateful to be here in Virginia where hunting laws are pretty easy to understand, and tags are easy to acquire. For example, $23 gets me 6 deer tags, 1 bear, and 3 turkeys. I can get it over the counter any time. Out of curiosity I checked out the Colorado laws, prices and fees, and it is obvious which state has a higher demand. Colorado's hunting fees a MUCH higher, and of course the lottery system puts you in a hold pattern hoping for the best. It doesn't surprise me. I'm sure that Colorado is one of the top hunting destinations on the Continental US. I miss Colorado badly, but I'm glad that for now I can hunt here in Virginia for low cost while I learn how to do it right. I am assured of being able to practice, whereas I'm not sure that would be the case if I lived in Colorado right now.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,105,716 times
Yea, you almost have to have a masters in Animal Husbandry to understand the hunting system out here, it's ridiculous

Old 06-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 27 days ago)

10,323 posts, read 10,476,022 times
I'm on year 13 of what is most likely going to be a 20 year sojourn in the Marines. That leaves me 7 years before I return to Colorado. I've considered putting in for the lotteries knowing that I'll not get a tag that way I'll have plenty of points by the time I move back. Some obvious flaws with my plan are that I am not certain that I'll be returning to Colorado, though that is the plan. The other flaw is that I am not certain that I'll still be hunting in another 7 years. While I'm confident that it is something I am going to enjoy, I will have to wait and see.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM

32,827 posts, read 30,110,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Being a semi-rural area, you do see a few of those "macho hunter guys" around town on occassion. But if it's not hunting season, those guys look like out-of-place idots and they get the stink-eye from local vegan folks like me.
I'm sure you put chills in their hearts with that Vulcan stink eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
I'd rather see camo wearing men than noodle spined, chino wearing metrosexual "men", any day!
Freakin awesome,

God I miss hunting CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado