U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 AM

10,092 posts, read 14,200,665 times

Advertisements

I am showing my age here, but I only heard of this Hunger Games stuff a few weeks ago. I read something about "thirteen districts many years ago, because I remember thinking that parceling out New Jersey was a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,722,319 times
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
True, it's very much different from most of the Midwest. I would say even Kansas City and Lincoln look and feel more like Ohio than they do like the western parts of the westernmost Midwestern states. Now with that said, I would still consider the Great Plains, except for the part in Wyoming, Midwestern, because after all, no region is monolithic. West Texas is still the South even though it has an arid landscape atypical of the region.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 PM

3,010 posts, read 4,901,356 times
Well, as someone who grew up in the Denver Metro area, I never considered myself as someone living in the Midwest. Most of my father's family lives in Nebraska, which is distinctly Midwest. My husband grew up in Western PA, and like Katiana says, that area is sometimes referred to as the Midwest as well. We like to call it the Mideast though. It's not quite east coast, but not really Midwest either. Similar, I suppose to Colorado. Now that I live in the west though, Colorado isn't really west coast either.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM

10,092 posts, read 14,200,665 times
I so dislike it when someone on the East Coast knows I'm visiting "the West" or "out West" and report to me how much they love California. I *know* that's not the West. I now say "the Mountain West". I'm still surprised by how many people from the East Coast have been to Europe and California and never the Mountain West, and I *do not* tolerate the term "flyover country" any more than I listen to "trailer trash," another poorly thought-out and mean phrase. (My parents lived in a trailer, a tiny one, in a very good suburb near a bad city. It's affordable living that isn't an apartment. Yes, I know they mean people who name their kids some form of "Britney," but it's insufferable).
Isn't *this* off topic. As you were.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:08 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,497,527 times
I believe the Eastern 1/3rd of Colorado north of Lamar is very Midwestern. Dialect, geography and agriculturally speaking. South of Lamar in the Eastern 1/3rd, very much like Amarillo, TX. As Jazzlover said here, the real battle lines are in Kansas. People in Goodland, KS likely root for the Broncos and not the Chiefs.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 AM

69,637 posts, read 59,670,612 times
So. I grew up and went to college in Pittsburgh, worked there a short while after graduation, and have visited family there continually ever since. I have lived here in CO for the past 32 years. I also lived in Illinois agriculture country for 7 years. DH is from Omaha, have visted there extensively over the 32 years of our marriage. I feel I am qualified to make some observations about this issue.

There are more similarities than differences among the three large cities. All three offer the kinds of things you find in cities of certain size: cultural activities, shopping, restaurants. All three cities support their sports teams enthusiasticlly, though Omaha does not have any major-league teams. All three have some of the same problems you find in most cities: poverty, racial tensions, etc. Omaha and Pittsburgh are probably more "traditional" than Denver. People in Omaha eat lunch at NOON, even on weekends, for one example. One year we had to fly to Pgh on Christmas Day. The people in Pgh and Omaha thought that was so sad; the people in Denver just said, "I see" when we told them our plans. There is way more "southwestern" flavor in Denver than the other two, and more in Omaha than Pittsburgh. Likewise, there is more eastern European tradition in Pittsburgh than the other two.

In Illinois ag country, I lived in a university community, so there were cultural activiites there. People really "celebrated" the farmers there, as they do in Omaha, moreso than in the other two cities.

I don't know what any of this means, just my observations.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,208,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People in Omaha eat lunch at NOON, even on weekends, for one example.
You lost me on that one. You eat lunch at other times of day in Denver? Isn't another difference that in the Midwest they eat the evening meal around 5 and call it supper?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,670,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You lost me on that one. You eat lunch at other times of day in Denver?
Not necessarily 12 Noon sharp on a Saturday at a restaurant!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM

101 posts, read 123,644 times
Mid West is such a vague term.
I have heard everything from Pennsylvania to Colorodo & Montana considered the Mid West.

I think Ohio, Indiana should be called the Mid East
Everything West of Chicago to the border of Colorodo the Mid West.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,208,364 times
I consider the Midwest everything East of Diamond Bar and West of Leesburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado