Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

I am from Pittsburgh. Some people say that Pittsburgh is the beginning of the midwest. I have long heard that Denver is the western terminus of the MW. So I have lived in both the eastern and western ends of the midwest, as well as Illinois, which, like Mississippi in the south, no one would say was not the midwest. There are some similarities in the two cities, Pittsburgh and Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
As a former East Coaster (Maryland) and now West Coaster (Oregon) I would say definitely yes, but most notably the Front Range.

The Front Range feels like the Midwest smacks the West/Inner Mountain West. Geographically, certainly, but also in attitude and politics. Polars everywhere.

One of the reasons I couldn't bring myself to moving to your beautiful State.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
As a former East Coaster (Maryland) and now West Coaster (Oregon) I would say definitely yes, but most notably the Front Range.

The Front Range feels like the Midwest smacks the West/Inner Mountain West. Geographically, certainly, but also in attitude and politics. Polars everywhere.

One of the reasons I couldn't bring myself to moving to your beautiful State.
What do you mean "polars"? Bears? (LOL!) CO is a "purple" state, has been for a long time, and most of the people in CO live on the Front Range.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Maybe I meant "The Nine Nations of North America?" Where did I get "thirteen districts?"
I lived in Pittsburgh for two years. It was certainly a Midwest city, although about eight hours' drive to the Jersey Shore. Six hours from Philly, which is an Eastern city. You could easily split PA up between the two major influence poles.
Pittsburgh was the major place to which people from the Appalachian mountain areas would come for opportunity, and was/is a major center for weavers and other crafts.
Plus, Pittsburgh has some of the same accent things going on as Cleveland.
I love having a geography teacher post on a forum! Looking forward to more stories of that teaching.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Maybe I meant "The Nine Nations of North America?" Where did I get "thirteen districts?"
I lived in Pittsburgh for two years. It was certainly a Midwest city, although about eight hours' drive to the Jersey Shore. Six hours from Philly, which is an Eastern city. You could easily split PA up between the two major influence poles.
Pittsburgh was the major place to which people from the Appalachian mountain areas would come for opportunity, and was/is a major center for weavers and other crafts.
Plus, Pittsburgh has some of the same accent things going on as Cleveland.
I love having a geography teacher post on a forum! Looking forward to more stories of that teaching.
Having grown up in Pittsburgh, I see (or should I say hear) little to no similarity in the accents of Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Cleveland is "northern vowel shift" or whatever they call it. Pittsburgh is pure Pittsburghese! One of the first things two Pittsburghers who meet out here say to compliment each other is "You don't have the accent". Like Pittsburgh in reverse, Denver is neither western nor midwestern; it's just Denver.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

HaHa! I just realized that "13 Districts" in America probably came from The Hunger Games Series.

I love being able to share geography with people. The biggest misconception of all is that it is all about memorizing where places are. I absolutely love the discipline.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Do you think cities like Fort Collins, Boulder, etc have similarities to places like Lincoln or Cedar Rapids, as much as they do with say, Carson City or Twin Falls?
Denver and most of the Front Range (including Fort Collins, although not so much Colorado Springs) have a lot of midwestern traits, even if geographically, it's not usually considered part of the midwest region. Fort Collins does very much feel like a midwestern college town. However, Boulder is very different. The closest thing there is to another Boulder is Santa Fe, NM (minus the southwestern/Indian/Hispanic culture part). Boulder also reminds me a few different places in California such as Santa Monica or Santa Cruz. Never been there, but I've heard that Burlington, VT has a lot in common.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Denver and most of the Front Range (including Fort Collins, although not so much Colorado Springs) have a lot of midwestern traits, even if geographically, it's not usually considered part of the midwest region. Fort Collins does very much feel like a midwestern college town. However, Boulder is very different. The closest thing there is to another Boulder is Santa Fe, NM (minus the southwestern/Indian/Hispanic culture part). Boulder also reminds me a few different places in California such as Santa Monica or Santa Cruz. Never been there, but I've heard that Burlington, VT has a lot in common.
Is boulder kinda hippie?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
I think CO used to have a more Midwestern flavor, and still does in the North Eastern and Central Eastern parts, although even there it's more like the Great Plains states of the Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska than the bible thumper Midwestern states like Indiana, Missouri, and Arkansas. I like to think it's because the more progressive elements moved West leaving behind the more narrow minded. In recent years the large influx of Easterners, Californians, and Texans has made it much less so.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Having grown up since age 12 in Sterling which is in far northeastern Colorado most from that area consider this part of the state a no man's land encompassing this area along with southwestern Nebraska and northwestern Kansas.
It defies description .
The high plains is a very interesting place devoid of trees and natural water sources like lakes.

The midwest does not look anything like this area whatsoever.

I moved to Sterling from the St. Louis Mo area so I have a good reference point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado