Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Military family desiring move to rural Colorado after Iraqi deployment; looking for employment opportunities in rural areas, veteran’s services, commute times

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 7,905 times

Advertisements

Hi. I've been reading the posts on this forum the last couple of days, and from what everyone has been saying, it's next to impossible to make a living in rural colorado. I'm currently in the military, and while stationed at Ft. Carson, my wife and I fell in love with the state. What's not to like right? Climate, outdoor activities galore, fairly laid back attitude, it was heaven to us. Well, we got moved to Germany, and since have longed to get back to the beauty of Colorado. I'm currently on my second deployment to Iraq, and contemplating where to settle down when I get out in a couple of years. My wife and I would like to settle down in rural Colorado. After reading all of these forums, I have to say, my hopes have been a little deflated. Is it really that hard to find work? I just want a good, quiet place to raise my family in. I don't expect moving to a new location anywhere will be a walk in the park, so any help, advice, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 10:33 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,740 times
Unfortunately, rural anywhere will make it hard to find work. Though, there are rural areas that are still within a reasonable commute of major towns and cities. How far out from "civilization" are you looking to be? What type of work is that you'd be interested in?

P.S. Thanks for your service to our country!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,905 times
I would like to be away from the sprawl, i grew up in the chicago suburbs, so I've been there, done that. I would be willing to commute i guess, though i don't really want to spend hours and hours in the car every day. I currently am a helicopter mechanic in the military, but would be eager to learn any trade if the opportunity presented itself. Maybe I'm ignorant, but if all these retirees, and rich yuppies are moving in, you would think that would create trade and job opportunities. Houses have to be built, markets have to be built so people can buy food. Also, I know the tourism trade is a big thing out there, even if it is seasonal.
I Don't need to be rich, as long as i can pay the bills, I'm happy

Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky1 View Post
Hi. I've been reading the posts on this forum the last couple of days, and from what everyone has been saying, it's next to impossible to make a living in rural colorado....

Is it really that hard to find work? I just want a good, quiet place to raise my family in. I don't expect moving to a new location anywhere will be a walk in the park, so any help, advice, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.
What do you expect to do for work and what do you think your income will be?
Where would you like to live?
What might you expect to pay for a home?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 AM

151 posts, read 714,503 times
Default it can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Unfortunately, rural anywhere will make it hard to find work. Though, there are rural areas that are still within a reasonable commute of major towns and cities. How far out from "civilization" are you looking to be? What type of work is that you'd be interested in?

P.S. Thanks for your service to our country!
In general, gpraceman is right. Including the fact that there *are* small rural areas on the outskirts of spreading metropolitan areas where you should be able to find some of whatever it is you are looking for -- just be sure to define what is and is not acceptable to still meet your dream. And be prepared to watch that metro area creep closer and closer.

Good schools tend to be in urban and suburban areas; rural schools just don't get enough funding. But home-schooling is becoming more popular here.

What kind of work will you be looking for? Good blue- and white-collar jobs are in metro areas. Telecommuting positions can still be very difficult to find, especially in a new job. On the other hand, perhaps your military career would make you eligible for work at one of the penitentiaries where the wages are based on federal standards. If that's the case the rural areas around Canon City or Buena Vista could make your list (there may be others, just check around)

My DH and I own a small acreage just one short block from the Boulder City limits. We have horses, access to hundreds of miles of trails, and are only 7 minutes from a big grocery store. Boulder certainly isn't “rural” anymore, but it is still a very nice (if expensive) place to live. Sounds ideal, especially when you learn that we paid $35,000 for our place (until I tell you that was over 30 years ago). Now here's the downside: we currently pay property taxes on those few acres as though it was worth almost a million bucks <insert rude, incredulous noise here>; the traffic has gone from a slow country lane to the constant thunder and stink of a major highway, our well has dried up because too much drilling was permitted, and townhouses and condos are springing up like weeks all around us.

When we retire, we hope to sell our land, load up our half-ton babies and move outta here -- but where? We haven't found any place that doesn't have its troubles, including pollution, destruction of the environment, outrageous costs for the basics including gas and utilities, crime (check out the San Luis Valley thread) etc -- all the things jazzlover wrote about are true to one extent or another.

The Front Range is becoming one big metropolitan area all along the foothills but some parts of it, far from good jobs, are still more or less rural. The plains don't really appeal, too flat, no amenities of any kind, and most of the rural towns out there are either being gobbled up by some metro area or are dying slow deaths because all the young adults have to leave to find work. On the other hand, the mountains are beautiful, but the winters can be hard and long (less horseback riding time, much higher heating costs).

So we, like you, will have to settle for just parts of the American dream. You've certainly earned a good shot at it (pardon the pun) and we hope you find enough of what you and your wife want that you can be happy and thrive here in Colorado. And yes, with enough planning, research, job skills and luck, that is still definitely possible.

Sorry this post rambled on so long, but your questions struck a very personal chord. Best of luck now and when you move here.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 AM

638 posts, read 2,280,665 times
Default As a veteran, you will find work

Having worked for BLM, USFS, and NPS, I can assure you that veterans get preference over any one else for jobs. Since many of these offices are in rural locations (because forest and BLM land is rural!) you should be able to find a job working for one of these outfits, and be the envy of all your friends. Also, even though the pay isnt as great as it could be, most rural housing is cheaper too.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 AM

291 posts, read 2,075,392 times
funky1,
Over the decades many soldiers based in Colorado had the same desire as you, to return a great state. A large number of these soldiers trained at Camp Hale and returned to Colorado after WW II and created some of the most spectacular skiing in the world.

Like them, you can come and carve your niche in this area, and, with a little effort, you can find a balance between rural Colorado and available jobs. Yes, it's difficult to earn significant money in rural areas. But you need to come and look around.

Many have found their 'balance' farther up or down the I-25 corridor. Some find the area around Pueblo to be just as beautiful as the Springs, and more affordable. Grand Junction is another great choice, and they have some aircraft businesses.

Like your 10th Mtn Div. brethren of the last century, the mountains of Colorado will be much easier to climb than Riva Ridge (Italy, WW II).

Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,658 times
How rural do you consider rural? You can find place close to Fort Carson south that are rural. Not suburban. Where you can get several acres and still commute to Pueblo or Colorado Spring for jobs. The prisons in Canon City and Florence, state and federal, hire a great number of retired military. In fact they are given extra points for have been military in reference to those who have not served their country. The building of homes is slowing down I believe. There are several small airports in the area, I would think need mechanics. I know Fort Carson hires civilians for some jobs, don't know exactly what but you should be able to find out. A several yrs ago, I knew a man that was a mechanic supervisor at the air base Peterson field, he was civilian, x military. Military are not the only ones that use copters. Firefighters, police etc. You might take a look at the area I live in. It is south of Fort Carson to live rural. Try looking at pcsfremontcounty.com website. Might give you some ideas. I was born in Colorado, raised, married raised my family here. All more or less rural. Always a couple acres at least. There are jobs to be had by living rural some close but communt 40- 50 hr might be what you have to do. My advise is to find the job first. Then decide where to live close, if a temp job until you find what you want. Rent.

Thank you for protecting our country and I sure hope you find what you want. Being Colorado Springs is military, I would think just maybe staying in this area of Colorado would be of help. Yes there are some of those people that are anti military in parts of Colorado just like everywhere but I don't think as many as some. I really do not understand those people!!! Again thank you.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:47 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Your rotary wing mechanic background qualifies you for a fast track into automotive mechanics.

As those of us in the industry saw happening in the 1970's through 2000's, there's a severe shortage of competent techs, especially those who can comprehend the complexities of modern electronics controlled automobiles.

My point is that you are in a good position to apply to just about any car brand dealership for a factory tech training program and employment. Depending upon the locale and the dealership, it's not unreasonable to see a starting income in the $50-60K range, and I know of top techs (in dealerships and independents) bringing home in excess of $100K. Since the dealerships are all over the place ... you can choose a big dealership in a city area and commute in to work, or find a single-point dealership in a smaller community where your income potential may very well allow you to be one of the top wage earners in the area (and able to buy a reasonably nice property).

Right now, the Colorado mountain (resort) community dealerships are struggling to find and retain qualified techs due to the high costs of living. They're finally recognizing the cost of getting people to live in their communities, so if you're interested in settling there, there are possibilities. You won't get rich, but there's a lot of justification to live in those areas ....

Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
How rural do you consider rural? You can find place close to Fort Carson south that are rural. Not suburban. Where you can get several acres and still commute to Pueblo or Colorado Spring for jobs. The prisons in Canon City and Florence, state and federal, hire a great number of retired military. In fact they are given extra points for have been military in reference to those who have not served their country. The building of homes is slowing down I believe. There are several small airports in the area, I would think need mechanics. I know Fort Carson hires civilians for some jobs, don't know exactly what but you should be able to find out. A several yrs ago, I knew a man that was a mechanic supervisor at the air base Peterson field, he was civilian, x military. Military are not the only ones that use copters. Firefighters, police etc. You might take a look at the area I live in. It is south of Fort Carson to live rural. Try looking at pcsfremontcounty.com website. Might give you some ideas. I was born in Colorado, raised, married raised my family here. All more or less rural. Always a couple acres at least. There are jobs to be had by living rural some close but communt 40- 50 hr might be what you have to do. My advise is to find the job first. Then decide where to live close, if a temp job until you find what you want. Rent.

Thank you for protecting our country and I sure hope you find what you want. Being Colorado Springs is military, I would think just maybe staying in this area of Colorado would be of help. Yes there are some of those people that are anti military in parts of Colorado just like everywhere but I don't think as many as some. I really do not understand those people!!! Again thank you.
That should be 40-50 MILES with an hr drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado