U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 AM

49 posts, read 218,061 times

Advertisements

How is Southern Colorado for retirment?
Interested in smaller towns, possibly more rural than most? Any suggestions? No plains...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,914,023 times
Cañon City isn't rural but it is quickly becoming a mecca for retirees.

It offers small town charm but you aren't so out in the boondocks that you can't get a good burger or some underwear at Wal*Mart.

It's nestled in a valley that features the Arkansas River, interesting geographical features and has a lot of interesting plots of land. Health care is one of the bigger employers (outside the state and federal prison system) and features a lot of artistic folk.

Summer offers a bounty of activities and winter is usually much more mild there than most places around the state.

It's close enough to C Springs that if you want to get in a Broadway play or see a musical act, it's about 45 minutes.

If I had the money, I probably would be moving there right now. It's a special small town and there are areas outside the town limits were it's more rural.

Other places to look at would be: Colorado City, Rye, Walsenburg, Trinidad...on the west side of the state: Montrose, Delta, Ouray, Durango and outlying areas, Pagosa Springs...

Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 36,999 times
Default More towns

Hey COflower, do you know anything or have advice about living in areas around Fairplay and Alma, and up that corridor?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,695,584 times
Default Southern CO

If you are intersted in buying land in the San Luis Valley there is land for sale on Ebay for very reasonable prices. Check it out in Ebay real estate. RP

Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 AM

431 posts, read 2,563,927 times
I agree Canon City is not rural but no town is what you would call rural. 1 to 2 miles from the center of town can be rural here. People seem to have different conceptions of rural. An acre or two where one can have a horse etc is rural to some. To others they are thinking rural is where the closest neighbor cannot be seen or somewhere in-between. My hubby was born and raised here. Canon City has always been a mega for retirees. At least in the last 73 yrs or so, I about 15 yrs less altho we were gone for several yrs before coming back. Popular because of the climate and the area in general. Small town and is still retaining that feeling altho growing and loosing the rural areas much too fast & the city limits are expanding too. Only 40-45 miles to larger cities if needed. Along a river. Irrigated land if wanted. Against the mts. at 5400 ft. Can be into the mts in just a matter of mins. The plains begin east over a hill but I don't believe anyone can say Canon is on the plains. There are younger people too tho. Good schools, largest employers are the state and federal prisons. Many commute the 40- 45 miles to the larger cities for work. Odd thing is there are commuters from those larger cities to work here.

Last edited by Nadine; 09-26-2007 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 AM

431 posts, read 2,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
If you are intersted in buying land in the San Luis Valley there is land for sale on Ebay for very reasonable prices. Check it out in Ebay real estate. RP
San Lois Valley is a high plain.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM

13,312 posts, read 25,542,533 times
Montrose is becoming quite a good place for retirement, although it's hardly "rural." It's only a few miles outta town for the most beautiful valley on earth, the Ridgway/Ouray area.
A friend of mine moved down from Ridgway to Montrose for her older age. The hospital there just opened a cancer center, so she doesn't have to schlep 130 miles round trip to Grand Junction for specialized care.

On the other hand, I saw a new house advertised as "Only five minutes to new Home Depot." I guess that's supposed to be a good thing.

I'd consider Durango, also, again, hardly "rural" but near an approximation. Again, health care is a real issue in Durango.
Also, I think any place would be an issue of car dependence. Of course, that being a problem might not rear up until much later older age, but it's still to be considered, eh?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:01 AM

14,540 posts, read 22,402,943 times
Colorado City and Rye would make a great retirement community and IS rural and ISN'T the plains.

It's got great golfing as they've got a 27-hole course; Hollydot at Colorado City. You've got the Greenhorn Mountain there, and if you're situated just right you can see the Spanish Peaks, the Sangre de Cristos, LaVeta Pass, and Pike's Peak.

You're close enough to shopping and medical care in Pueblo or Walsenburg (medical). You're right on I-25 so civilization is just 25 minutes away! I do believe that there are currently NO ghettos in Colorado City and Rye! It's not exactly a gated community either.

It's at least worth checking out. Go to the Bartlett trail head some Saturday morning for a nice brisk walk, but you better hurry before the snow flies.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:04 AM

291 posts, read 1,919,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlingame View Post
Hey COflower, do you know anything or have advice about living in areas around Fairplay and Alma, and up that corridor?
This area has some retirees, but it has many strikes against it:
1) Property values are being inflated by overflow of workers and 2nd home buyers coming over from Breckenridge.
2) The weather. Not so much snow, but since there are so few trees, the wind can get fierce, and what snow there is creates dangerous blizzards. just look at the 20-foot high snow fences the state has installed. At that altitude, it's always cold, in summer that's nice.
3)Economics. The area is depressed with many people on welfare, few stores.
4)Technology. High-speed internet is nearly impossible and the phone company is not Qwest, so who knows when things get fixed. Cellular service is limited to in-town.
5)Health care is not close. It's over Hoosier Pass at the clinic in Breckenridge. Things seem to only happen when the weather is bad.

I agree with COflower on all suggestions. I love Canon City. I like Salida better, but C-City has more services.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 36,999 times
Thanks BillRadio, this is very helpful. You are right on all counts. I am just looking for somewhere central , probably for a retirement place, that I can get to the many areas of the state for all the outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado