U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times

Advertisements

I am a single 33yo male considering a move to Vail. I have received a strong job opportunity ($90K) right in Vail. I also visit the mountains to snowboard and Vail is a frequent destination. But I lived in a small resort town 10 years ago, and I am a bit apprehensive about living there year round.

Aside from the outdoor activities (which I love) are there are also of strong social interaction for a socially active guy? bars restaurants during the offseason?

What about Cost of Living on $90k? is it comfortable?

Thanks for all your thoughts!

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM

404 posts, read 702,814 times
I'm jealous of your opportunity and would do that in a heartbeat.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
I think you can live pretty reasonably on 90k in the Vail Valley. You will not be able to afford a detached house with a yard like one would find in a city like Denver, but you should be able to get a nice condo/duplex.

The off-seasons, especially after winter, is quiet, but the locals there are still active. Keep in mind the actual local community is small and everyone in a way knows everyone. I always took off for most of the off seasons but I know my sister and many friends and coworkers always found things to do and stayed busy.

But personally I and everyone else always relished the off seasons. The winter and summer seasons are so busy and jamming with so much going on and so many people being around, no matter how great of a social monger you are, everyone is ready for a break and a transition to the next season. Especially in winter, people are getting the burn out phase by mid late March.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
I could live VERY well ANYWHERE on a $90K salary.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,605,182 times
You should be fine on 90k, not wealthy, but comfortable. If you can manage to rent something in Vail for the first year you will get the full experience, enjoy aprés, hop on the bus to get home, bike around in the summer, go to the free concerts... If Vail doesn't so it for you, you can try Eagle-Vail or Avon, Edwards is nice, but more family oriented and will likely be a little boring.

Off season does quiet down some, but there is still plenty to do and as wanneroo wrote, it's nice to get a break from the craziness of the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or