U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 26,822 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So here is my story, I currently live in the Midwest. I live a blue collar middle class lifestyle and make fairly good money. I'm working towards a bachelors degree in psych. About 2 years away from that, but I do have applicable job skills. I have a fair amount of savings as well.

My plan is to eventually escape the rat race, and move to a smaller town on the front range. I've been to Denver before and fell in love with the outdoor activities provided by the mountains. My plan is to move to Pueblo and buy a home. Now my budget is 40k.

Would you buy a home in Pueblo, in a bad neighborhood, if you wanted to live frugally and not have a mortgage or car payment? Would it be possible to find a home in Pueblo in a decent neighborhood for this price or do I have unrealistic expectations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM

12,106 posts, read 20,420,899 times
I would not buy a home on the lower east side or Bessemer in Pueblo but you can find a reasonably priced home in a good area in Pueblo. My advise is to come out rent then spend 3-6 months looking for a house you would like in the price range you want to pay.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM

16,211 posts, read 20,257,944 times
There is a good source for checking out prices. Go to Realtor.com, pull up the site, and type in Pueblo in the search box. And also Pueblo West. On another Pueblo thread (can't remember which one) I noted 224 homes for sale in the Pueblo West area, Pueblo has 867 homes that Realtor.com has listed. It wouldn't hurt to come out and spend a few days at one of the motels and really scope out the area and see what works for you. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,503,592 times
I would do it! But maybe Cleveland would be a better idea. (Cheaper. )

Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 PM

20,378 posts, read 37,943,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I would do it! But maybe Cleveland would be a better idea. (Cheaper. )
Or Buffalo, not only cheap houses, but you get Pro Football, a lot of snow, and great Wings!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 PM

16,211 posts, read 20,257,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Or Buffalo, not only cheap houses, but you get Pro Football, a lot of snow, and great Wings!
Ooh! Beer, Buffalo Wings, and pro football equals YESS!!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 PM

13,744 posts, read 21,595,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inteljustice View Post
Hi,

So here is my story, I currently live in the Midwest. I live a blue collar middle class lifestyle ...but I do have applicable job skills.
What job skills? Job skills to work in Pueblo now or job skills pertaining to the degree you're working on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteljustice View Post
Now my budget is 40k.
Your budget is 40k for what? To put down on a house or to buy a house with?

Why Pueblo again? It may be affordable and you may find your dream home here for within your budget, but will you advance in the career long term here? Do you even like it here? Is it too far from the mountains for you here? These are more important questions for your situation here imo, and like Joss and Mike said, rent or stay for a bit and see if it's where you want to live long-term.

As far as your wondering about whether or not to move into a bad neighborhood if it's affordable? Absolutely not. I wouldn't live in a hood that's run down and full of homes where people trash it up and don't take care of their yards and party into the night, etc. This breeds crime and we've got more than enough of that down here. Among this chaos, there are areas that are nice and these good folks kind of look out for each other. This is the kind of neighborhood you want to be in. If this is not affordable, rent or move somewhere else. That's my opinion.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 PM

13,744 posts, read 21,595,339 times
With regards to buying a cheap home in a "BAD" neighborhood... there's an add on page 2c of the Pueblo Chieftain today which states, 1014 E. 10th Street charming 4 bed 2 bath 1.5 story home on the eastside... featuring wood floors, fenced back yard, 1 car detached garage and much more for $24,900.00

So there ya go. Possible risky investment.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,499,096 times
inteljustice wrote:
I do have applicable job skills
Having an applicable job skill, whatever that means, is only part of the equation. An equally important part is a job opening that requires your applicable job skill. In todays economy, finding the job opening is oftentimes 90% of the equation.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 PM

463 posts, read 947,481 times
My nephew got a bachelors in psych. He graduated on Friday and started work on Monday. Lots of vets with PTSD need counseling so it's a growing field.
If you like to fish, bring a rod next time you visit and check out the reservior-great fishing.
I'd rather have no mortgage and an iffy neighborhood than struggle to meet the debt service for a McMansion but thats just me. I'm pursuing a similar plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or