U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Not sure if I agree with that, the most common Wrangler sold today is the 4-door version which is much better for carrying people and gear. The interior and power train has been re-vamped lately and is much better than pre 2010-2011s. My '12 Unlimited Rubicon has less road noise on the highway than my 2010 Subaru Legacy I traded it in on. It's not a Cadillac, but I think it's plenty comfortable on the highway and for road trips
A friend has a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. It is still pretty limited in what it can carry--it's bigger than the two-door, but not that much bigger. Awesome 4WD, though. I still fret about its long-term reliability and Chrysler's feeble dealer and parts network. Horror stories of people with Chrysler vehicles having their vehicle laid up for weeks waiting for parts are still pretty rampant--one of the worst of the major automakers in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm saving for a CJ with a small diesel conversion. Good mileage and that thing will go anywhere. I rode in one years ago and it was awesome.
The 2.8L VM Motori diesel that was available in the '05 and '06 Liberty's sold in the US was an awesome little diesel engine. It is available in the Wrangler and Liberty overseas yet today. Unfortunately, it would not meet the 2007+ diesel emission standards in the US. Mopar Performance sold it as a drop-in conversion for Wranglers for awhile (for big bucks)--I don't know whether they still do. Still not US emissions legal in a 2007+ vehicle, though.

One other note/addition to my earlier post: In 4WD pickups, avoid the 6.0 and 6.4 liter Ford Powerstroke diesels like the plague. Horribly unreliable engines that cost a fortune to repair. The 2011+ 6.7 diesel appears to be a fine, reliable engine, but the 6.0 and 6.4 were junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
A friend has a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. It is still pretty limited in what it can carry--it's bigger than the two-door, but not that much bigger. Awesome 4WD, though. I still fret about its long-term reliability and Chrysler's feeble dealer and parts network. Horror stories of people with Chrysler vehicles having their vehicle laid up for weeks waiting for parts are still pretty rampant--one of the worst of the major automakers in that regard.

The 2.8L VM Motori diesel that was available in the '05 and '06 Liberty's sold in the US was an awesome little diesel engine. It is available in the Wrangler and Liberty overseas yet today. Unfortunately, it would not meet the 2007+ diesel emission standards in the US. Mopar Performance sold it as a drop-in conversion for Wranglers for awhile (for big bucks)--I don't know whether they still do. Still not US emissions legal in a 2007+ vehicle, though.

One other note/addition to my earlier post: In 4WD pickups, avoid the 6.0 and 6.4 liter Ford Powerstroke diesels like the plague. Horribly unreliable engines that cost a fortune to repair. The 2011+ 6.7 diesel appears to be a fine, reliable engine, but the 6.0 and 6.4 were junk.
I didn't like the mileage figure of those if true. I'd like to do one of the lil marine app motors. I've got the F350 with the 7.3 and just LOVE IT. The beast will go anywhere but it's hindered by it's size on switchbacks. It can actually be terrifying with no rail and a 2000 foot drop. That and it's so wide it gets scratched and gouged easily.

Hmm, even a oil burner little Sazuki would be cool. You'd have to cover it in gear boxes and hitch mounted hauler to actually be able to take enough gear.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 PM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
Jeep, period. Nothing else that small that still has solid axles. Rubicons are nice, but not really necessary. I have a base X model TJ with a 4 inch lift and a winch, but that's it. Still has the stock Dana 30/35 Combo and nothing else, and I've never gotten stuck one single time, then again I'm not going rock crawling. I don't go looking for trouble to get in though.

I wish I could afford a Rubicon, but honestly, I could build my TJ with far better and stronger equipment than what comes with one, for half the money. A few years ago, I helped a friend build a YJ with High pinon Dana 60's, air lockers front and rear, and the whole drivetrain from a early 90's Firebird. I think he had maybe $3000 in the whole package, and that thing was indestructable offroad.

My old man has an unlimited JK Ruby, he paid nearly $40k for that thing, what a waste.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
My dream choice would be a Nissan Patrol, unfortunately not sold here in the USA until this year(as the new Infiniti QX56). I'd enjoy a Range Rover or G Wagen.

I do a lot of off road driving instruction these days, high and low speed. I've used a variety of vehicles over the years.

Not a fan of Toyotas, especially newer ones from the past 10 years. The cockpit is squashed(I'm 5ft9, 5ft10 and my head is always squashed against the roof in these things, the center of gravity is very high and suspensions are very stiff and set up for road driving. Fortunately I haven't, but some others have rolled them at our facility. We've never had much luck with reliability either. Some of our clients have brought some overseas models as well, not impressed with those either. The FJ Cruiser, especially with a few mods, I have found alright(short wheelbase, better breakover angle).

The Nissan Xterras seem to do pretty good overall and always had good luck with them.

The Jeeps also have impressed me more than I expected.

The Chevy Tahoe I have also found decent when you disable the ABS and add a few mods like skid plates and tires.

Overall if you are not on roads with big rocks and are on gravel or moderate tracks, the Subaru Outback does fine.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM

10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times
^ ah the Subaru Outback, hunter green. The official car of Colorado.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM

32,526 posts, read 17,643,747 times
Default Good vehicle for the backcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'd like to find out what people consider to be the best all around vehicle for the backcountry. Maybe the Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Land Cruiser, or something else?

Please include year, make, model, and any vehicle modifications you consider essential.

Please do not include non-vehicle accessories (tools, first aid, survival gear, etc.)

Depends.

What kind of 4-wheeling are you going to do?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 PM

319 posts, read 619,917 times
I'm with the other Jeep lovers. My 1995 Cherokee, 4.0 liter, straight-6, manual tranny is my only vehicle, and it takes me everywhere I want to go. My former 1994 Jeep (same basic model, may she RIP) and I rolled in southcentral Utah in 2003. Took me quite a while before my brain settled in a bit and I was ready to drive again, but soon as I could, I went right back and got my next Jeep. People thought I was crazy to go back to the hair of the dog that bit me, but as I told them, "What's important isn't that my Jeep went careening through the air over and over and over and over until it was smashed like a tin can. What's important is that I'm here to tell the story." I guess it's a Jeep thing.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
^ ah the Subaru Outback, hunter green. The official car of Colorado.

Also the official car of Short haired, chain wallet carrying women who's door swings the other way, if you get my drift.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:01 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,169,737 times
I drive a 90 yj,last 258 with a carb. will always get you home. striped er down of most vacume lines and did a nutter bypass to disable that stupid computer junk. still got the weber carb at 226000 miles. dont 4 wheel if you dont know how to fix your junk.I even carry spare drive shafts and axles among other things to get off the mountain parts and tools. The dealer wont help you up there hang with other jeepers or join a club to get started.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:36 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Yup, a Jeep Wrangler with lockers on both axles. You'll be able to go anywhere. If you want a comfty SUV, get a 2006-2010 Jeep Commander or Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Drive II. This gives you electronic limited slip diffs on the front and rear, allowing 100% of the power to go to one wheel with traction. The latest generation JGC does not have a ELSD on the front axles.

If you want a rock crawling pickup that can tow over 10k pounds, get a 2010+ (4G) Dodge Power Wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado