U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,105,716 times

Advertisements

I'm angry with Dodge about the Power Wagon. Why they refuse to put a Cummins diesel in it is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,119,489 times
Wouldn't be too bad adding lockers, electronic sway bar, and a winch to a CTD. Surprised they dont make it a "Off Road" package available on all series.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,179,562 times
Build your own,so easy if you want too

Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Build your own,so easy if you want too

WAY ahead of you. My '03 2500 Quad cab has lockers front and rear with a 12K Warn winch and ARB bumpers, 6 inch lift, 37 inch MTR's. The only thing I don't have is the electronic disconecctable sway bar, that thing is almost useless anyway.

I'll run circles around any factory Power Wagon, but it would still be nice to have one that says Power Wagon on it. I wont drive a truck with a gas engine though. That 5.7 Hemi is worthless.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 AM

2,561 posts, read 4,875,314 times
You can go fast but I can go ANYWHERE...get a beater Land Rover...I can't tell you how many Wranglers I have rescued out of some of Colorado's most difficult terrain. I have owned several Wranglers,Cherokees, and even the old Wagoneer..all fantastic vehicles but Land Rovers are serious high country monsters not to mention the more stable, comfortable ride.

Last edited by Scott5280; 06-25-2012 at 01:05 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,130,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I'm angry with Dodge about the Power Wagon. Why they refuse to put a Cummins diesel in it is beyond me.
I agree with you on this one. When the Power Wagon (the new version) came out a few years ago, I asked a Dodge dealer friend of mine why the Power Wagon didn't come with a diesel option. He called Chrysler engineering. The answer he got was that that the Cummins engine was too heavy for the front suspension that had been designed for the Power Wagon.

That said, I'm still not a fan of Dodges, mainly because of their flimsy body work. The new models are better, but the '94-'02 models had real problems with breaking cab mounts and breaking radiator mounts if they saw much off-road use. My mechanic, who is a fleet mechanic working on all kinds of utility and government vehicles (including US Forest Service vehicles), said that failures like those were near 100% on that era of Dodges if the trucks saw a lot of off-road use. Both were difficult and expensive to repair. If you look at the private 4WD heavy duty pickup fleets that get hard off-road use, almost all of them are either Fords or GM trucks--there is a reason--they hold up better. GM seemed to be the preferred model for diesel pickups for about 10 years now--the Duramax being a much better engine than the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 "Powerjokes." Ford held sway with their gas engines Super Duties. Since Ford came out with the 6.7 diesel in 2011, more and more truck fleets are switching to the diesel Fords. A couple of large fleet outfits I know have switched to them exclusively. Dodge also made the moronic step of dropping an extended cab option on their HD pickups, only offering a regular cab or a crew cab. That has also cost them a ton of sales. The only thing I can say positive about the Dodge is the Cummins engine and the solid front axle in the HD 4WD's--but that isn't enough to convince me to ever buy one. Now, the old '48-'68 civilian 1-ton Dodge Power Wagon patterned after the military models--that was an animal.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,917,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
You can go fast but I can go ANYWHERE...get a beater Land Rover...
What Years and Models do you have in mind?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 AM

2,561 posts, read 4,875,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
What Years and Models do you have in mind?
I have had both the older 1995 Range Rover County and now I have a 1998 Land Rover Discovery Limited Edition. I picked the Discovery up for 8k about six years back; didn't know much about them at all and was just looking for something sturdy in the hills for weekends. In no way am I an expert on Rovers but it doesn't take much before you witness their incredible performance. I have taken it through the worst of the worst mining trails on Twin Cone Peaks above Kenosha..most hard core off roaders know the area I am refering to. Anyway just for kicks I negotiated the final summit something I was never able to achieve in a stock (no lift kit) Jeep product. FYI I am not a four wheel enthusiast; just tend to hit the back country alot for mt. biking,climbing,hiking..ect. Have not read this entire thread but one of the biggest factors to great performance imo is having some experience mt. driving...it matters more than vehicle type some times. I have taken Audis and Saabs into some places that should have taken the mufflers off around the first switchback..My every day ride is a Subaru Outback as Rovers tend to be guzzlers.

Last edited by Scott5280; 06-26-2012 at 07:03 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,130,110 times
Scott5280 is right about backcountry driving experience making a huge difference. My late father could take a regular sedan into places some people couldn't get in with a 4WD.

As to the Land Rovers, some of them are very capable backcountry vehicles, but their overall mechanical reliability record is horrible. Add to that the fact that there are few Land Rover dealers in Colorado, so parts availability can be a real problem. As a long-time rural resident of the Rocky Mountain West, I recommend that people stick with the major manufacturers of 4WD's (GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler--though Chrysler nearly falls out that classification in my book) that have a robust dealer and parts network in the rural areas. Plus, most mechanics, even out in the sticks, know how to work on them.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The answer he got was that that the Cummins engine was too heavy for the front suspension that had been designed for the Power Wagon.

Chrylser is 100% full of ****. Any other 2500 you can buy, has the exact same front axle (sans locking diff) as the power wagon, and less heavy duty springs. The PW could support a Cummins with no problem whatsoever.

I have a '02 right now, I've wheeled that thing alot, and HARD, So far, no cab mount issues to speak of, It's a tough ass truck. Chevy's blow. Why they refuse to put a solid front axle in their heavy duty trucks is anyone's guess. At least Ford and Dodge still get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado