U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Chrysler is 100% full of ****. Any other 2500 you can buy, has the exact same front axle (sans locking diff) as the power wagon, and less heavy duty springs. The PW could support a Cummins with no problem whatsoever.

I have a '02 right now, I've wheeled that thing alot, and HARD, So far, no cab mount issues to speak of, It's a tough ass truck. Chevy's blow. Why they refuse to put a solid front axle in their heavy duty trucks is anyone's guess. At least Ford and Dodge still get it.
I'm skeptical about Chrysler's "excuse" for no diesel Power Wagon, too, but that it what the "corporate line" was. I also agree with you about the GM independent front suspension. I have a lot of experience with them and what they gain in on-road comfort they more than give away when they are used off-road. That said, the 3/4 and 1-ton GM independent suspension is much more robust that that in the half-tons. It also don't lose as much dynamic ground clearance when the suspension goes into full compression, primarily because the suspension is much stiffer than in the half-tons. Still, a solid front axle suspension is superior, in my opinion. I regularly use one of the new Ford 3/4 tons 4x4's with the 6.7 diesel. Ford finally has just about all the pieces right on that truck--powerful and fuel economical engine for the truck's size, very good bodywork, good-riding but tough SFA suspension, and a superb transmission. That is why there are a jillion of them being sold into truck fleets these days. About the only serious shortcoming of the Ford for serious backcountry use is its physical size, but that is the tradeoff for having a pickup with the ability to carry heavy and/or bulky cargo.

One can also get into a debate about gas vs. diesel. Back when diesel was way cheaper than gasoline, it was a no-brainer--diesel was best. With diesel and gas prices being "inverted" for years now (that is, gasoline cheaper than diesel fuel per gallon), the picture gets a lot more murky. In the example of the Ford, the new 6.2 gas engine, if the truck isn't used for towing, has narrowed the fuel economy gap between it and the 6.7 diesel enough that the gas engine's lower fuel economy is offset by the diesel's much higher acquisition cost. In the case of the Dodge Power Wagon, well, the 5.7 with the lower gearing of the Power Wagon option translates into horrible fuel economy. A fellow that I know who has one (and who is no "hot-rodder" of a driver) can only manage about 12 mpg out of it, at best, and is typically getting 9-10 mpg. As he notes, at $3-$4 per gallon for fuel, it sits a whole lot. As I noted earlier, anyone looking at a diesel pickup should absolutely avoid the 6.0 and 6.4 Ford Powerstrokes and, frankly, Dodge and GM's models (especially GM) from 2007 to 2010. That period was after the diesel emission standards were tightened but before the manufacturers had perfected the emission control equipment very well. Those years typically get about 20%-30% worse fuel economy than the prior years' models or the 2011 and up models.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,063 times
Default Fj

Toyota FJ Cruiser, hands-down. The ***** about lack of rear visibility is overstated - go test drive one, then decide for yourself, that is what we did. Now I own one, all stock, with all the goodies though. Just got back from Ouray...an impressive machine, very much at ease on the blacktop also.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,104,729 times
FJ is good, but no locker in the front and no removable roof or even a sunroof is why the Wrangler will always remain King.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCornersKid View Post
Toyota FJ Cruiser, hands-down. The ***** about lack of rear visibility is overstated - go test drive one, then decide for yourself, that is what we did. Now I own one, all stock, with all the goodies though. Just got back from Ouray...an impressive machine, very much at ease on the blacktop also.
Sorry, but I've seen Jeep Cherokees (the XJ) that are basically stock except for a 3" suspension lift and a locking rear differential easily outdo FJ's on some of the tougher trails in Colorado. The FJ is better than many others of today's 4WD's, but it still has the off-road deficiencies of an independent front suspension and that crappy rearward visibility. Though I dislike the Wrangler for its poor reliability record for repairs, it will still beat an FJ when it comes to off-road prowess. I remember laughing a few years ago when I ran into some FJ's whose owners had hung around for a couple of extra days after their rally in Ouray. They were on a mildly challenging trail in the San Juans, their progress being marked by the sound of a lot of metal on rock as their front suspension skid plates took a savage beating as they tried to get up the trail. Meanwhile, some stock Wranglers, not even Rubicons, traversed the same section and never had anything but their tires touch the trail. I've driven and owned both IFS and solid front axle 4WD's in a 4-wheeling career that has spanned over four decades--I'll take an SFA over IFS every time on a tough trail. Toyota does make some great SFA 4WD's--unfortunately, you can't buy them in the US.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,170,969 times
Other than upgrades my yj only needed a starter so far. tires battery and 1 brake job. very reliable and most miles are on the trail. solid front axle rocks on rocks would never have them round springy things,ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado