U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM

18 posts, read 20,115 times
Default 7 days in Vail...local expertise needed

Hi all...my wife & I will be in Vail first week of July. We're curious what sights/activities/experiences you make sure to bring your friends & family to when they visit the area. We're mid-40's, pretty active & "outdoorsy", not shy about spending a few bucks if it'll create a great memory, and I'm an avid road cyclist. Thanks in advance, and...WE CAN'T WAIT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 PM

7,842 posts, read 9,302,317 times
For an avid road cyclist I recommend climbing the highest road in America @ Mt. Evans. Also, spend a day in Breckenridge.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 AM

9,692 posts, read 11,346,573 times
I lived in Vail for 7 years and might head out to visit this year at a similar time.

4th of July is one of the busiest weeks of the year. Usually there is a large fireworks display in Avon and a smaller one in Vail, but with the extreme fire danger this year, I don't know if they will do that or not. Haven't checked into it.

What I would recommend is:

1. Piney Lake Ranch
2. 4 Eagle Ranch
3. Rafting and Jeep tours with the local companies(Lakota, Timberline or Nova Guides)
4. Horseback riding at Beaver Creek
5. Enjoying an outdoor meal on the deck at many local restaurants
6. Fly fishing
7. Mountain biking up the hill in Vail or Beaver Creek
8. Any other concerts or events that might be going on. Check the Vail Daily every day.

Personally I hate road cyclists in Vail. Despise them with a passion. There is a paved path that runs the entire length of Vail, up and over Vail Pass and then over to Breckenridge. Despite the fact the path parallels the Frontage Road, the cyclists insist on clogging up the roads which jams up traffic and creates hazardous situations where there doesn't need to be any.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-24-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 421 times
do well in this adventure you will have with your wife

Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 AM

10,469 posts, read 16,566,943 times
I would certainly do the loop south to Leadville and over Independance Pass and into Aspen (great bike or MC ride). Also go on from Aspen down through Glenwood Springs and spend a comfortable evening soaking in the pool.

You can probably find a place to rent MC in Glenwood Springs, There are some spectacular mtn roads to explore (such as heading to Crested Butte from Carbondale). Vail itself is not terribly exciting in the summer.

Colo roads cannot be beat for MC and especially Bicycle. (wide shoulders, sweeping curves, great vistas)

Plan your trip / equipment accordingly. (Bring / buy a cheap bike rack for rental car)

BTW: I am sure you would need a MC license endorsement to rent... probably too late for that (most states require safety courses). Hopefully you have an endorsement, but... oh my... $$$$ in my state to renew. (pays for safety program)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-24-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 AM

7,896 posts, read 19,819,732 times
The Betty Ford Gardens and surrounding area is worth your time, featuring a high altitude horticulture display.

The concerts in the park are a good outdoor amphitheater with wonderful acoustics. Bring a blanket and sit out on the lawn.

The town itself is busy with the stores/restaurants, but the main attraction is the outdoor activities. You'll not lack for bicycling routes; head over the pass to Dillon on the bicycle path up over Vail pass. Hiking into the surrounding forest aeas yields spectacular vistas. Boating on Dillon Res, too ... you can rent power or sailboats there at the marina.

The Hot Springs at Glenwood is worth the down-valley trip for a day. There's lots of local area fly fishing in the area streams.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 PM

18 posts, read 20,115 times
Great info! I've been glued to the Internet checking out all the possibilities you all have suggested. Thanks so much.

Does anyone have a sense of whether the horrific wildfires and the continuing fire danger means that we might want to postpone our trip? What a tragedy...I've been watching local TV news online, and we're just dumbfounded. Thanks again folks, and be safe.

-Steve

Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 PM

9,692 posts, read 11,346,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addfellow View Post
Great info! I've been glued to the Internet checking out all the possibilities you all have suggested. Thanks so much.

Does anyone have a sense of whether the horrific wildfires and the continuing fire danger means that we might want to postpone our trip? What a tragedy...I've been watching local TV news online, and we're just dumbfounded. Thanks again folks, and be safe.

-Steve
Except for a small fire 30 miles away, right now there is nothing happening in the area. I haven't heard from relatives and friends about any issues or smoke.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM

2,119 posts, read 1,790,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addfellow View Post

-Steve
The fires are all quite a ways from Vail, but conditions are ripe for a fire to start. That is why Vail has cancelled its fireworks show for July 4th. There is a 4th of July Parade in the morning, and a concert at the Ford Amphitheater by the Dallas Symphony that afternoon. You'll need tickets for the concert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado