U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:16 PM

65 posts, read 202,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Native community: Your wife might be interested in this. The Native community in Colorado Springs is really small. I don't know if ya'll are powwow people or not, but there are dances here, but they are not what you would be used to in OK. They are better than nothing, but I really prefer to go back to Lawton for dances. There are more up in Denver adn Ft Collins than here, but they tend to have a more Northern flavor to them. There is a really good southern drum that comes out of Denver: Waterbird. That drum is led by one of the Cozads and are quite good. Since she's Kiowa, she'll know who they are. Being a Southern Straight Dancer myself, I only go to dances where they or another southern drum are at. I don't like dancing to Northern drums. We do have an Indian Center here in the Springs. It's okay, but Denver has a much better one with more activities and more NDNs, if you get my meaning. The Denver Native community is larger for sure. A lot of Lakotas, Northern Cheyenne, Navajos and a sprinkling of others. There are the Utes down in the SW corner of the state and they put on a big dance there every year. Still, I find the need to get back to OK at least once a year to get my Numunu fix.
My wife and I have gone to some serious powwows here in Oklahoma, but she isn't tied to just making friends within the Native community. She just needs a neighborhood or community that she won't have issues finding friendly people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,643,523 times
Again, it will depend on what city you want to live in. COS IT positions are very tied to the military so unless you have a Secret clearance or better, you won't qualify for those positions. I did not like COS and moved to Tulsa instead. I feel like I got very lucky as Tulsa has much lower housing costs, we got a 2700 sf house in midtown for 185k. I doubt you'll find something like that in the front range except for Pueblo. The starter homes in Douglas County start at 300k or so and at 85k, you'll be stretching your budget very far once you factor in utilities and food. Expect your utilities to be 20-30% higher in Colorado as well.

Denver/Boulder pay scales in IT run the gamut. Some are very lowly paid but some people make a lot of money too. In my industry, energy, Denver and Tulsa pay scales are very similar but given that Tulsa has a much lower cost of living, I am much better off in Oklahoma. I'd rather have more money in my 401k than go skiing every weekend, although I do miss that.

You might want to look at the northern suburbs of Denver or older parts of Lakewood as they tend to be the "cheap seats" if you are trying to stay around 200k and have 2000 sf. You may also want to look at Ken Caryl. There is a large glut and foreclosure belt there but there are a lot of underfunded HOA issues too. If they are cleaned up, it isn't a bad area of town and closer to the mountains than most of Denver.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 468 times
I am living in Denver and am pretty well connected. What programming languages do you know? I know of a company that is looking for someone who knows .net or Java. They are located in the Denver Tech Area (I-25 and Arapahoe). If you worked for them you could live in Castle Rock, which is a smaller town just 20min south of the company. send me a message if you need more info.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM

28 posts, read 94,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I'd rather have more money in my 401k than go skiing every weekend...
That's crazy talk!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,514,277 times
jazzlover wrote: Ignore the posts from people who transplanted to Colorado who crow about Colorado's low living costs. Most of them come from the high cost-of-living states like California, New York, Illinois, etc. Colorado seems like a bargain to them, but it probably won't to you--

I think jazzz is right on the money in telling you that you probably won't experience Colorado as a bargain. But you have nothing to gain by ignoring the posts from people who transplanted to Colorado who crow about Colorado's low living costs. To people coming to Colorado from the higher cost of living states....Colorado IS a bargain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado