Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM

44 posts, read 145,667 times

Advertisements

What part of Aspen has the most concentration of things to do? is there an area of town where there are bars, restaurants, lounges or shopping? What is the more upscale part of Aspen that offers the most to do? Are there any areas in Aspen that are must see's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,598,371 times
Just go to the center of town (easy to find), park the car, and get out and walk. Plenty of shops, bars, and restaurants.

For me, a Not-To-Miss is the Maroon Bells. It's iconic Colorado. You need to take a shuttle bus because they restrict vehicular traffic. I'm sure you can find a schedule and pick-up locations on-line.

I also recommend a drive to the top of Independence Pass for some fantastic views. The drive down the east side is really scary, so just go up and back down to Aspen.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,608,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aet08 View Post
What part of Aspen has the most concentration of things to do? is there an area of town where there are bars, restaurants, lounges or shopping? What is the more upscale part of Aspen that offers the most to do? Are there any areas in Aspen that are must see's?
Aspen is just a small town of a few thousand people, not a megacity.

It's all upscale and pricey, there is no downscale in Aspen! LOL! It's one of the most expensive places to live in the USA. I remember one deli that was on the cheaper end of the scale I used to get a sandwich from when working in town and a sandwich, chips and drink was $20. Otherwise I would dine at the Hickory House.

There is the main parking structure in town behind the Hotel Jerome, parking is around $25 a day. Park there and start walking. There is an information center next to the parking structure where you can get some town maps which is helpful to locate particular shops or restaurants.

Bring plenty of cash, almost all of the restaurants are pricey and so are the shops. It's like a mini Beverly Hills in the mountains. It's fun and scenic but you can easily get cash squeezed out of your wallet there.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,736,091 times
Quote:
What part of Aspen has the most concentration of things to do? is there an area of town where there are bars, restaurants, lounges or shopping?
Well Aspen is a tiny town, there's one main street and that's where everything's at. You can't miss it.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,035,699 times
I was in Aspen during the winter and did find a reasonably priced place to eat: It's a casual eating restaurant right in town, it's called something like Boogies and is decorated like 50's era. You walk up stairs to the restaurant. You can get a good burger there for $10.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM

44 posts, read 145,667 times
Anyone have suggestions for the best pubs, wine bars and lounges in Aspen? Any fun places anyone can recommend? Is there a particular area of town that has a high concentration of great bars and or nightlife? Thanks for your help!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,984,569 times
Quote:
Anyone have suggestions for the best pubs, wine bars and lounges in Aspen? Any fun places anyone can recommend? Is there a particular area of town that has a high concentration of great bars and or nightlife? Thanks for your help!
You appear to have a misconception that Aspen is a very large, spread out city that may have districts that vary.

On the contrary, Aspen is a relatively small town and the area where most of the stores, bars, restaurants, and nightlife is concentrated within an area that is very walkable. I have done so numerous times from a friend's house a few blocks away from the center of town because that's all there is to town for your interests ... maybe 15 square blocks, give or take a few ...

"best" recommendations would be very dependent upon your tastes in cuisines, price ranges (hint: it's expensive to very expensive to outrageously expensive), and what you consider to be a fun place.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,608,076 times
Quote:
Yep if you check out this map:

http://www.aspenchamber.org/includes...wn-Map-AAC.pdf

There is about 16 square blocks where 90% of everything is from Main Street to Durant, from Aspen St to Spring St.

The parking garage is on N. Mill St.

Syzygy and Mezzaluna are popular with the hipsters.

As we pointed out, it's a small town and not hard to walk around and take it all in and make choices on what you want to try.

Personally for me, I eat at the Hickory House when I am in town, I'm not into all the nightlife and used to ignore much of it because I had a job to do and couldn't be sloshed.

Keep in mind the summer season winds down on Labor Day. September will still have some people about, depending on what activities are going on.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,109,602 times
If you're flexible on when you plan to be in Aspen, this sounds like a fun way to get a chance to mingle with Aspenites:

The Aspen Mac & Cheese Festival
Quote:
ASPEN — The Aspen Mac & Cheese Festival, a hit with area residents when it was introduced last year, will return to East Hopkins Avenue's restaurant row Sept. 8.

The event, which is free and open to the public, will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. From small booths and pop-up tents, local restaurants and catering operations will again serve 2-ounce portions of their take on what some people consider to be the ultimate comfort food.

It'll be similar to a block party, according to marketing materials for the second annual event, with live music, clowns and balloon twisters. . . .

Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,794,772 times
Best burger is Aspen for price.. Little Annies Restaurant - Aspen Dining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado