U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,427 times

Advertisements

We have been considering moving to Colorado but want to land in the right spot. We have two kids age 5 and 14. We love camping, hunting and fishing and i need work as a electrician. We love the woods but dont want to commute to far. Schools are important for the kids, and fairly priced housing. Where to move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM

345 posts, read 761,855 times
Woods? There are no "woods" here like you are thinking if you are from the more green and rainy states. Fishing you can find but most of the lakes are man made and have limited fishing areas. Some have small swim areas others not at all. They seem to be mroe geared toward water craft at least the ones we go to.

I will not camp at all this Summer here due to the wildfires, but maybe next year.

What do you consider a fairly priced rental? Like a grand a month?

A job first would be the most important thing to get before worrying about an area to live. Those are hard to come by and I am not sure how the fires will effect the current sluggish economy.
With kids there is no way I would move without having a job even if you had enough savings for 6 months. With kids one emergency like falling off a scooter and breaking a bone without insurance can cost you over 4k and wipe out your savings.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:50 PM

539 posts, read 1,673,406 times
I'm also considering the move, have a house to rent all lined up in a great neighborhood and area, it's ideal for my family and I however I have no job lined up but confident I could land one within a month. I look daily at all different sites for jobs there and to me it seems very promising and opportunistic compared to where I live where most are unemployed and crime is high because people are scraping for money around here.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 PM

4,648 posts, read 9,171,228 times
OP, good schools and a good job are important to you, so you will be concentrating your search in what is called the Front Range. This means Denver, Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins and Pueblo. There are many threads on all of these cities, especially what people consider to be "good schools", so you have lots of reading to do. Maybe you could look through the on-line classifieds for jobs in these cities? Denver includes many suburbs such as Littleton, Englewood, Centennial, Aurora, Arvada, Westminster, Broomfield, Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, etc. What do you consider to be "fairly priced" housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or