Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 19,452 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to SW Colorado and were recommended Bayfield for its proximity to Durango and affordability. When researching the Forest Lakes subdivision we noticed a large amount of houses for sale, and foreclosures. The homes seem reasonable priced. Is there something wrong with this neighborhood? We have driven through it many years ago and it seemed ok. Has it changed? Are there infrastructure problems? Plowing, water, sewer, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:55 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
IMO, it is not one of the nicer areas. There are older homes situated very close together. I haven't heard the nicest things about it but not from anyone there directly so I won't share those opinions.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Thanks stoymonkey! I seem to recall the homes in the valley being very close together and not very nice. I thought it was nicer up the hill. I think I will have to make a trip up just to check it out. thanks again.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,572 times
My wife & I looked at Forest Lakes when we were looking for land 2 years ago. It did not make a very good impression on us. The properties in Forest Lakes seem to be a hodgepodge of all different home values with no distinction between the values in each area of the subdivision. $250K homes next to $600K homes, houses too close to each other, etc. It was quite disappointing and we personally had no interest in buying or building there. There just seemed to be no organization to the place and we obviously saw numerous unkempt properties due to the foreclosures.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Forest Lakes is a long commute if you need to work in Durango especially in winter. I worked there alot and it was a real pain all those windy dirt roads. lots used to be really cheap and I mean cheap so a lot of folks bought and built so it survived and what? out in the middle of nowhere with no jobs and bird crap on your new suv everyday.I live in Montezuma county and can get to Durango faster and dont deal with a HOA. pass on it

Old 06-30-2012, 05:14 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I looked at Forest Lakes when I was going through Durango a few years ago and giving my (last) thoughts to moving to Colorado. There was one job in Durango with my name on it. I liked the modesty of houses in Forest Lakes, but realized I would be driving at night on that road and basically living the same quasi-isolated life I live with my work hours here in the East. I did get concerned about living somewhere without municipal water/sewage/roads, as I have had a bad experience with an ordinary condo in the city and don't ever want to be part of a private group for basic infrastructure stuff. I also realized I am a town person at heart (maybe edge of town, but town) and that I didn't want the only job of its type for some 200 miles around, and at short money at that.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,339 times
I LOVE Forest Lakes. Sure, in the meadow, all the houses are on top of each other but get away from there and the houses sit on 1 acre plus. Then no one has a fence so your property appears larger than what it really is. The temperature in the summer is at least 10 degrees cooler than in town. It takes me 30 minutes to get to work (Durango) and in the winter, the FLMD keeps the road clear in the winter. My neighbors are great, the wildlife is fabulous, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the area.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,974 times
my husband and I are moving to Forrest Lakes on July 9. We had a bad experience with our mover and we are now moving ourselves. My husband is an l left amputee and is limited to some things since our house is 2 stories. We don't want a hand out why we would like is to see if someone would like some work for 1 day possible 2. If you are interested and can lift please email me at [email]independence2507@yahoo.com[/email] or call my husband Jeff. We will pay $10.00. Serious inquiries please I really need to line us the help.

Thank you Karla Winters

Old 07-04-2015, 07:09 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
A number of professional mover helpers in Durango (via phonebook or web, such as this list Durango Movers in Durango, CO | DexKnows.com They charge 2-5 times as much but there are risks involved that account for at least some of that.

Not an endorsement, just saw they advertise taking short notice jobs: Ben's Moving Team Durango CO, 81301

Passed your info on to a strong high school aged kid who lives in the area who seems like a good worker and is try to save for something. If he is interested and available, he has your contact info.

Some other independent leads here, at your own risk: https://westslope.craigslist.org/sea...moving+durango

Do you have a lot of heavy stuff, to go to second floor? If so, you might want to go professional for at least that part.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-04-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado