U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 AM

276 posts, read 1,228,358 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved to Colorado early this year and I recently applied for my Colorado RN license. I have 10 years of experience, worked when my older children were young, but was fortunate enough to be able to take the last 3 years off after my 3rd child was born.

I received an e-mail from the board of nursing letting me know that I am required to take an RN refresher course in order for me to obtain my license since I have no work experience in the last 2 years. I was completely shocked! Nowhere on the BON website was this mentioned (at least that I could find). I have been keeping up with my CEUs as required by the state where I was originally licensed. I also have an advanced degree so am required to recertify annually for that as well.

The refresher courses list sent to me by the BON are all very lengthy expensive endeavors. I just cannot imagine spending 2-3k for a refresher course, paying for childcare 3 full days/week for 12 weeks and then having to find my own preceptor for 80-120 hours of unpaid supervised clinical time. And possibly not getting a job after all since the market here is tight. I've been licensed in 5 states due to frequent moves/travel assignments and none of them have such requirements. Is this policy just to pad the pockets of these nursing schools? While I realize the state needs to ensure safety standards of licensees, I can't imagine 3 years out of practice should necessitate such measures.

I am trying to figure out how to handle this. Financially, it makes more sense for me to take a short assignment in the state where I was originally licensed - even do a week long flu clinic just do get the experience on my resume. Would this be legit? Also, I'd be happy to take my NCLEX again. Is there something else I can do?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 AM

12,866 posts, read 24,584,458 times
I have never heard of this, anywhere. It sounds like a mistake, especially if the web site doesn't mention it.
The kind of refresher course you mention is held in my area at a private college, and takes as much time and more money than you mention. It is supposedly good for people to get back into med/surg/specialties if they haven't been in them or have been out for a while. (I gather there is the usual quota of "Yes, we're real live professionals," and "Conceiving the nursing care plan kardex matrix" and other such eyes-glaze-over. But I've never heard of it being a requirement, and my state is well populated with over-educated RNs.

I'd ask to see the part of the state board that demands this. It just doesn't sound right. (Maybe you could ask your former traveler agency what they know about reciprocity).

Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,051,749 times
CO is a reciprocity state, and it sounds like you have plenty of licenses - this makes no sense to me, either.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,226,441 times
I would definitely call them and find out why they are requiring you to take the refresher courses. You didn't mention whether your license is your former state is active. If it's not, this may be why they are requiring you to take a refresher course.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 PM

85,099 posts, read 99,227,733 times
I have heard of this, and recently. I know a couple of people who had to do the refresher course for various reasons.

The "reciprocity" thing is only with certain states. It's actually called a "compact".

https://www.ncsbn.org/nlc.htm

I think your best course of action is to call the BON.

Please note that some of the people posting here are not RNs, and some do not live in CO.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,226,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have heard of this, and recently. I know a couple of people who had to do the refresher course for various reasons.

The "reciprocity" thing is only with certain states. It's actually called a "compact".

https://www.ncsbn.org/nlc.htm

I think your best course of action is to call the BON.

Please note that some of the people posting here are not RNs, and some do not live in CO.
You're right. I'm not a RN, but my husband is (BSN, RN). He received his initial license in Colorado and now practices in Oregon. I'm just offering a bit of advice here. My suggestion is the same as yours. Call.

Last edited by delta07; 07-04-2012 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 AM

85,099 posts, read 99,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
You're right. I'm not a RN, but my husband is (BSN, RN). He received his initial license in Colorado and now practices in Oregon. I'm just offering a bit of advice here. My suggestion is the same as yours. Call.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado