U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM

26 posts, read 41,962 times

Advertisements

My family and I are set to visit CO at the end of next week, visiting Ft. Collins, Avon, and CO Springs. Our reservations are not pre-paid so we are able to cancel if needed.

However, I just want to get some perspective from those of you who live there. Is it safe to visit the Ft. Collins and CO Springs areas, regarding risk of fire (if not, is there a lot of smoke still in the air)? While this doesn't bother me at all, I have two 3-year-olds who might not do so well with it.

I'm also trying to see what I can do to help. Of course since we will be on the road we wouldn't be in a position to offer shelter. However, there are a bunch of clothes in my closet that are very gently used and haven't been worn in ages. If there are any legitimate charities that are taking clothing donations, or just cash, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm also a runner and have done several races in which the proceeds go to a good cause. If there's anything like this that's being organized, I'd love to sign up.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,926,422 times
You'll be fine. Most of the attractions and trails have opened back up in Colorado Springs. The High Park fire is fully contained and the Waldo Canyon fire is 55% contained (probably more, they are estimating low). There are charities that will gladly take your donations as many people have lost their homes in both locations.

Have a wonderful time!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,187,460 times
What a thoughtful and considerate post!
You should be fine, as the previous poster noted.
Here's a website with info on ways people can help Home

Old 07-02-2012, 02:36 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,120,672 times
The main caution that I would offer is that conditions remain tinder dry over most all of Colorado. That means that new fires can start just about anywhere at any time. The 7-day weather forecast indicates that at least some Monsoonal moisture may make it into Colorado, especially the southern half of the state, which may help the fire situation some, but elevated fire danger is likely to remain a factor for the whole summer, unless the Southwest Monsoon is much more active than normal. A new drought assessment is coming from USDA/NOAA on July 5th, but I suspect it will remain pretty grim.

Also, people need to understand the difference between "agricultural" drought and "hydorlogical" drought. A week or two of good Monsoonal moisture with widesrpead moderate rain could do a lot to reduce fire danger--moisture like that could improve soil moisture and restore moisture to grasses and trees. That would be a reduction in agricultural drought. Hydrologic drought is another matter. Monsoonal moisture typically does next to nothing to reduce that. That means that the low streamflows and drawing down of reservoirs in Colorado is "baked in the cake" for 2012. Only a return to normal or, better yet, above normal winter precipitation can do much to reduce Colorado's hydrological drought. People who think a few days of Monsoonal rain will suddenly improve streamflows and refill reservoirs are sadly mistaken.

Last edited by jazzlover; 07-02-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 928 times
I live in Fort Collins, just drove up Poudre Canyon today. It's fine, there's no smoke anymore, and it was raining up a little ways. Rafters were going down the river, fishermen were fishing. The monsoonal flow is about to start, which means afternoon rains most days. We're out of the woods for now. Have a safe trip! more info is at either
[URL="http://www.colorado.com"]www.colorado.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.visitfortcollins.com"]www.visitfortcollins.com[/URL]

Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 PM

18,984 posts, read 8,906,249 times
I did my 2 mile walk today in downtown Colorado Springs. No smoke at that time. Then in the late afternoon I went over to Garden Of The Gods...quite crowded, but no smoke. Up here on the east side no smoke at my house all day...but...once some smoke did come in the early evening for a little while. I think the smoke factor will depend on the direction of the winds.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM

5,607 posts, read 20,203,766 times
You can still come to Colorado and have a good time, but I'd spend all your time in the mountains. The whole front range is stinking hot, literally.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 PM

85,027 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpt1984 View Post
My family and I are set to visit CO at the end of next week, visiting Ft. Collins, Avon, and CO Springs. Our reservations are not pre-paid so we are able to cancel if needed.

However, I just want to get some perspective from those of you who live there. Is it safe to visit the Ft. Collins and CO Springs areas, regarding risk of fire (if not, is there a lot of smoke still in the air)? While this doesn't bother me at all, I have two 3-year-olds who might not do so well with it.

I'm also trying to see what I can do to help. Of course since we will be on the road we wouldn't be in a position to offer shelter. However, there are a bunch of clothes in my closet that are very gently used and haven't been worn in ages. If there are any legitimate charities that are taking clothing donations, or just cash, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm also a runner and have done several races in which the proceeds go to a good cause. If there's anything like this that's being organized, I'd love to sign up.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
In addition to Neditate's link, I will say about donations: The Red Cross and other relief agencies have been saying that the best donation is money.
I posted this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here. The City of Louisville is having a fundraiser in downtown Louisville tomorrow night.
Announcements (5)

Thanks for wanting to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado