U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 PM

10,886 posts, read 41,328,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I am south east of Tulsa and will retire next year. Of course, selling a ranch will not be easy but I like the Trinidad area. Cheap, scenic and lots to do compared to southeast OK. I can take the heat of CO any day to OK.
As one of Colorado's significantly economically depressed areas, Trinidad offers some good values for those who are not dependent upon earning a living there and are not in a hurry for trades services as they set up, build, or maintain a house/structure.

But I'd have a hard time characterizing that area as having "lots to do", and the winters ... while shorter in duration than further North ... can be rather brutal in the Trinidad area, too. I've friends that bought in the Aguilar area with a view toward a milder winter climate than the Denver foothills area for a retirement home. Property access has been nearly impossible for the last decade's worth of winters, and getting contractors out to the property to stick build a house, let alone do the site prep work ... has been almost impossible. The manana attitude of the local contractors appears to be a problem ... and even though they claim financial distress and the need for meaningful work/projects, taking advantage of the available paying work doesn't seem to be a motivating factor to get projects accomplished. After years of earnest attempts to build their retirement dream house, my friends have now given up on a site built stick home and outbuildings in favor of factory built housing/structures that will be transported to the site and erected by an out-of-state contractor.

Having recently been through this area, passing through 4 times while on business trips ... I was amazed at the amount of boarded up, abandoned, or closed storefronts in Trinidad compared to just a few years ago. A very nice reasonably priced motel that I had stayed at many times in the past, they used to come pick me up at the airstrip, since it's a ways out of town ... I had assumed that they would be available when I came through this year. Not only was the motel shut down, but several of my favorite flea market/antique stores closed. As well, a number of mom 'n pop mexican restaurants I used to enjoy are now long gone and the restaurant trade dollars are going to the chain franchise outlets in the area ... good for WIFI and clean bathrooms, but little else.

Given an opportunity to compare "things to do" between the Trinidad area and SE OK ... I'm not seeing any advantage to Trinidad. SE OK certainly has the benefit of so many more close-in forest areas, lakes, fishing, hunting, cycling, hiking, and camping opportunities ... and regionally close access to a major city (Dallas) for the restaurants, shopping, entertainment, transportation, medical, or other needs. The humid climate there doesn't agree with me, either, but that's a whole different topic than comparing "things to do" ...

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-04-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,202,483 times
The absolutely cheapest place to live in Colorado is the Denver Metro area. The reason is you will have the advantages of amenities and benefits not found in any other part of the State. That is why more poor people, who need cheap places, live in and near a major city and so it is the same for Denver.

One of the biggest cost of life is buying and maintaining a car. In the metro area, you can live without a car because there is good to excellent public transit in many areas. You just need to choose a wise place to live. It is only place in the State under the RTD district that has that extensive public transit.

You will have more choices of housing with many variable cost. There are housing that is very cheap because the areas has places that are depressed and not in great demand. Not all the areas are in Denver because there are areas in some of challenged suburbs that can offer very cheap housing. I am not talking about living in a high demand area but you necessarily do not have to live in a severe depressed area.

You will be near and have the advantages of many public health agencies and social programs that can give you help, if you know where to look. More poor people means more programs for the poor, and more programs for the poor attract more poor people. There are many places run by non-profit agencies that can provide help and more government, Federal, State, Counties and Cities, funded agencies. On the extreme end of cheap for free food and free overnight lodgings is the central core of Denver that attracts all the homeless people.

You will find that everyday basic commodities of that are needed for living are much cheaper in a larger area because there are more choices of competitive marketing. Groceries is cheap and there are many stores like the Bread stores of Oroweat and Wonder that sell dated products because the large bakeries are here. There are salvage food and grocery dated outlets. Clothing and furniture are cheaper. You can even go to many of the places that take and recycle discarded clothes and furniture. Healthcare is cheaper and readily available like Goodwill. Living in some of these remote areas of the State may appear cheap for housing but you will pay more for all the other necessities of life.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-04-2012 at 10:17 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,069,687 times
To me everyone has different circumstances, so the way I look at it, if you can find a job that pays enough to support the lifestyle you desire in that particular place, then go for it.

Colorado is a long desired state by many. Hence, there is often lots of competition for good jobs and nice real estate and towns do not come cheap.

The places that are inexpensive usually are very isolated or have a lack of employment or business opportunities. Like most things in life, anything that is cheap, there is usually good reason for it.

The I-25 corridor with mainly Denver and Colorado Springs is basically the most realistic option for most people.

On Trinidad, I haven't been through there for a while, but I have been passing through there for 30 years now. It's always been a rough town, kind of dumpy as well and you'll certainly have a rustic lifestyle living around there. I'm certain they have tried over the years here and there, but it's never been an impressive town.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 PM

10,886 posts, read 41,328,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
On Trinidad, I haven't been through there for a while, but I have been passing through there for 30 years now. It's always been a rough town, kind of dumpy as well and you'll certainly have a rustic lifestyle living around there. I'm certain they have tried over the years here and there, but it's never been an impressive town.
Trinidad's heyday was in the mining era of the late 1880's, and somewhat through the era of long distance travelers coming through Colorado when roads were slower and cars didn't make the distances that they reliably do today. So Trinidad was a convenient stopping point, especially in winter travel when Raton Pass could be shut down with inclement driving conditions. But with modern cars, I-25 highway speeds, better wintertime road maintenance/plowing ... the need for travelers to stop enroute over the long distances of the Western USA is greatly diminished; hence the lesser business climate in Trinidad with all the business closures of the past few years.

IIRC, most of the mining in the area was coal mining ... a hard labor job without the prospect of glamour and riches to be found in the silver and gold mining areas of Colorado. Trinidad isn't far from the infamous 1914 coal miner's strike/massacre site at Ludlow. The coal mining district ran from Trinidad to Walsenburg, with several companies controlling most of the coal production there using very low-paid immigrant labor ... which is why the towns were never much more than minimal business centers; the local economy couldn't support anything more.

Mining activity and extractive industries have all but disappeared in the area. That leaves ranching as a primary income generator, and that's always been a marginally producing business there. Tourism has never been a strong point, either, so the hospitality industry hasn't been well developed there.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-05-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,406,504 times
You might want to look at Pueblo as its been rated as the second most affordable place to live in the nation and has great scenery. Now it can be a challenge finding a job here but it can be done you just have to apply as we have a growing downtown and a few industrial parks.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,491,711 times
I guess I like the Santa Fe Ranch subdivision on the Raton Pass. I want to stay somewhat rural, maybe not running cattle like I do now but room to breathe. Even if one forego the 35 acre subdivisions for one of the historic homes in Trinidad it would take you minutes to get to HWY 12 or up to Veta for the day. I hope my favorite places in Trinidad are not all boarded up. I'll be staying there this September for a few days before going to Chama, NM which we go to every September. Now you got me scared one of my favorite towns is all boarded up.

About Southeast OK, it is always hot and humid. I hate not having snow in the winter. I've lived in the Upper Midwest and even in the mountains of Utah so I do know about snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado